Beiträge von wireless112

While there is no plugin, tutorials exist on doing such things on Debian. You just have to SSH into the OS and do it the hard way. If you are a user who has an AD domain, this shouldn't be an issue. Once the users populate in the OS, they will be available in the GUI.

I've looked at my OMV 4 install and I do not have any ldap plugin installed, but I do have the machine joined to the domain and users do update as the domain updates.

I am in the process of upgrading my hardware ZFS and AD are crucial, if I get it working as I expect I will post updates.

ZFS appears to use RAM to speed up the transfer process while maintaining some sort of resilience one would expect from a hardware RAID. Personally RAM is cheap compared to hardware RAID. For me I still have 50% overhead, so I wasn't complaining about that at all. Merely wondering what kind of job 1GB would do in comparison, I would guess that if I tried the performance would be similar to my My Cloud Mirror. In otherwords good for about 30 seconds and then begin deteriorating until the transfer is finished.

I don't have high demands, just impatient. I was getting at the boot time in regards to CPU strength. Even before adding the ZFS plugin it took an unreasonably long amount of time to boot the system after BIOS POST. I kind of figure their is some code that could be cleaned up a little to improve the boot time. It's a first gen i7, I initially got the whole server for less than $200. I didn't go out and spend a fortune just to get CPU and RAM.

I haven't had a single hiccup with the system yet, it even appears as the drives just sit idle when no transfers are occurring.

Why would anybody even have a need for OMV on Raspberry Pi?
    It only has USB 2
    It's onboard NIC is only 100mbps
    You can only get 300mbps using a Gigabit NIC thanks to the USB2 limitations.
    I imagine even the AC wifi is limited to about the same throughput.
    Your only full speed storage option is an microSD card, which at it's best is slower than a platter.

So again....Why?

I would seriously pull my hair out if I had to wait for 300 megabits per second transfers. Remember HDD/SSD and SD are all rated in Mega Bytes per Second. Each Byte is 8 bits.

I am one who appreciates other point of views, so this is simply a curiosity question and not meant to insult anyone. I am looking to learn what I am missing?

This stuff struggles on an i7 when it comes to OS loading, which is the main reason for my curiosity. Of course I enabled ZFS and burn up 13GB of RAM while transferring, so this further puzzles me that a 1GB device could work at all. I don't run linux on 1GB even in a vmware environment. It can be done stripped down...but OMV is not what I'd call stripped down. Every store bought NAS I've ever touched was a complete let down, and they seem to have similar specs as a Pi3B.