Beiträge von toxicdragon

Hello,

when trying to backup data using the openmediavault-backup plugin, the following error message ist shown:

This problem was actuatlly reported back in 2016 for OMV3: Openmediavault-backup errors

Info: I also use the openmediavault-sharerootfs plugin; maybe this causes a problem with the /dev/mapper/root folder? I use OMV 5.3.9-1

Thx again for the suggestions. Especially the use case for the USB drive ist interesting. I think I'll stick to having the following setup for now:
    - System drive (SSD) + dockers + docker configs / caches / metadata et cetera; encrypted and unlocked on boot via ssh
    - 3 Data drives (HDDs), 4GB each, each encrypted and automatically unlocked once the system drive is unlocked and booted; shall hold data for the docker services (e.g. nextcloud data); I'll also investigate the advantage of configs in shared folders

Hi Adoby,

thank you for your suggestions!

So where exactly would you put the dockers themselves then (i.e. the docker storage which defaults to /var/lib/docker in OMV)? E.g. a nextcloud docker: The docker would reside on the system drive and the application files would be mounted to the data drives. According to the guide a set my system up with ([HowTo] OMV 4.x LUKS Full Disk Encryption, unlock via SSH), it is recommended to put the dockers and their config on the system drive; data drives pure data only.

Automatically unlocked encryption is silly...

Yep, my opinion aswell. But in my system, encryption is not automatically unlocked. When the NAS boots, the user is asked to unlock the system drive with a password; this password is provided via connecting to dropbear (SSH service running in initramfs) and unlocking the datadrive by providing the password. Afterwards - when having the unlocked system - the NAS boots and automatically unlocks the data drives by using key files that are ONLY stored on the (encrypted) system drive (in order to be safe, each data drive has a password for unlocking aswell)

Hey,

I followed thegandalf's guide [HowTo] OMV 4.x LUKS Full Disk Encryption, unlock via SSH and successfully installed a fully encrypted OMV 5 that unlocks the data drives upon successful unlocking of the system drive via SSH (details see the HowTo). It is really great that the methodology worked perfectly in OMV 5 aswell! :)

However, what I would want to achieve: Having the same setup BUT with RAID 5 instead of having individual volumes that are managed using mergerfs + snapraid. One article I found for doing that can be found here: http://thelinuxchronicles.blog…are-raid-5-on-debian.html

My questions:
    1. Data drives: In this particular scenario: Is it recommended to have an encrypted RAID 5 in general (performance, possible problems if one disk is lost, possibility to add more disks)?
    2. System drive: Given that another SSD ist added: How would I install a RAID 1 for the system drive (SSD) in order to have a backup of the system drive? What other best-practices are there to backup the system drive?

My use case of OMV:
    - Hosting of docker services (portainer)
    - Files: media + important files (goal is the get away from dropbox)

My server:
    - Older Intel dual socket (2x Xeon X5672 ) + 48GB ECC Ram
    - 128GB SSD
    - 3x 4TB HDDs (Seagate IronWolf)

It would be great if you were to give me general recommendations on that topic! :)