Beiträge von blueman

Did you try installing with all of the data drives disconnected as recommended?

Same error after reinstalling with only the OMV data drive plugged in, only difference is this line, everything else is the same:

ALERT! /dev/sdb1 does not exist. Dropping to a shell!

I did try that before deleting the RAID array, but will try again.

So if I install with just the USB and OMV drive installed, once installed if I get an IP address for web management I can just connect all the drives then wipe and add them from the web management, will the system recognise all the drives (3x hdd controllers) without a reboot?

UPDATE:
    I booted to a live linux USB and created a new partition table on each of the drives including the drive with OMV installed so that all devices were unallocated. I then reinstalled OMV, and now I get the following errors when booting:

mdadm: No arrays found in config file or automatically (repaeated numerous times, then the below line, then this line another 12 times)
    mdadm: error opening /dev/md?*: No such file or directory
    Gave up waiting for root file system device. Common problems:
    -Boot args (cat /proc/cmdline)
    -Check root delay= (did the system wait long enough?)
    -Missing modules (cat /proc/modules; ls /dev)
    ALERT! /dev/sdc1 does not exist. Dropping to a shell!

Busybox v1.22.1
    (initramfs)

I then logged back into a live usb and ran fdisk -l and there were no md devices listed when previously there were, so it seems that the previous RAID array is now gone and all RAID superblocks are removed from each drive and all drives are listed as unallocated in gparted, but OMV can still see an MD array from somewhere?

Hi all,

I've just installed OMV, and upon reboot I am getting a boot loop with the following message displayed briefly before restarting and repeating, I suspect it is a compile issue in the Linux kernel but have no idea how to resolve it:

"sg version magic 3.10.105 SMP mod_unload should be 4.14.0-0.bpo.3-amd64 smp mod_unload modversions"

This stays for a few seconds then I get a page full of similar errors very quickly followed by a reboot.

Any idea how to fix?

Thanks @tkaiser for the thorough explanation, and I do agree about a RAID1 mirror being a waste of space with the potential of data corruption as opposed to a backup plan to an external drive with rsync or similar.

So my understanding is that your recommendation would be to create a ZFS RAIDZ volume over RAID-5, which I understand can be done in OMV with a plugin? I've seen some info about that browsing the forums so I'll look into that.

@Mr.Grape & @tkaiser
    Clearly you have issues with RAID after browsing these forums, and seem to be very knowledgeable on the subject, so I'd be interested in your opinions on best use scenario.

I have used ZFS with nas4free and freenas in the past and replaced a faulty drive in that scenario with minimal disruption or data loss. I have also used RAID5 in my Xpenology system also with a failed drive that was replaced with minimal disruption and data loss.

My NAS usage scenario is for:
    -keeping personal and important files (photos and documents) which are also backed up onto an external drive and partially in cloud storage
    -for storing my media collection of music and converted DVD's
    -for temporarily storing numerous computer backups for a short period of time (approx 1 month) for my computer repair business

I have external backups of my important files (documents and pictures) both onsite and offsite for if something drastic happens. My media collection I am happy to just have redundancy as it is quite a large collection that would require alot of additional storage for backups and if I lose (although frustrating and time consuming) I could convert again if need be. The customer backups are there for peace of mind but technically are not my responsibility IF something happened, and again would require alot of additional storage to keep 'backed up'.

So with approximately 10TB of fluctuating data and the info above, what would you suggest as a 'good solution' for what I need to do? I currently have 8 2TB drives in a RAID5 array handling this and as I say I have had to replace drives over the years without losing the data and only sacrificing 2TB of storage. To back it all up I would need an equal amount of backup storage despite your claims of 'wasted' storage in a RAID array.

I'm asking this objectively as I am open to alternative solutions, but so far you have only given reasons not to do it based on personal experience and knowledge, but haven't offered a better alternative solution?

No backup strategy/implementation?

Not too worried about backup beyond the RAID array, I have my photos stored on an external drive and the RAID array should be enough redundancy for the rest of the data, if it was lost due to theft or something else unforseen it would be annoying but not the end of the world.

Automatic rebuild in OMV ins't supported, it is on Synology and WD,but here you need to do it manually.

Oh, OK. So if I had a drive failure and had notifications/reports turned on, I would be emailed if there was a drive failure, then I could replace the faulty drive and begin the rebuild/repair from the webgui?

Hi all,

I'm planning to install my first OMV system and after reading numerous guides it looks to be a good choice! I'm coming from an xpenology system and previously had used FreeNAS/NAS4Free.

I would like some advice on storage setup for my system. Previously I had 8x 2TB drives in RAID5 and for the new build would like to add 2x 3TB drives. My thoughts are to run the OMV OS with all plugins, configurations etc on the 2x 3TB drives as a RAID mirror, and then create a RAID 5 volume for the 8x 2TB drives to store my network shares.

Would I be best in that case to create a RAID1 volume in BIOS to install OMV, then create a RAID 5 volume within OMV from the other drives? Or am I better/is it possible to create a smaller partition on the RAID1 volume for OMV then add the remaining storage of the RAID1 volume to my RAID5 volume in OMV?

I'm open to any suggestions, my main priority is data redundancy for drive failure, I don't mind the wait time of a rebuild if a disk needs to be replaced as long as everything is 'automated'.

Thanks in advance!