Beiträge von MrSandstorm

I have a modest configuration, OMV4, Athlon II X2 250 3.0, 6GB RAM DDR3 and 4TB for data.
    Use FTP, SMB, CUPs, MySQL and NGINX for Nextcloud.

My C2D (an E7400 btw, just realised now I forgot to say this in my original post) should deliver about the same performance level as your Athlon, so it does give me peace of mind that despite the age, my hardware should be enough for the job.

You need good NICs so if you want to stay with onboard stuff ECS already lost since 'Atheros AR8112 10/100 LAN' -- that's Fast Ethernet and therefore too slow.

Again: CPU horsepower and amount of RAM are 100% irrelevant for your use case, you need a good NIC with some offloading instead.

Intel board it is then. Thanks for the heads-up! And I guess I'll give the Celeron a try, since CPU power is irrelevant, the lower TDP becomes the next best thing.

About the ODROID boards, I had given it some thought, but I just upgraded my rendering/encoding machine recently and I'm not willing to invest any money in hardware at the moment. The HC1 and HC2 are really good products though, and I might pick one up at some point in the future.

Both replies did clarify a lot of stuff for me, thanks everyone for the help!

Hi,

I've got some old hardware lying around gathering dust, and decided to build a NAS to give it some purpose. The idea is for it to be a simple content delivery platform for other devices in my home network, namely phones, chromecasts and a separate encoding machine, that should read it's input video/audio files from the NAS and write it's output to it. In total, there should be no more than 3, maybe 4 devices interacting with the NAS at any given time.

All content intended for the media devices will already be encoded to compatible formats and all my devices are set to communicate via SMB, so there won't be any encoding or dedicated media server running on the NAS, just an SMB server.

The hardware I have available is:

Motherboard:
    Intel DG31PR
    or
    ECS G31T-M7

CPU:
    Celeron 450 (1-core, 2.2GHz, 800MHz FSB, 512KB L2, 35W) - Avarage CPU Mark: 626
    or
    Core 2 Duo (2-core, 2.8GHz, 1066MHz FSB, 3MB L2, 65W) - Avarage CPU Mark: 1775

RAM:
    1GB DDR2 667MHz (Markvision)
    or
    2GB DDR2 80MHz (Corsair)

I've looked in this forum and elsewhere for information regarding to the performance requirements for my use case, but couldn't find anything particlarly useful for this specific hardware combination, so I decided to ask for help from people more experienced/knowledgeable than I am in the subject.

What would be the most power-efficient combination of these parts that can deliver enough performance for my use case? Can I get away with using the Celeron? By the way, I'm willing to overclock/underclock the CPUs if it's beneficial to the use case.