Beiträge von yuhl

Ohoh… I'm not asking that someone else implement it as I do not have the cash for it ;)

I'm simply trying to see, if the developpers of OMV see a way of achieving this. I'm interested to implement it. But I have to confess that I know very little on OMV and even less on php. My programming choice is python, so I have much to learn.

Does the plugin must be in php, or does the OMV offer other way of interfacing

Tkanks for your help.

yuhl

P.-S. Mean while I'll install OMV on a virtualbox.

The question remains :

Is there a way to access your api remotely, to somehow be able to have an orchestrator which can talk to OMV.

Yuhl

Is there an IRC where we can talk ?

We are currently offering about 1 TB of data per user. So we have about 100TB on line through 10 Solaris machines.
    As we manage about 10 servers, we'd like to have some orchestration tools to ease our work.

I'm currently working at the University of Geneva. In some departement, they do manage share for 80 people. They currently use solaris with ZFS. The situation is fine, and ZFS rocks. But as a user suddenly needs more space, we end up doing rsync stuff, and we feel that this can be automated.

Furthermore, we'd like to not reconfigure the client each time we move a share. So we have to use an uniq URL (a uniq IP or uniq hostname).

What are the possibilities to extent the OMV two more nodes than one. What if we realize that our OMV is too small.

I'd like to have the possibility to:
    - move account from one OMVzto an other.
    + to avoid to reconfigure the client, they must be an uniq URL which point to a resource(a share). This can be done with
    o DNS: we provide an alias for each resource, and as we move a resource from one OMV to an other we update the DNS.
    o IPV6: as we have a lot of IP per domain, we could fix one IP per resource, and as we move a resource from one to an other OMV, we move the IPV6 adress.
    o IPV4: we could do the same as IPv6, if we could reserve a big range 10.0.0.0/8 for example.

- an OVM could talk to the other easily
    + so that we can provide a web interface to move a resource (a share) from an OVM to an other.
    + so that we can trigger rsync from one node to other
    + so that every OVM keeps information of the all the metadata of every OVM.

Sounds cool, or sounds like I'm a bit crazy.

That way, OVM could scale more easily.

Do you think, that this is possible to implement with your plugin API; that this could be a good idea; That this represent a huge work ?

Thanks in advance for your reply.

Yuhl