Beiträge von Askbruzz

thanks for the tips....
    I had not thought about the possibility of creating more small systems and I will certainly study the possibility.
    surely at the moment I have two problems in mind this this option
    first, the cost is certainly greater, second, my space available is not very much, indicatively 60x60x60cm.

I'd rather suggest to save money and go with a Ryzen 5 2600 instead, that alone should save you 100 bucks. Also 16GB RAM should be plenty, if you don't plan using on ZFS...

The 16Gb of ram are for the 2 (for now) VMs . However the hardware is not yet in the decision phase. In fact i'm still looking for advices

Some boards have plenty of SATA Connectors (8+, some even 10): geizhals.de/?cat=mbam4&xf=2962_8

Thanks for the suggestion, but the AMD CPU does not have the Quick Sync technology and can't use the Plex Hardware Transcoding, as far as i know.

From those listed above, only one has 5Gbe and another has 10Gbe. The first one around 180 €, the other at 250 €.

I will go with this: https://www.asus.com/it/Networking/XG-C100C/ . More or less 90€

Whats the reason behind the P2000? Seems like overkill to add a dedicated GPU into the NAS.

Because i will have it for free and because its very powerful for Plex transcoding.

You mean for transcoding? Even the CPU should do just fine there: anandtech.com/show/12625/amd-s…700-ryzen-5-2600x-2600/12

unfortunately I don't think it has the power to do multiple transcodings at the same time.
    I have several films and TV series on plex, and other than this I also use plex to share videos, made by me, with friends and colleagues.
    Since the videos that I create are very often are in 4k, transcoding is necessary.
    unfortunately I don't have the possibility to understand if an AMD processor can do for me.

You got two PCI-E x16 Slots on most boards.

This is true with the AMD motherboards. The Intel motherboards with z390/z370 chip have very limited pci lines.
    In all honesty I prefer to use AMD CPU but the transcoding capability is very limited.

A. Don't install OMV on a USB Stick, only if you really have to, but then use the fs2ram Plugin to lessen the writes to the USB Stick... B. You can only do RAID on the OS Disk if you install Debian first and install OMV afterwards to it.

A: Thanks for the answer, i completely forgot that plugin :)
    B: thank you, I was completely unaware of this :)

You mean installing it in a VM? Then yes, you could expose the Files to a Windows VM (over the network). Installing it as Dualboot? No, not possible as Windows will be unable to access the Linux Raid Array.

Yeah in a VM :)

That GPU is WAY overkill or a NAS (which are typically headless)... What are you planning on doing?

Yeah it's overkill for a NAS but i want use it for transcoding capability with Plex, and only with Plex.

My intent is to create a small server that can handle different flows with Plex, manage 2 virtual machines (3 or 4 in the future), manage a VPN and work on some files directly on the NAS. :D

Hello to all, i'm new but are months that i read the forum.

I need some advices for my next NAS.
    Now i have a Synology DS918 but start to be small for my needs. Now I have 4x12Tb (Raid 5) Hdd almost full with 2 VM, a VPN and a server plex.

My plans are to use this HW for the new NAS:

i5 8600
    Asrock Z370
    16/32Gb ram
    2 x Sata Pci expasion (4xSata per PCI Card)
    10Gbe Lan
    Nvidia P2000
    Case - Node 840

The P2000 will be added in the near future. For now it is inside the PC of my brother.

I have choose the i5 8600 for its 6 cores and for its integrated video card (hd630) that will be used until i will can change it with the p2000 (3 to 6 months)

With my new nas i will change my Raid 5 to a Raid 6. The problem is that windows does not support Raid 6, for this i want use OMV. A hardware raid solution its not possible due to the few PCI slots.

Now my questions...

It's possible to use the potential of the video card with OMV or i need Windows for this (With Plex)?

If i use the docker for install Plex there is a solution for the GPU card?

If i need Windows (for Plex transcoding via P2000) what can i do? I need install Windows inside a VM and then make the PCI passthrough?

Stupid question ... I can install OMV on two USB sticks (in Raid 1) create RAID 6 with my HDDs, transfer all the files and then install Windows and Plex on an SSD and make Plex take the data from the Raid6 ? :D:whistling::whistling: If its possible, i tink its a waste of resource, right?

for now its all... I think :D

:thumbup: Thanks you very much for your patience and sorry for my bad english. :thumbup:<3