Beiträge von Blackcat2

Hi,

I'm planning to build my own NAS and my main requirement is to be able to use mixed sized disks to build a starting RAID and then when I buy bigger disks, I simply upgrade the smallest one and voila! I have bigger array :)

Drobo and Netgear's ReadyNAS currently have this feature in their product.

I'm currently experimenting with OMV in a VM environment to see whether it can do the same. I've installed OMV in a VM environment and I'm having trouble replicating this feature.
    What I have
    Disk A : 8GB
    Disk B : 15GB
    Disk C : 15GB

According to http://www.z-a-recovery.com/art-raid-estimator.htm I should be getting 16GB which is correct. I removed the 8GB and create an 10GB drive, so my new setup is below,
    Disk A : 10GB
    Disk B : 15GB
    Disk C : 15GB

I've tried couple of combination but I simply cannot grow the RAID. This are the steps that I have done
    1st attempt:
    1.) Recover raid with the new disk
    2.) Click Grow form web GUI - nothing happened
    2nd attempt:
    1.) Added 4th disk
    2.) Click Grow form web GUI
    3.) Remove 4th disk and added the new disk A which is 10GB.
    4.) Tried to rebuild array with 3 disks. Not successful - I have issues.

I've very little knowledge with Linux so after those attempts, I hit the wall and couldn't progress. What I have done wrong?

According to the calculator with those combination I should be getting 20GB..

Cheers..
    BC

Hi everyone,
    Just a silly question. I'm thinking of building my own NAS with OMV instead of buying dedicated NAS device like Drobo or ReadyNAS. So far OMV ticked most items in my checklist except for ability to fully utilize mixed disks, but that's not a deal breaker.

However, I noticed that in external NAS, to make life easier they have LEDs that shows which drive fails to replace in case the raid fails. So in OMV, how to know which drive/disk to pull?

BC