Beiträge von Jozi

I don't use my server (OMV 4) very often, it spends most of it's time shutdown, earlier today I noticed I no longer had my shortcuts on the splash pages (I forget what this was called but it ran in docker). I've only now had time to have a look into it, when logged into the server I can no longer see any Docker menu under services (I think it used to be there?), I can see it's there under OMV extras and it's on. I'm not even sure where to start looking as to why it's no longer working, it may have updated (or something) and now no longer works? As I mentioned the server spends most of it's time OFF, I do turn it on the odd time to backup files but I don't typically interact with the user interface so I've no idea when it stopped working.

I left my router alone and extended the dhcp lease time to 2 weeks.

I still don't seem to have it working, my two pc have the follwing IP and this is how I entered it in OMV:

192.168.0.122, 192.168.0.220

Is the formatting or seperator wrong or why would it still not go to sleep? Does it matter I installed OMV on debian (debian first)?

---edit---

Btw, that looks like a nice M4!

I've been trying to suss out why the server won't automatically shutdown on me and I think it might be because it is finding devices connected to my network when pinging.

Below is part of the log while in FAKE mode

I might be wrong but it finds 6 ip's however only 1 has access to the server (there is also a 2nd pc which has access), I'm not sure how to determine what the others are. I have a smart tv, smart display, tablet and two mobiles on the same network, which presumably are the others. I'm guessing because those are found it won't shutdown?

It seemed to be working fine, I added both my drives, spent some time setting up Shared Folders and adding them to Samba. Copying of files from the pc to the server works from both pc's.

I removed docker after getting the persistent error, I don't need it yet! I'll be building on the base install over the next while to get a few things working (backup to external drive and cloud) that are more important to docker. Once I need it I'll look into it into more detail.

I noticed after doing all the updates it has a newer version of debian as a boot option, incidentally, thats the debian version which I had problems with at the start!

Thanks for the help in this thread, it's very much appreciate! I would have given up without there being a good forum!

Hi back to her! Very Irish surname! Fortunate no troubles on our end either.

I did a re-install yesterday evening using USA for sources. Strangely enough when copy/pasting from one of the linked pages in this thread nothing worked, however copy/pasting from your previous response did work.

I'm up and running now (on version 4.1.17-1), following this tutorial first and had some errors when I updated the system for two Linux system updates

I noticed I had a lot of errors/warning after running omv-initsystem that said something like this:

Code
    Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/rtl_nic/rtl8168d-1.fw for module r8169

and

Code
    ception ignored in: <function WeakValueDictionary.__init__.<locals>.remove at 0x7f0c098177b8>
    Traceback (most recent call last):
      File "/usr/lib/python3.5/weakref.py", line 117, in remove
    TypeError: 'NoneType' object is not callable
    Exception ignored in: <function WeakValueDictionary.__init__.<locals>.remove at 0x7f0c098177b8>
    Traceback (most recent call last):
      File "/usr/lib/python3.5/weakref.py", line 117, in remove
    TypeError: 'NoneType' object is not callable
    Done ...

It seems to be working now though! Just to add my drives and setup folders etc!

This isn't necessarily related to the the earlier problem, I seem to get some errors when installin Docker as per the tutorial I liked above so I've disabled it for now until I need it.

Hi Flmaxey

I'm not sure if you missed my last post or if I edited it? I decided to try the previous version of Debian and low and behold it worked! I still got a bunch or errors but I'm able to login to OMV through my browser :)

I think the difference in version might have had to do with oppression :P

------edit------

Is it normal not to be able to login through putty once OMV is setup?

Another thing I noticed is that I can't upgrade with either of the 2 packages there as it throws errors

I just installed an earlier version of Debian and I think it's working, I've ran almost all of the 2nd script and it's downloading a bunch of things now!

---edit---

Getting a lot of errors after: omv-initsystem

n:~# W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/rtl_nic/rtl8168d-1.fw for module r8169

I'm just wondering about the beow which I copy pasted exactly as is

cat <<EOF >>/etc/apt/sources.list.d/openmediavault.list
    deb packages.openmediavault.org/public arrakis main
    # debhttp://downloads.sourceforge.net/project/openmediavault/packagesarrakis main
    ## Uncomment the following line to add software from the proposedrepository.
    # deb packages.openmediavault.org/public arrakis-proposedmain
    # debhttp://downloads.sourceforge.net/project/openmediavault/packagesarrakis-proposed main
    ## This software is not part of OpenMediaVault, but is offered bythird-party
    ## developers as a service to OpenMediaVault users.
    # deb packages.openmediavault.org/public arrakis partner
    # debhttp://downloads.sourceforge.net/project/openmediavault/packagesarrakis partner
    EOF

Should I have removed some of the # from the code?

I just did a reinstall, all defaults except for language and location to reflect those for Ireland, network I used WORKGROUP (same as my windows machines) and finally I installed SSH and System Utilities (presumably this is what you meant for Tools?).

I've reboot the system, loged in as myself and the SU to root

I've copied the first script, line for line as per your post followed by the second script also line for line.

The first part, it downloaded something and the final line was followed by an OK

I get an error for the apt-get update see below

I'm not sure what that means but I continued with the other lines

I didn't notice anything happening when doing these lines:

apt-get --yes --auto-remove --show-upgraded \
    --allow-downgrades --allow-change-held-packages \
    --no-install-recommends \
    --option Dpkg::Options::="--force-confdef" \
    --option DPkg::Options::="--force-confold" \

Code
    root@debian:~# apt-get update
    E: Malformed entry 1 in list file /etc/apt/sources.list.d/openmediavault.list (URI parse)
    E: The list of sources could not be read.
    root@debian:~# apt-get --yes --auto-remove --show-upgraded \
    > --allow-downgrades --allow-change-held-packages \
    > --no-install-recommends \
    > --option Dpkg::Options::="--force-confdef" \
    > --option DPkg::Options::="--force-confold" \
    >

Is this correct? I'm pretty sure something isn;t doing what it should somewhere?

When I run this: apt list openmediavault I get the following:

Code
    root@debian:~# apt list openmediavault
    E: Malformed entry 1 in list file /etc/apt/sources.list.d/openmediavault.list (URI parse)
    root@debian:~#

I'm not sure it matters at all at this point but here is the hardware setup:
    - Asrock j4105-itx
    - 16gb ram
    - 64gb SSD (Cruial C300 I think)

No other hardware installed at this moment.

I installed via usb to the ssd drive.

Flmaxey: I really appreciate time time and effort you are putting into help me out with this. My knowledge fall short long before this post has, it was supposed to just work!

I tried a few things, can't remember in which order. If it means reinstalling debian again I will? Maybe I have the wrong version? The file I downloaded is this: debian-9.6.0-amd64-netinst.iso

Nothing happens when I run that command

Code
    jozi@debian:~$ su - root
    Password:
    root@debian:~# apt-get install openmediavault
    E: Type 'cat' is not known on line 10 in source list /etc/apt/sources.list.d/openmediavault.list
    E: Type 'cat' is not known on line 10 in source list /etc/apt/sources.list.d/openmediavault.list
    root@debian:~#

So I had a go at this, my dvd drive wasn't recognised and I couldn't boot from the disc (ISO downloaded and burned to disc using windows built-in burning).

I then tried through putty, I don't think something is working right though

Nothing seems to happen after the first shell script and the second throws some errors?

I found that thread also but I didn't see how he got it setup in the end. I've installed Debian as per this link https://www.pcsuggest.com/debian-minimal-install-guide/ and suggestion above. I did not however do the very last bit of getting repositories and sudo