Beiträge von elijahfire

Olivier Cochard-Labbé who was the lead developer for FreeNAS used the same design implementation in Open Media Vault when he
    went on to start work on creation Open Media Vault. He designed it this way to run off a USB drive by default for security reasons.
    Makes it harder to hack root if the operating system boots from a USB stick. I know this sounds lame but its actually quit smart
    a solution. So yes FreeNAS is supposed boot off a USB drive, with the USB drive left in. I suspect OMV works the same way,
    but don't have much experience with OMV yet so still checking this all out.

I've been running an ASROCK motherboard for over two years now on a Ubuntu Fileserver, and I had this exact same problem, random reboots, mouse freezing up bad
    so my whole shell is frozen. Here is the reason after much headache and troubleshooting. Yes it is a hardware issue but something a bit more mundane than
    whats been posted so far. I had installed that file server on an M.2 memory stick (500 gig) on the motherboard and plugin itself, so I never used a PCI card adaptor.
    Turns out that if you have all your SATA ports maxed out which I did, there will be conflict with the M.2 channel simply because the M.2 channel on the chip
    will grab resources allocated to at least 2 sata ports. Of course I did not know any of this when buying this new technology, but regardless I had to share that
    because that was a real headache trying to troubleshoot the error source, when in reality it wasn't that complicated a fix actually..
    Of course my motherboard manual did not go into detail on the channel sharing priority off the M.2 interface.