Beiträge von XYZ1

Hi,

I've installed the UrBackup plugin on my NAS with OMV 4.1.3-1 and the UrBackup client on my PC.

1.) The backup itself seems to be working fine as I can browse the files which have been backed up via the UrBackup web interface ("Backups" -> "Clients") when logging in as default user (=admin).
    I've also created a second user (=user) which can browse the files via the UrBackup web interface ("Backups" -> "Clients") as well.
    However, is it also possible to map the respective folder so that it can be accessed via the Windows Explorer?

2.) It seems like UrBackup is creating the following "Backup storage path" automatically during the installation:
    "/media/BACKUP/urbackup"

Is it possible to change this folder?
    How can I display and or access this folder via OMV and provide the content to the user?

3.) What must be entered into the following field:
    "Server URL:"

If I try to enter the IP address of my NAS with OMV installed I'm getting the following error message:
    "The server URL should be an URL starting with http:// or https://"

However, as far as I know I don't have an URL starting with http:// or https:// for my NAS with OMV installed.

Thanks and best regards!

Hi,

first of all thanks for your reply!

Is my understanding correct that you are using Duplicati for backup the files from the NAS to the cloud as it does support encryption whereas UrBackup doesn't?

If yes, why are you not using Duplicati for both tasks (1. Backup PC -> NAS / 2. Backup NAS -> Cloud)?

Thanks and best regards!

Hi,

I'm still using OMV version 1.X and have the following hardware:
    - HP ProLiant MicroServer N54L
    - 1x Kingston SSD (OMV installed)
    - 2x Western Digital Caviar Green (WD15EARS-00Z) in RAID1

Based on my understanding a version upgrade makes no sense,
    so I will do a clean reinstall of OMV using the latest version and use 2 new harddisks (most likely Western Digital Red) for the RAID1.

Currently I've created some SMB shares and backup my data from PC, Notebook,... to OMV manually every couple of weeks via copy and paste only.

What would be the best approach to backup data (photos, documents, Outlook PST files,...) from specific folders on PC, Notebook and Smartphone (Android based) to OMV within a home network automatically?
    Based on my understanding this should be one of the most basic and common tasks for a NAS despite from providing files and media within a network.
    The files should be stored in a non-prorietary format.

However, there seems to be no simple and reliable solution at least for build your own NAS type of devices.

Some people are using the available rsync plugin and versioning,
    however both machines must be powered on at the same time and there are some warnings that sync is not a backup.

Some people are using Syncthing which is open source and even available for Android.
    However, even Syncthing claimes on there website that it's not recommended for backup puposes (https://docs.syncthing.net/users/faq.html:(

- Should I use a 3rd party open software like Duplicati (no Android support)?

- Should I use a commercial software like Acronis True Image 2018?

- Should I buy a Synology DS218+ and install their Cloud Station Backup tool?

?(

Thanks and best regards!

Hi,
    I've successfully installed OMV 0.4.36.

However, now I want't to create my users and shares structure which should be as follows:

I have two users, let's call them User_1 and User_2.

Both users should have access to the same shares but only to specific folders, here some examples:

\\backup\data\documents\ -> should be possible to be accessed by user_1 and user_2
    \\backup\data\documents\user_1\ -> should be possible to be accessed only by user_1
    \\backup\data\documents\user_2\ -> should be possible to be accessed only by user_2

\\backup\media\music\ -> should be possible to be accessed by user_1 and user_2

Is my understanding correct, that I have to create a new sharer folder via "Access Right Management" - "Shared Folders" for every folder where I want to have specific access rights based on the user?
    And for every sharer folder I have to modify the shared folder ACL?

Thanks and best regards!

Hi,
    I'm using OMV and have the following hardware:
    - HP ProLiant MicroServer N54L
    - 1x Kingston SSD (OMV installed)
    - 2x Western Digital Caviar Green (WD15EARS-00Z) in RAID1

I've read that Western Digital Caviar Green are not 100% optimal for NAS.

I have the following questions regarding the settings of the 2x Western Digital Caviar Green (WD15EARS-00Z) in RAID1:

- Under "Storage" - "Physical Disks" - "Edit" I can change the physical disk properties:

Which settings would you recommend for the 2x Western Digital Caviar Green (WD15EARS-00Z) in RAID1?

- Under "Storage" - "S.M.A.R.T." I can do the following settingss:

Which settings would you recommend for the 2x Western Digital Caviar Green (WD15EARS-00Z) in RAID1?

Thanks and best regards!

Hi,
    I want to buy the HP ProLiant MicroServer N54L and use Open Media Vault with 2x 1.5TB harddisks in RAID1.

Additionally to the external USB ports, the N54L also has one internal USB port.
    Based on my understanding and according to the Wiki (http://wiki.openmediavault.org/index.php?title=Installation) it would be possible to install Open Media Vault "on" a USB stick.
    However, accordingto the Wiki it's not recommended:

Zitat

USB sticks are not recommended as boot device.

What is your experience?
    Are there any disadvantages?

Thanks and best regards!

P.S.: I was also searching for this topic within the forum but could only find how to install Open Media Vault "from" a USB stick, whereas I want to install it "on" a USB stick.