Posts by EasyRhino

My FTP upload (to OMV) speed was also really slow sometimes, usually if any sort of other disk activity was going on. and this was on a Xeon. After running slow for a long while, it would often get faster. (closer to ethernet speed).

I didn't ever come to a resolution.

just bumping my thread with two little notes for self documentation.

from broadcom's site I see that the storcli version is now not listing 1.23.02. they have an older version, 1.01.10. there is a megacli version that is newer, and presumably similar but different.

also, with the storcli set up, I can now install the trial software license for advance features like cachecade via command line. And I can automate it with crontab.

depending on your device enumeration and the specific trial key from broadcom's site it would add be like:

Code
    storcli /c0 set aso key=TIKGE5K73QX4EH7U5AT91URDQUNL9NXLVTTER72Z

thank for this. I ended up messing up my machine with unrelated issues on some virtualized ethernet adapters, and had to go back to the 5.3.9 iso and then back up to 5.5.8. But all seems well.

thank for this. I ended up messing up my machine with unrelated issues on some virtualized ethernet adapters, and had to go back to the 5.3.9 iso and then back up to 5.5.8. But all seems well.

i am also getting that same error when I attempt to change my network config. Even just changing the nickname for an existing adapter:

The configuration has been changed. You must apply the changes in order for them to take effect.

Page

of 1

Displaying items 1 - 2 of 2

An error has occured

Error #0:
    OMV\ExecException: Failed to execute command 'export PATH=/bin:/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/local/sbin; export LANG=C.UTF-8; omv-salt deploy run hosts 2>&1' with exit code '1': debian: Data failed to compile:
    ---------- Rendering SLS 'base:omv.deploy.hosts.10default' failed: Jinja error: slaves: The value '' doesn't match the pattern '^(((eth|venet|wlan)\d+|(en|veth|wl)\S+|(bond)\d+)(\.\d+)?,)*((eth|venet|wlan)\d+|(en|veth|wl)\S+|(bond)\d+)(\.\d+)?$'.
    Traceback (most recent call last): File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/salt/utils/templates.py", line 400, in render_jinja_tmpl output = template.render(**decoded_context) File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/jinja2/asyncsupport.py", line 76, in render return original_render(self, *args, **kwargs) File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/jinja2/environment.py", line 1008, in render return self.environment.handle_exception(exc_info, True) File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/jinja2/environment.py", line 780, in handle_exception reraise(exc_type, exc_value, tb) File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/jinja2/_compat.py", line 37, in reraise raise value.with_traceback(tb) File "<template>", line 23, in top-level template code File "/var/cache/salt/minion/extmods/modules/omv_conf.py", line 39, in get objs = db.get(id_, identifier) File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/openmediavault/config/database.py", line 85, in get query.execute() File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/openmediavault/config/database.py", line 724, in execute self._response = self._elements_to_object(elements) File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/openmediavault/config/database.py", line 473, in _elements_to_object obj.validate() File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/openmediavault/config/object.py", line 235, in validate self.model.validate(self.get_dict()) File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/openmediavault/config/datamodel.py", line 200, in validate self.schema.validate(data) File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/openmediavault/json/schema.py", line 170, in validate self._validate_type(value, schema, name) File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/openmediavault/json/schema.py", line 224, in _validate_type raise last_exception File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/openmediavault/json/schema.py", line 195, in _validate_type self._validate_object(value, schema, name) File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/openmediavault/json/schema.py", line 300, in _validate_object self._check_properties(value, schema, name) File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/openmediavault/json/schema.py", line 508, in _check_properties self._validate_type(value[propk], propv, path) File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/openmediavault/json/schema.py", line 224, in _validate_type raise last_exception File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/openmediavault/json/schema.py", line 204, in _validate_type self._validate_string(value, schema, name) File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/openmediavault/json/schema.py", line 275, in _validate_string self._check_pattern(value, schema, name) File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/openmediavault/json/schema.py", line 385, in _check_pattern % (value, schema['pattern']),
    openmediavault.json.schema.SchemaValidationException: slaves: The value '' doesn't match the pattern '^(((eth|venet|wlan)\d+|(en|veth|wl)\S+|(bond)\d+)(\.\d+)?,)*((eth|venet|wlan)\d+|(en|veth|wl)\S+|(bond)\d+)(\.\d+)?$'.

; line 23

---
    [...]
    # along with OpenMediaVault. If not, see <http://www.gnu.org/licenses/>.

# Documentation/Howto:
    # http://www.debian.org/doc/manu…#_the_hostname_resolution

{% set interfaces_config = salt['omv_conf.get']('conf.system.network.interface') %} <======================
    {% set dns_config = salt['omv_conf.get']('conf.system.network.dns') %}
    {% set fqdn = dns_config.hostname %}
    {% set alias = "" %}
    {% if dns_config.domainname %}
    {% set fqdn = [dns_config.hostname, dns_config.domainname] | join('.') %}
    [...]
    --- in /usr/share/php/openmediavault/system/process.inc:182
    Stack trace:
    #0 /usr/share/php/openmediavault/engine/module/serviceabstract.inc(60): OMV\System\Process->execute()
    #1 /usr/share/openmediavault/engined/rpc/config.inc(167): OMV\Engine\Module\ServiceAbstract->deploy()
    #2 [internal function]: Engined\Rpc\Config->applyChanges(Array, Array)
    #3 /usr/share/php/openmediavault/rpc/serviceabstract.inc(123): call_user_func_array(Array, Array)
    #4 /usr/share/php/openmediavault/rpc/serviceabstract.inc(149): OMV\Rpc\ServiceAbstract->callMethod('applyChanges', Array, Array)
    #5 /usr/share/php/openmediavault/rpc/serviceabstract.inc(588): OMV\Rpc\ServiceAbstract->OMV\Rpc\{closure}('/tmp/bgstatusEd...', '/tmp/bgoutputVw...')
    #6 /usr/share/php/openmediavault/rpc/serviceabstract.inc(159): OMV\Rpc\ServiceAbstract->execBgProc(Object(Closure))
    #7 /usr/share/openmediavault/engined/rpc/config.inc(189): OMV\Rpc\ServiceAbstract->callMethodBg('applyChanges', Array, Array)
    #8 [internal function]: Engined\Rpc\Config->applyChangesBg(Array, Array)
    #9 /usr/share/php/openmediavault/rpc/serviceabstract.inc(123): call_user_func_array(Array, Array)
    #10 /usr/share/php/openmediavault/rpc/rpc.inc(86): OMV\Rpc\ServiceAbstract->callMethod('applyChangesBg', Array, Array)
    #11 /usr/sbin/omv-engined(537): OMV\Rpc\Rpc::call('Config', 'applyChangesBg', Array, Array, 1)
    #12 {main}

