Beiträge von Kklokreach

I figured out the problem, unfortunately I can't find the link to the original post that helped me, but TLDR: unplug the power, wait 10 secs and plug it back in (doh. I spent 3 days trying to fix this).

It looks like at some point I had to a hard shutdown (aka hold the power button) and apparently, if you power down in a non-expected way, the nic will do a windows only lock up (sorry I'm not sure the correct term, something to do with the msi) and expects a windows boot up to unlock it on the next start up. Unfortunately linux has no idea what to do with it in this situation hence why it is detected, but not activated. Apparently just a unplug wait 10 secs, and replug will reset everything and unlock the nic, allowing linux to fix it again. If anyone with more technical knowledge wants to elaborate feel free :)

Hi All,

I recently did a fresh install of my boot drive to omv 6. My NIC is a builtin realtek 8111 that worked perfectly fine on omv 5. But once I upgraded to OMV 6, it didn't work, wasn't picked up on install. So I plugged in my laptop dock with an ethernet cable and that worked to get OMV 6 installed and at least an internet connection to install updates. I was able to install the r8168 driver through

sudo apt-get install r8168-dkms

and it now picks up under lspci as:

Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet Controller (rev 06)

and lspci -v as:

03:00.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet Controller (rev 06)

Subsystem: Dell RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet Controller

Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 0, IRQ 11

I/O ports at 2000 [size=256]

Memory at e0a10000 (64-bit, prefetchable) [size=4K]

Memory at e0a00000 (64-bit, prefetchable) [size=16K]

Capabilities: [40] Power Management version 3

Capabilities: [50] MSI: Enable- Count=1/1 Maskable- 64bit+

Capabilities: [70] Express Endpoint, MSI 01

Capabilities: [b0] MSI-X: Enable- Count=4 Masked-

Capabilities: [d0] Vital Product Data

Capabilities: [100] Advanced Error Reporting

Capabilities: [140] Virtual Channel

Capabilities: [160] Device Serial Number 03-00-00-00-68-4c-e0-00

Kernel modules: r8168

But in both the gui and omv-firstaid, it is not detected, only the laptop dock is detected. Is there something I need to do to activate it?

Update:

I found that the output of networkctl is:

IDX LINK TYPE OPERATIONAL SETUP

1 lo loopback carrier unmanaged

2 enp3s0 ether off unmanaged

3 enx0c379626fff9 ether routable configured

3 links listed.

But if I try to use ifup enp3s0, it just says unknown interface.

Update 2:

For some reason, it looks like linux will no longer recognize that nic device. I have tried a fresh install with debian 11, debian 11 non-free, omv 6, omv 5.6.13, omv 5.0.5, all the same errors it won't recognize my nic. I have tried the driver download from the realtek website for r8168 and running autorun.sh from a usb, I have tried to download from the above with an internet connection from my laptop dock - no luck. It used to work just fine before this on omv 5.6.13. Do I need to roll back the kernel version or something? Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

Sorry, I'm having a little bit of trouble understanding (my apologies). You're saying to do a fresh reinstall of OMV through debian then reconnect all drives to see if it detects, then reset up everything? Or are you saying to boot through debian and fresh install off a usb to get the card recognized, then reconnect with the old setup?

Also as an aside (forgive me I am new at this) I assume that if I do a fresh install of OMV I will lose my current setup. Is there a quick and easy way to reset up your storage and parity array? I only know the way I did it when I first set it up which was to manually shred all the disks and then set up your raid array (I currently have unionfs+snapraid) and data/parity disks and then move all of your data back on to it? I know that this is a step that I will probably have to end up doing eventually (I am just hesitant to do it at the moment just to test a card) but is there a way that the community has found to make this step easier? Ie. can a new omv install detect a pre-existing setup of disks or something?

Hello everybody,

I've gotten my NAS with OMV 5 up and running with 4 drives (3+1 boot) on an old Dell Optiplex 390 that I got from work(the i5 config). I have tried twice now to expand my storage capacity with a pci-e sata expansion card from amazon, and twice now it hasn't worked.

First card: https://www.amazon.com/gp/prod…tle_o03_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Second card: https://www.amazon.com/gp/prod…tle_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It just flashes this screen showing the Marvell 88SE92XX Adapter for about a second (sorry it's blurry - I can't focus and take the picture in time):

After that it just flashes _ (underscore) in the top left endlessly, and doesn't boot into OMV (or linux mint 20.1 from a USB for that matter, it will boot into linux mint normally without the card. Have not tried windows). When I unplug the sata cables from it and just have the card in the slot, it boots to OMV fine. When I have it all plugged in and try to go into the bios, it goes through this process where it shows the above screen for a second, then goes and shows me a list of options, with booting from one of my four main drives through UEFI and then booting from one of the drives off the sata card listed under legacy boot, or going into the bios or diagnostics (so the card is at least detected at some point). When I go into the actual bios, it doesn't appear and it only shows me the option for enabling or disabling my 4 sata devices. I have tried turning virtualization on and off but it still doesn't work. Does anyone know what the issue is? I'm starting to think that either I'm getting VERY unlucky with my cards OR I need to boot into windows and maybe get it to recognize and then download a driver? OR that it is an optiplex issue and that it will only work with 4 drives.

With a similar card I used to have it moved the network adaptor address so if you can access the CLI from a screen (GUI and CLI via SSH won't be accessable) - run omv-firstaid.

I can't find anything when I run omv-firstaid when the all the drives are unplugged from the card, how do I do that? (Sorry I'm new at this)

Does the PC no longer boot at all? Or what happens? Do you see the grub menu?

If you add more devices then the boot order may change. In that case insert the new adapter card but remove all data drives, except the OS drive. