Beiträge von Chrisjay

Most 'modern' m'boards allow you to do a bios update from within the bios itself, some you have to download the file, copy it to a flash drive the just point to that drive from within the bios.

Shouldn't be necessary, the install takes care of that.

Worst case scenario if this fails again perhaps a Debian net install then install OMV using this script

Sadly I want through everything. I even did a fresh format of the boot drive and a fresh install of the OS. but now only one drive, beside the boot ssd drive, is mountable/viewable

I think my next step is to try to install a older ISO than the newest, or try to install a debian lite and OMV on top. people say it should be more stable that way, but I am not sure and I would also have to find the correct OS. I will update when I am gone through those processes.

Edit I added the system log of a freshly install OS of the newest version. reboot in the GUI are not stable and manual turning on sometimes makes the NAS shutdown after some seconds of turning on. I dont know if it is useful with the system log but I though it might be before I start trying an older OS.

Edit 2: now all the error codes came in the system log

Update.

Okay i tried to install other former version of OMV 4.1.22. and the same error codes appeared. But only if I had certain disk in the sata ports. One disk would make the constant error codes and another would prevent the motherboard from booting. It is very good but as least I know it is not the software's fault. But it is kinda worse since I can't afford new hard drives now and I bought the next motherboard to run 4 hdd (5) at the same time instead of only 2 on the rock64pro. I will try to fiddle around with it, maybe changing cables would work, i doubt it but I hope.

I am starting to wonder if my new motherboard is default. Now the hdd that worked are stopping the OMV from booting.

Update 2 okay I am going crazy now I am loosing connection to more HDDs and only one is visible. But since it is a hardware relates problem then I should not take more of your time, thanks for the help and sorry about the problem.

The device sdd seems to be defective.

sorry what I meant by viewable I can illuminate with these pictures

https://imgur.com/a/Jb0uOUh

The sdb1-3 is the boot ssd. I think I will try to format the boot drive and reinstall omv. Maybe that would help.

By the way I am guessing that you are looking forward to the new dune movie coming up based on your profile picture :)

thanks for the reply. Your answer gave me, maybe, a solution, I am not sure anymore if I formatted my boot ssd to ext4 or if I just jammed it in when I bough it. Maybe I could try that.

I have never updated the bios, I did not know how to do it in Linux, only in windows. But I seems to understand by googling that the windows pc is only used for making the iso image to a usb. So I will try that soon.

I installed the os with the official guide, downloaded the iso on my pc, and made the image on a usb with “etcher”

I will also try playing with the startup setting in the bios. And double check the sata ports with the manual of the motherboard.

Sorry for the slow response, it have been a stressful day and it is a bit hard to find “playtime” with building the nas. I will process as fast as possible. Thanks for the answer.

Leave the format to complete

So I finally had the disk formatted, in OMV, but it is still not viewable.

I added a pictures of the codes I get when I change the internet settings in firstaid, it does apply the setting successfully but I get a lot of error codes in between.

https://imgur.com/a/igvBX2m

I also managed to take some pictures of the start up process. (I am using a TV, because I dont have a pc monitor ready)

https://imgur.com/a/dguo01b

The odd thing is that turning on the nas have become very slow and unreliable. meaning sometimes it will shutdown during the startup process or just never start up OMV.

I added the system log, I have removed my IP address and replace it with "xxx" I dont know how important it is to hide our IP addresses so I dont know if it a bit to much.

:?: ?( Use OMV if the drive is displayed in Storage -> Disks select it click wipe on the menu and select short, when finished File Systems -> Add from the menu, in the dialog give the drive a label then select ext4, wait for it to finish then mount it if it doesn't mount automatically. Ensure you click apply to write the changes.

Sorry maybe I was not accurate enough. I meant to say that it was just a precursor when I notice all the errors showing up in the system log. I did not have that problem before so I dont know what triggered it. I have tried to format it one time in ext4 but I am doing it a second time now.

What is odd is all the error codes I get when using omv-firstaid

I would like to show a copy of the errors coming but I am making a secure slow format now with OMV instead of using windows (program: AOMEI Partition Assistant Standard Edition 8.1) and I am afraid that running the firstaid program now could interrupt the formatting.

So I will try to make it short. I started to loose some connection to a fat34 HDD so I formatted it too ext4 in Windows but I saved my files first. But I kept loosen more connections to my hdd and got a lot of errors in my system log. 34 pages in 2 minutes so it was too long to copy into this forum. So I did a fresh install.

But I keep getting the same errors over and over again.

Blk_update_requst: Buffer I/O error, dev sdd, sector 0 op 0x0: (read) flag 0x0 phys_seg 1 prior class 0

Exception emask 0x0 sact 0x0 action 0x0

Drdy err

Error: (UNC)

Failed command: read dma

And a lot more. I am using a Asrock j5005 with 16gb ram.

I also get the same errors over and over again while trying to use first aid on the network configuration. The same happens when I try to setup the web panel setting.

Maybe my ssd is already dead that I bought less than a month ago, it seems unlikely but I simply don't know what do to.

But in fistaid the configuration status is valid. And rrd database is also valid.

Also sometimes I can get into the web gui but the same errors keep being spammed in then system log. Also I can see all 5 hdd in the disk section in the guide but only 4 is growable in the file system section.

The hdds that is not viewable I just freshly formatted from fat34 to ext4

Thanks for your time.

here is a very small part of all the errors I am getting, there is so much and this is not even 1/10 of everything so I am not sure what to add but this is the first part:

That worked.

Thanks a lot. It was properly because I had to pull the ethernet plug during the OS installation because I would get stuck in a endless blue screen during the IPv6 install.

How could you know that it was the problem ? Maybe it is too broad a question, if it is please dont feel pressured to answer. I just like to learn so I dont ask simple question all the time :) Maybe there is a website with "common error" codes I could look into ?

Thanks for the help again.

Hello

I am started to learn OMV on a PC instead of a SBC. I freshly installed OMV5 on a SSD.

I sadly cant install OMV-extra, and every time I try to update in the GUI i get a long error message:

I have tried apt-update/upgrade in SSH without helping. Also one odd thing, is might be related to me not being able to update, I cant find OMV extra to install docker? Maybe I have bodged up the installation OS the some where. But I hope someone can help.

Thanks for your time

From

Christoffer

Code
    Failed to execute command 'export PATH=/bin:/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/local/sbin; export LANG=C.UTF-8; apt-get update 2>&1' with exit code '100': Ign:1 cdrom://[Debian GNU/Linux 10 _Buster_ - Official Snapshot amd64 LIVE/INSTALL Binary 20200921-17:33] buster InRelease Get:2 file:/var/cache/openmediavault/archives InRelease Ign:2 file:/var/cache/openmediavault/archives InRelease Err:3 cdrom://[Debian GNU/Linux 10 _Buster_ - Official Snapshot amd64 LIVE/INSTALL Binary 20200921-17:33] buster Release Please use apt-cdrom to make this CD-ROM recognized by APT. apt-get update cannot be used to add new CD-ROMs Get:4 file:/var/cache/openmediavault/archives Release Ign:4 file:/var/cache/openmediavault/archives Release Get:5 file:/var/cache/openmediavault/archives Packages Ign:5 file:/var/cache/openmediavault/archives Packages Get:6 file:/var/cache/openmediavault/archives Translation-en Ign:6 file:/var/cache/openmediavault/archives Translation-en Get:5 file:/var/cache/openmediavault/archives Packages Ign:5 file:/var/cache/openmediavault/archives Packages Get:6 file:/var/cache/openmediavault/archives Translation-en Ign:6 file:/var/cache/openmediavault/archives Translation-en Get:5 file:/var/cache/openmediavault/archives Packages Ign:5 file:/var/cache/openmediavault/archives Packages Get:6 file:/var/cache/openmediavault/archives Translation-en Ign:6 file:/var/cache/openmediavault/archives Translation-en Get:5 file:/var/cache/openmediavault/archives Packages Ign:5 file:/var/cache/openmediavault/archives Packages Get:6 file:/var/cache/openmediavault/archives Translation-en Ign:6 file:/var/cache/openmediavault/archives Translation-en Get:5 file:/var/cache/openmediavault/archives Packages Ign:5 file:/var/cache/openmediavault/archives Packages Get:6 file:/var/cache/openmediavault/archives Translation-en Ign:6 file:/var/cache/openmediavault/archives Translation-en Get:5 file:/var/cache/openmediavault/archives Packages Ign:5 file:/var/cache/openmediavault/archives Packages Get:6 file:/var/cache/openmediavault/archives Translation-en Ign:6 file:/var/cache/openmediavault/archives Translation-en Get:5 file:/var/cache/openmediavault/archives Packages Get:6 file:/var/cache/openmediavault/archives Translation-en Ign:6 file:/var/cache/openmediavault/archives Translation-en Hit:7 https://deb.debian.org/debian buster-backports InRelease Hit:8 https://packages.openmediavault.org/public usul InRelease Reading package lists... E: The repository 'cdrom://[Debian GNU/Linux 10 _Buster_ - Official Snapshot amd64 LIVE/INSTALL Binary 20200921-17:33] buster Release' does not have a Release file.

