Beiträge von Involute

Thanks for the ideas, Adoby. I was able to use AOMEI Partition Assistant (free) to format the drive in about 10 seconds from my Windows 10 machine and mount it within OMV. I can read/write files to it via Windows File Explorer, so it's working the way it should, except performance is incredibly spotty, going from 112MB/s (nearly the full bandwidth of the Ethernet cable) down to a few KB/s. Could be temperature-related, though I had no similar problem with my HDD. Still, the console is showing an under-voltage error (I'm using a 3A supply as recommended; guess I should get a bigger one) and three EXT4-fs errors (a "Journal has aborted" and two "IO failures").

The drive enclosure I'm using claims to support UAS, but I'll pick up one of the Startechs, as well as a FLIRC (as my Pi is buried in a block of walnut I made for aesthetics rather than performance (for another project)), as that seems to be a known good configuration, per your experience.

Newb here. I'm following along with the Beginner OMV Raspberry Pi installation video, installing OMV 4 on a Pi 4. I was able to complete the installation using a USB-powered 3TB HDD, even though you're supposed to use external powered HDDs (because that's what I had). Everything worked as expected, so I bought an SSD (Crucial MX500, 2TB) and tried to repeat the process after removing the HDD. Installing the file system on the HDD took about five minutes; on the SSD it took 15 hours just to write the blocks (15K of them) and then failed on the next step. Any ideas about what's going on and how to fix it?

Thanks for any help.

3.5" drives typically need 12 volts. A RPi can only supply 5 volts. I too use a 2.5 SSD (2 TB Crucial MX500) with a RPi 4. On OMV 4. Works fine. Spinning may take too much power.

So I thought I'd try my HDD since I already had it, jut to see if it worked. It seems to work fine, but I went ahead and got the same Crucial as you since the HDD may be marginal and end up failing in the field. The weird thing is, it took maybe 5 minutes for OMV 4 to add the file system to the HDD (4TB), but 15 hours just to create the blocks on the Crucial (~15K of them). Then it failed on the next step. Did you notice any similar behavior? Any suggestions?

Newb here. I'm following along with the Beginner OMV Raspberry Pi installation video, installing OMV 4 on a Pi 4. I'm 45 seconds from the end with no problems until the part where Shellinabox gets set-up under Services. As soon as I click on Shellinabox, I get "Failed to execute XPath query '//services/shellinabox'." After I click OK, I can still enable Shellinabox, but I get the same error when I click Save, and it doesn't tell me to apply the changes, as it should. Any suggestions? Doesn't look like it's essential to NAS operation, but I'd like to know why it failed, just the same.

I got an error when initially installing this (and Docker), but since the UI showed they'd both been installed (when previously they hadn't been), I ignored it (and didn't write it down). Docker enables without any problem.

Thanks for any help.

I'm new to OMV and the Raspberry Pi, but I'd like to build a Pi 4-based NAS to which I plan on backing up my Win10 PC using Macrium Reflect via Gigabit Ethernet using PoE as the sole source of power.

1. Any reasons why this won't work? Any issues I should be aware of?
    2. The series of beginner videos here on the forum look like they're perfect to get me started. I've just glanced at them so far, but one comment stuck out: you need to use powered drives. I'd like to use a single spinning disc (for capacity) and was hoping it could be powered by one of the USB 3 ports on the Pi 4. Has anyone successfully tried this yet (maybe on a Pi 3)? Am I out of luck?
    3. It looks like OMV v5 is supposed to support the Pi 4 and v4 does not. True? I know the v5 beta's available now. Any ETA on the final?

Thanks!