Beiträge von ArchaicLord

Hello,
    So previously I installed and ran FreeNas from one 32G SandDisk Cruiser USB. (I.E Burned the installs files a USB, Plugged that USB into the box installed the FreeNas from that USB onto the same USB)

I tried to do the same process for OMV. When I got the partitioning part of the install I got a red box and saying something about no ext4 partition to install onto.
    After that failing. I tried to reinstall again encase I done something wrong. When I booted of the USB I just got a blinking cursor which makes me wonder that I can't install onto the same USB.

Do I need a second USB to install OMV to? The box I have only has 4 slots for HDD which I want and need to use for my 4 x 2T drives. I don't have room for another disk.

I tried to do some reading on how to do this but didn't' get very far. I only got more concerns. I read on OMV sites that it is not recommended to install OMV on a USB. Which I find odd as its just the OS the writes will be happening on the disks not the OS.

I also read there are several ways to install OMV. Which makes me wonder what is the best method I should be using?

Should I continue to do it the way I am trying?
    Should I try to learn how to install Debian LInux on the USB instead. After that Should I install lamp and set it up manually, should I use docker?

I hope I have withheld the rant.

Hello,
    So previously I installed and ran FreeNas from one 32G SandDisk Cruiser USB. (I.E Burned the installs files a USB, Plugged that USB into the box installed the FreeNas from that USB onto the same USB)

I tried to do the same process for OMV. When I got the partitioning part of the install I got a red box and saying something about no ext4 partition to install onto.
    After that failing. I tried to reinstall again encase I done something wrong. When I booted of the USB I just got a blinking cursor which makes me wonder that I can't install onto the same USB.

Do I need a second USB to install OMV to? The box I have only has 4 slots for HDD which I want and need to use for my 4 x 2T drives. I don't have room for another disk.

I tried to do some reading on how to do this but didn't' get very far. I only got more concerns. I read on OMV sites that it is not recommended to install OMV on a USB. Which I find odd as its just the OS the writes will be happening on the disks not the OS.

I also read there are several ways to install OMV. Which makes me wonder what is the best method I should be using?

Should I continue to do it the way I am trying?
    Should I try to learn how to install Debian LInux on the USB instead. After that Should I install lamp and set it up manually, should I use docker?

I hope I have withheld the rant.