This is the details I get when I try to install with the web GUI

Hello gderf

Yes I am sure, my collection (if that is the right English word) isn’t that big. I notice when the docker plex shortly generated the thumbnails, that each picture that was stored on the hdd was around 50kb so it wouldn’t be a problem for me storage wise.

Does the plugin plex also create a picture? I never notice it doing that before. Maybe it create a temporary folder for those pictures?

Well time wouldn’t be a problem, last time I used the plex plugin I used less that 20 min to generate all the thumbnails on the same hardware.

The reason I switch to docker, was that the plugin started to crash. I could watch on mp4 and then when I switch to another video then the connection to the serve would go offline. And when I tried to reinstall the plugin it said there was a lack of resources. Maybe it is a plex update related? Seems to be many forums talking about a new update to plex that are a bit off setting. Or maybe I misread something somewhere.

edit: now the server also go offline after trying to play “next video”, in docker. So I hope my hardware is not failing.

edit 2: So I got it working now, I cant explain what i did. The only thing I did different was a fresh reinstall and I have made 5 reinstall in this process with plex always failing. Maybe, just maybe, It could be that I had plex install in both he docker and plugin at the same time (not running at the same time) or maybe some other factors that I cant seem to understand. I am terrible sorry for the inconvenient of this topic since the solutions was just trying to mass fresh install. sorry again.

I maybe have a stupid question. I have moved from using the plex plugin to using plex in docker. the problem I am having is that the thumbnails for my videos are not generating on the plex docker version?

have tried to follow the offical plex guide but that didnt help.:
    https://support.plex.tv/articl…video-preview-thumbnails/

the oddest thing was that it worked nicely after a reinstall of the image but then I got thrown off the server and had to make a new serven that didnt generation thumbnails.

so maybe it is a hardware issue?
    the data is on 2 HHD, the /transcode, /data and /config is on a usb stick. the HDD was very noisy if they had those folders so that is the reason. the PUID and PGID is both set to 1000.
    I am running it on a Rock64pro 4gb ram.

I read here that one solution could be that the Plex is not running in root? but I am not sure if that is a possibly if it is install from docker
    https://forums.plex.tv/t/solve…nerating-update/154382/36

I also found this article about forcing plex to create thumbnails but I am not sure if I am doing it wrong (I probably am)
    https://forums.plex.tv/t/force-thumbnail-update/18855

I could copy the code below into the "run cmd" button in docket but it just fail.

but in the forum the author also mention "Adjusting for your section number of course" so should the "section 1" below be changed to the name of the folder that need to be scanned ?

Code
    "Plex Media Scanner"  --generate --section 1

but I hope someone can help me since I am getting desperate.

thanks.

Thanks for the additional information. I was wondering if I have the disks spin down like that 1) does it effect their lifespan if they are continually spinning off and on, and 2) how much lag is there to access the media files if the disk has to spin up first?

SMK

Oh I saw this the other day and though I would share since it might interest you.

It is a sata hat for the raspberry pi for so you could run 4 hdd on one raspberry pi on sata connections instead of usb. It is a fairly new product so I don’t know if it is buyable now. But maybe? Good luck on your project.

https://www.cnx-software.com/2…-pi-4-raspberry-pi-4-nas/

I read some threats about added new remotes to the shield and it seems durable if it is the remote that irritates you the most.
    /souce: https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/g…ote-for-nvidia-shield-tv/)

BTW, the raspberry pi 4B use 3.4 watt in idle and 7.6 watt while on load, if you was interested in the power comsumption.
    (souce: https://www.tomshardware.com/r…aspberry-pi-4-b,6193.html)

You can set a specific plan for standbymode, reboot and shutdown. But I haven't played around with it so I would not be classified to talk about it. but you can setup a weekly/daily etc assignment for a specific time, on repeat of that is what you wish. But I dont know if just by using the HDD that the SBC go out of standby or you need to press something, sorry.

But the two HDD I am using have been set to spin down after 5 min. so the power consumption minimal with standby and the disks stop spinning after 5 min of not being used.

You can control that under the "Disks" tap, and the pressing the disk you wish to setup and then pressing "Edit", there is a lot of power management for each disk possible.

Hello

I had the same idea some time ago with a Rockpro64 SBC and I will say, that I would use the Raspberry pi for OMV, the storage part, and then using the nvidea shield as a plex servicer.

