Beiträge von The Mediator

Hey guys, new to OMV forums, and time for a first post!

I had the same infinite login to the web interface issue after upgrading the flashmemory plugin. I tried everything without success (though the things recommended within the past day weren't known to me as the forum had been down for maintenance when I upgraded the flashmemory plugin.

Fortunately, I had recently had a mind to geek out and figure out the clonezilla alternative kernel plugin, and had made a clone of my sda1. I couldn't have picked a better time to have done so. It saved my butt. I know some linux, but not enough to have the first idea what commands/locations etc. to try/inspect. I could SSH in successfully, but until I become linux CLI savvy [working on it, but it's a steep learning curve] I'll still probably be screwed. OMV-firstaid > reset web password did not help.

Though I had to put a head back on my server temporarily, and boot from a rescue thumbdrive I made that had clonezilla on it, I was back up and running less than 15 minutes later. I HIGHLY recommend other people new to OMV/Debian/Linux spend the time to:

A. Login to OMV Web management interface > OMV Extras > Kernel > Scroll down to Clonezilla > Click Install Clonezilla

B. Go to

Externer Inhalt www.youtube.com
    Inhalte von externen Seiten werden ohne Ihre Zustimmung nicht automatisch geladen und angezeigt.
    Durch die Aktivierung der externen Inhalte erklären Sie sich damit einverstanden, dass personenbezogene Daten an Drittplattformen übermittelt werden. Mehr Informationen dazu haben wir in unserer Datenschutzerklärung zur Verfügung gestellt.
    > Options > Subtitles > Autotranslate > Learn OMV Clonezilla

C. Grab a disk (USB or Small Hard Drive) > Create directory for OMV OS Clone Image Backups

D. OMV Web Interface > OMV Extras > Kernel > Reboot to clonezilla once > Copy/paste notes for SSH login to clonezilla

E. Wait for OMV to reboot to clonezilla > Use router DHCP table to identify OMV > SSH/Putty to OMV ip > login/pw user/live

F. sudo clonezilla > follow instructions in video in step B to make a backup.

Might as well backup your whole OS disk (unless you are on a single disk OMV install). Clonezilla will compress your install a lot. I picked maximum compression, and it didn't take that much extra time. Make sure you check the "Check to verify image is restorable" so you can have peace of mind.

Side notes:

A. I just had to do the "add the head (monitor/keyboard) back to the headless server" thing again, and restore the OMV clone backup again. I guess I must have attempted to update the flashmemory plugin a second time. Just now tonight figured out others were having the same problem. Anybody know if the bugs in the update to flashmemory plugin have been fixed? A big thank you to those who maintain the flashmemory plugin. Your efforts are not taken for granted.

B. For those who are unfamiliar with clonezilla - If you add the head back to your OMV server (connect monitor/keyboard temporarily), and you've previously installed clonezilla through the OMVextras > Kernel controls, you don't need the rescue clonezilla thumbdrive! There is a brief screen during debian bootup that lets you pick a kernel. Just pick clonezilla live. This is awesome. Thank you to upstream debian people who made this possible! Because of clonezilla, I'll try things in linux that might break things... after I make a fresh backup!