Beiträge von zeux

Thanks for your help. I decided to go with the third solution for now: 1x 3TB Green only for timemachine (this way I let timemachine that use a lot of small files that change frequently out of snapraid), and I will also have the media downloads protected with snapraid.

I was reading some more documents and as far I understood right now I have two solutions:

1) Use Raid 1 for the 2x Red 4TB for important data, and use MergerFS (or similar) for 2x Green 3TB (with content I don't mind to lose), which result in 10TB (4 + 3 +3)

2) Use SnapRaid with one of the 4TB hard drives serving as parity, and the other 3 for data (1x Red 4TB + 2x Green 3TB), merged with MergerFS?, which also result in 10TB

Have to decide wish is the best solution, having in consideration that:
    1) WD Greens may not be so reliable and they already have a couple of years (not so many use tho)
    2) I pretend to use the NAS has timemachine backup also, and not sure if SnapRaid is the most suitable for that

edit: a third solution would be to use a single 3TB drive for timemachine backups, and use SnapRaid on the other (4TB drive for parity, 3 + 4 as data)

Hi guys

I'm new to openmediavault, I have been using freenas with an old computer having 3TB in Raid 1, but now got new hardware and decided to move to OMV.

Regarding storage right now I have 2x WD Red 4Tb and 2x WD Green 3TB. My plan is to use the 4TB drives for my important data (documents, photos, archives projects), so I pretend to have some kind of fallback here, and using the 3TB drives just to store not so important stuff (movies, timemachine backup, etc). I know any kind of Raid is not a backup so I'm also planning to use some cloud backup.

My question is regarding the data storage disks. Should I go with the default Raid 1 (mirror) used by OMV (MDADM) or with the Snapraid solution? The files shouldn't change over time, so as far as I have read Snapraid could be a good candidate, but does it works good with only 2 disks?