okay i had a quite old snapshot going back to 5.4.2-1

a simple apt install openmediavault gets me to 5.5.7 and the network seems okay.

and apt update on everything else seems ok as well.

so it was something else I was doing. weirdly, probably trying to install the management megaraid storage manager software for my old LSI raid card?

so I just randomly did a apt ugprade today, got openmediavault 5.5.7, and now my network configuration is hosed. The only item I see with a working ip address is a docker0 network address, and I didn't even have docket set up before!

i'm not sure if I have a restore point or if it was a different item yet in my setup, so I can't promise it was the 5.57 release, but it seems possible. so just throwing it out there.

so after a few apt updates of Debian and OMV, the MegaRAID client on windows was hanging and not connecting.

So I needed to download a new version data May 26 2020, ver 17.05.02.01

here was the exact link to the exact file I used

https://docs.broadcom.com/docs/17.05.02.01_MSM_Linux-x64.zip

so the install steps changed slightly for the new version

Code
    unzip 17.05.02.01_MSM_Linux-x64.zip
    tar xvf MSM_linux_x64_installer-17.05.02-01.tar.gz
    cd disk
    alien --scripts MegaRAID_Storage_Manager-17.05.02-01.noarch.rpm
    export setuptype="d"
    export upgradesetuptype="n"
    dpkg --install megaraid-storage-manager_17.05.02-2_all.deb
    systemctl enable vivaldiframeworkd.service
    service vivaldiframeworkd start
    service vivaldiframeworkd status

so just OMV and plex and VPN? Seems overkill unless you have a lot of transcoding going on.

do you already have the RAM or the hard drives? If not it may be more cost effective to get denser equipment: 2x16GB RAM and 8TB+ hard drives.
    you can get less than 800W on your power supply if you need to save a few bucks.

Howdy, I thought I would document this for posterity...

I have an old LSI (later Avago, now Broadcom) MegaRAID 9260-4i SAS controller in my system. There are a few ways to manage it and configure disks and arrays and such. The most straightforward is to boot into it's BIOS. But on Windows there is the MegaRAID storage manager (MSM) which is a much prettier graphical client, but it only easy to set up if the server is running Windows. But it is [i]also possible for a MSM client to manage cards on other server machines. LSI/Avago/Broadcom made a Linux version of MSM, but it only released RPMs for Red Hat and Suse.

There was mention of making them work in an older thread by converting the RPMs, and it was generally regarded as a sketchy idea, but I wanted to give it a shot anyway.

There are walkthroughs floating around the web, but many are old, and all seem to have different approaches . This one (in German) got me pointed in the right direction.

These are the steps that worked for me on a fresh install of OMV 5.3.4 (Debian 10)

Download two files from Broadcom's site, here's the page for the 9260-4i specifically: https://www.broadcom.com/suppo…D+SAS+9260-4i&pa=&po=&dk=

You'll want to go to the "Management Software and Tools" and get these two files:

• 1.23.02_StorCLI.zip
    • 17.05.00.02_Linux-64_MSM.gz

Note that if you're operating Linux command line only, this is the first hurdle, since the download links require clicking on a disclaimer. I used the browser's debug tools to get direct links for wget:

(probably everything needs to be done as root user or with sudo)

next I had to install some prerequisite packages

Code
    apt install unzip
    install alien

here were the steps to extract and convert and install the command line tool storcli (and create a link because the install location was annoying)

Code
    unzip 1.23.02_StorCLI.zip
    unzip storcli_All_OS.zip
    cd storcli_All_OS/Linux
    alien --scripts storcli-1.23.02-1.noarch.rpm
    dpkg --install storcli_1.23.02-2_all.deb
    ln -s /opt/MegaRAID/storcli/storcli64 /usr/local/sbin/storcli

to do a trivial test enter "storcli show". You should get a listing of your adapters

next up is to exract and convert and install MSM, set it to type "d" (which is "server" mode) so it doesn't try to install a local graphical client:

also, the actual service that runs is called vivaldiframeworkd... for reasons I can't fully appreciate.

EDIT: THESE STEPS HAVE CHANGES IN A MAY 2020 RELEASE, SEE POST #10 below

Code
    tar xvf 17.05.00.02_Linux-64_MSM.gz
    cd disk
    alien --scripts MegaRAID_Storage_Manager-17.05.00-02.noarch.rpm
    export setuptype="d"
    export upgradesetuptype="n"
    dpkg --install megaraid-storage-manager_17.05.00-3_all.deb
    systemctl enable vivaldiframeworkd.service
    service vivaldiframeworkd start
    service vivaldiframeworkd status

… after I got that set up, I was able to install MSM on a windows PC and configure my raid card on my OMV Linux box (I had to enter the IP address of my OMV server)