Beiträge von XPModder

I got the drives to show up now!

The controller was in raid mode. I needed to download and install the hpssacli command line tool and then change the configuration using it.

Only problem now is, that I can no longer see the SMART status of any of the drives in the system.

When I go to the SMART page I always get the error message below.

Failed to execute command 'export PATH=/bin:/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/local/sbin; export LANG=C.UTF-8; smartctl -x '/dev/sda' 2>&1' with exit code '1': smartctl 6.6 2017-11-05 r4594 [x86_64-linux-4.19.0-5-amd64] (local build)
    Copyright (C) 2002-17, Bruce Allen, Christian Franke, http://www.smartmontools.org

/dev/sda: requires option '-d cciss,N'
    Please specify device type with the -d option.

Use smartctl -h to get a usage summary

How do I solve that problem now?

Hello,

I have a HPE H240 HBA and connected 5 SATA HDDs to it. (I have confirmed that the cable is the correct one) My problem is, that as the title suggests, the drives are not recognized by omv at all. All other drives that are connected to the mainboard directly are working fine.

Do I need a special plugin or something for the drives to show up in omv?

The HBA seems to be working fine, as it has a green LED that is slowly flashing and on boot it also had a message on screen saying that the HBA was initializing.

Can someone help me with this?

Hello everyone,

I am building a NAS with omv and I need an 8 port HBA to hook up all the drives. So far I have not had any success finding a good option. I had found a LSI SAS2008 raid card as I saw some suggestions on this forum, but I was not successful in crossflashing it to IT-mode and the card is now bricked, as I cant flash any firmware to it. (The problem always is an error message something like 'Error could not write Mfg2', but many hours of trying and many hours of googling the exact error message, I was not able to get around this error)

Due to that I want to go with a solution that does not require crossflashing of a raid card into IT mode. I also tried setting up every drive as an individual raid 0 volume, using a raid controller, but that didn't work very well for me.

As I do have only a small budget and have already spent a good amount of money on this project I don't want to pay more than about 60€ for this HBA.

Any suggestions for suitable cards?

The drives are SATA but they are connected to mSAS converter cables. I do have 5 drives that need to be connected to the HBA, therefore a single port one wouldn't work. I also doubt that there will be any cheap Motherboards out there with enough SATA ports as I have already used all 5 ports on my motherboard for other drives including the boot drive.

I hope you can help me with this.

PS: I'm in germany so any links for parts in the us won't be of any use for me.

Hello everyone,
    I have just build a NAS with OMV. I am using a Fujitsu-Siemens D2516 C11 raid controller card in one of the pcie slots and have a raid 5 configured. Now everything seemed to work perfectly fine first. In OMV the raid 5 volume shows up as a single drive and I have successfully created a filesystem on it and even a shared folder. But every few minutes when OMV is trying to read or write to or from the raid volume it throws a communication error message. Clicking the 'Show Details' button just opens a text box that contains 'communication error' and nothing else. When I try to copy a large file to the raid volume it starts out very good, but at one point it just stops dead in its tracks and wont continue until it throws a random error message.
    So I guess there is some sort of problem with OMV not properly recognizing the raid controller. Is there any way I can get this to work or would I need to buy a different raid controller or hba or even just use unraid or some other os?