Beiträge von openletter

Are you sure it can't be something within OMV somewhere, because other devices on the same network, including an Ubuntu 16.04 server, resolve to the correct IP address, and with dig I can see it is a CNAME record pointing to omv-extras.org.

The network gateway is pfSense, and I have never had any issues with anything after they switched to DNS Resolver (unbound) as default, so I don't even know what to check there.

I am daily getting the following message from CRON-APT:

Okay, so it looks like rebooting the machine doesn't change anything and everything seems to be running normally, except that I can't access any of the already enabled plugins because they don't show up in the sidebar.

I tested installing a plugin that I don't use, changing its configuration from default, then uninstalling and reinstalling to see if the configuration was still saved, and the changes are not saved.

Is there anything I can do short of complete reinstall to restore the plugins?

I have noticed the 'wipe' feature before, but I recall having no idea what it actually does. Wipe, to me, means just write zeros in one pass, which will not be suitable for complete erasure nor for even wiping SSDs.

Additionally, the ATA erase will erase parts of the drive not accessible to an OS plus it restores the drive to its factory configuration, which can result in increased performance. And as I understand it, SEDs will replace the encryption key.

oh, I am completely with you on having a nice GUI to do this.
    i am not a fan of CLI myself.

I do believe that badblock command works on SSD as well as on HDD.
    not sure about dd though.

Give how sparsely the backblock command line tool shows up in search results, I'm not clear I would trust this tool as much as other tools, such as DBAN. It also appears to be more for the purpose of testing than data destruction.

why can't you just run "sudo badblocks -wsv /dev/sdX" or combine this with "sudo dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sdX bs=1M"

I have read that this two commands should wipe the disk clean as securely as you possible can.
    maybe if you run it couple of times to make sure.
    only bad thing is that you MUST be very careful when typing the drive.

would be nice to have a plugin script that you can just point to the drive in the UI and say run it N times.

It is more complicated than that when dealing with SSDs, which is why I suggest ATA erase, plus it isn't clear to me how many passes your commands are making as I am not familiar with them. This is the point of scripting - not only does it make it easier (I'm not all that comfortable in Debian shell), it can more conveniently conform to accepted standards, rather than what we each read in some blog post somewheres.

A plugin that erases drives, including simple wipe (/dev/zero), ATA secure erase (both regular and enhanced) and forensically erasing HDDs and SSDs to some standard.

I have an eSATA/USB 3.0 caddy on my server that I use for backups, and it would be great to be able to just plug a drive I'm retiring, reselling, or reusing into that, log in, and wipe with the press of a button.

I didn't notice until just now that in the menu sidebar, it only shows default options. So none of the enabled plugins are present in the sidebar.

However, if I view the plugins page, I can see that all of the plugins are still shown as enabled. I can also tell that they are working because. for example, rsnapshot has a daily job that emails me on completion, and I have been receiving that every day, and NUT is allowing login and status updates.

I am a bit concerned about rebooting the machine, as I have the flashmemory plugin enabled, so I'm not clear what issues rebooting the machine may cause, so haven't tried that.

Is there some way to refresh installed plugins? Or update the GUI with all changes that affect it? Something else?

After many many testings I did a restart and the restart fixed it... Didn't know this windows approach also works on Linux ;)

The number of times I've experienced this has lead me to always doing a reboot and testing before posting any questions. It usually has to do with a service not being restarted which I am unaware needed to be restarted, or depending on the problem just logging into a new session to refresh user permissions.