Beiträge von nibisify

Ah ok.. So then if anything I should get four 10tb drives and keep two of them as backup...

I’ve been reading up on transcoding (fairly new to all this) and I don’t think I’ll need it for my media boxes (zappiti one 4K hdr) because they should be able to handle everything. The only use I could see for transcoding, correct me if I’m wrong, is if I play some heavy files on my phone or iPad?

Thanks!

Hi everyone,

Was wondering if i could get your advice on my setup. I'm in the beginning phase of choosing parts for a home media server which, so far, is primarily going to be used for serving 4k video content to a couple rooms and backups for all the comps.

Right now I serve content through SMB to my media players but I would like to keep the option open for Plex or anything else. I would want the machine to be powerful enough in case I decide to add a VM or two.

I dont want the case to have a big footprint and I think this one is pretty good

SilverStone SST-DS380

I was wondering what mini-itx board to get with this. I looked at some threads and some people were recommending motherboards with chips built in. Would this one be suitable:

ASRock J3455-ITX .... Or if i get a normal ITX like this one: ASUS Intel LGA1151 H110.. what processor would you guys recommend?

For HDD, Ill start with three WD RED 10TB and have a software raid 5. Will add HDDs as time goes on. And if there arent enough SATA ports, I could get a pci-e card. RAM will depend on Motherboard I guess.

Budget is not that big an issue (within reason). Anyway I'll take any recommendations you guys have. Thanks for your help! :)