Beiträge von Eurbaix

I am currently testing OMV5 in a VM before upgrading my NAS and I have noticed a few conflicting changes:

- Sharedfolders mount points have been deprecated;

- The mount points of the sharedfolders by UUID are not shown anywhere in the UI;

- Docker management is now handled by Portainer which default to the system disk and do not acknowledge the OMV sharedfolders from the OMV UI (or discover the UUID mount point).

As far as I can see, the default configuration leads to:

- Forcing users to SSH the NAS to configure any cron job or commands related to data disks (and forcing lambda users to SSH the NAS - most probably with root access - for basic tasks is like opening a pandora box of support tickets);

- Defaulting docker storage to the system disk (I think I don't need to explain why it's the worst idea);

- Once again forcing users to SSH the NAS to configure the docker plugin and each containers instead of using the UI (same pandora box problem).

It doesn't make sense to me why a NAS OS would force users to SSH the NAS for tasks that could previously be done using only the web UI.

Am I missing something or did the OMV UI developers just forgot that many tasks in OMV require to know the mount point of sharedfolders and that a web UI sole purpose is to avoid using SSH?

P.S.: It's a genuine question. OMV has always aimed for a consistent, user-friendly UI before so I'm surprised that OMV5 is hiding basic information such as mount points from the users and forcing them to use SSH instead of the UI for basic tasks such as cron jobs or docker configuration (especially considering how popular is docker on OMV).

P.S.bis: I have been a SysAdmin on and off for 25 years, and have had a NAS for almost 20 years so, please, no noob answer.