The reason is that if your media is needed to be transcoded then you will have a terrible experience. Well, maybe the Raspberry pi 4 is better suited for transcoding than a Rockpro, but I highly doubt it is that big of a difference. So I am guessing that transcoding 1080 will be a nightmare on a plex server on a pi.

here is a good guide on how to mount at NAS on a nvidea shield running plex, and the transcoding performance:

Externer Inhalt www.youtube.com
    Inhalte von externen Seiten werden ohne Ihre Zustimmung nicht automatisch geladen und angezeigt.
    Durch die Aktivierung der externen Inhalte erklären Sie sich damit einverstanden, dass personenbezogene Daten an Drittplattformen übermittelt werden. Mehr Informationen dazu haben wir in unserer Datenschutzerklärung zur Verfügung gestellt.

(it is a bit old but still very informative)

Thank you. It stopped the fail rapports

No sorry, I still get the same fail rapports again, but I am sure it is my mistake, I am not that good at using “nano” or Linux for that matter. I will look into it tomorrow and try again.

I used added the code in the link, exited and saves changed. But I probably should so something before exiting also. I will Google fu some more tomorrow but I am still very happy for your response, I am just still very novice.

Now got it working, I just needed to write the last part as well after using the nano command.

Btw. my hdd still make those strange noise now and again. Do anyone have any experiance with using the seagate barracuda 8TB as a nas hdd? It is a bnit odd that my NAS are making more noise than my PC.

hello

sorry to bother you, I will try to make it quick

I have a HDD, that are making noises (like 2 small startup runs with 1 second apart). and I noted that under my system log that it registered this message over and over again, and usual while the small sound would appear. [I added the code below in the bottom]

So I did some google-fu and tried:

Code
    sudo tune2fs -m 0 /dev/sda2

sda2 was the hdd name I found using

Code
    fdisk -l

but after I set the reserved data to 0% and SSH write that it is succesful in doing so, the datalog just start again showing a similar coade as added below while the HDD make that small sound as described above.

thanks for your time.

From
    Christoffer

PS maybe I should also add that the HDD also to random spinup of 5 sekund with maybe 1 minute apart from each spinup. It is not extreamly noise but rather a very irritaing noice, like a mosquito.

I have set the HDD to do a spindown after 10 min. and are using the 127 power setting.

So I finally got it working. I dont know if it is normal to post the solution but maybe someone is having the same problem as novice me :)

So first I had to update the kernel

I did it in SSH as "root"

Code
    apt-get update
    apt-get install linux-image-4.4.138-1097-rockchip-ayufan-gb5128c0a1684 linux-headers-4.4.138-1097-rockchip-ayufan-gb5128c0a1684 linux-firmware-image-4.4.138-1097-rockchip-ayufan-gb5128c0a1684

Then reboot

Then you can follow the instruction in the link mention above:
    https://github.com/tuxd3v/ats

But I ran these codes again in SSH as "root"

Code
    apt-get install lua5.3 lua5.3-dev luarocks gcc make
    luarocks build https://raw.githubusercontent.com/tuxd3v/ats/master/ats-master-0.rockspec

Then it should be installed and running. Thanks guys for your help.

also source
    https://forum.pine64.org/showthread.php?tid=6953

Hello again

Sorry for bringing up this old post but I think it is more polite instead of making a new of my tiny new problem.

So I got evertyhing up and runing but now the the 4 pin to 2 x sata power cable broke one of the sata power connectors (https://www.pine64.org/?produc…able-for-dual-sata-drives).

So my question is, can I buy this 4 pin to 2 x sata power instead ?

https://smile.amazon.de/gp/pro…smid=A3JWKAKR8XB7XF&psc=1

I am a bit of a loss because the original have that homemade electric stuff inbetween the connections, and maybe the amazon cables would damage the hdds without that homemade stuff inbetween.

the port on the rock 64 pro that I am going to use for the 4 pin have this description; "DC out for SATA disk cable (direct connect from DC-IN)"

and I have the 12V 5A power supply for the bord.

Thanks

From
    Christoffer

PS I though about using the pine64 board but I though it would be rude to ask if I can use another product than their product on their forum.

oh, that is nice to hear, I was afriad of breaking some guide lines.

well seem like I need to do a fresh install of the OS since now the GUI cant seem to find my HDD after a shutdown. Maybe that will help afterwards somehow.

update:
    nope that did no help. well now both my HDD are visible but I still get an install error when I try to follow in install instructions for the "ATS - Active Thermal Service" program.. I am at a lost :/