Beiträge von tv_fanatic

Right now I have OMV installed on a Western Digital Blue HDD and have no problems with the way it performs. I do have a small SSD laying around and was curious about the difference I would see in OMV since it is a simple browser based NAS OS. Anyone that has made the switch care to speak about it.

Earlier today I put together a new system to function as a media server for the family. I have read a fair number of posts of individuals OS drives dying and them not having a backup or clone. I am familiar with CloneZilla and since that seems to be the perfered method here; great. But my question is this:

Could one not use RSync to "backup" the OS drive to another? If the OS drive died then one would simply have to move a sata cable to the correct port or even specify in Bios what drive to boot from.

I am not familiar with RSync so I apologize if this question seems simple.
    Thanks

Last question regarding the ext4 limits with e2fsprog.

If one were to continue to grow their array by one HDD at a time until they hit the magic 16tb, what would happen when they tried to grow it? Since there is no support for 16tb plus sizes would it simply not allow it or ?

Thanks

I understood what he was saying but I also took it as that e2fsprogs had been updated within OMV. I guess I assumed wrong since I know almost knowing of squeeze and e2fsprogs.

Thanks

I currently have 11 2tb drives set up in a Raid6 and when ever I attempt to create a ext4 filesystem I keep getting this error:

Error #6000:
    exception 'OMVException' with message 'Failed to create filesystem. Please check the syslog or '/var/log/openmediavault/omv-initfs@_dev_md0.log' for more details.' in /var/www/openmediavault/rpc/filesystemmgmt.inc:522
    Stack trace:
    #0 [internal function]: FileSystemMgmtRpc->create(Array)
    #1 /usr/share/php/openmediavault/rpc.inc(265): call_user_func_array(Array, Array)
    #2 /usr/share/php/openmediavault/rpc.inc(98): OMVRpc::exec('FileSystemMgmt', 'create', Array)
    #3 /var/www/openmediavault/rpc.php(44): OMVJsonRpcServer->handle()
    #4 {main}

Anyone care to help explain this?

Long time lurker but just registered while waiting for parts to arrive for a new build. I am coming from a windows ecosystem and am fairly new to linux in general.
    I have been playing with OMV in a VM and noticed that I was not able to create a ext4 filesystem over 16tb. Now I know that this is a limitation of ext4 but I also have seen a few posts mention using ext4 and LVM to overcome this.

My question is this; how does using ext4 and LVM work? I know that LVM is a plugin but how does it alone allow ext4 to go bigger than 16tb?

Thanks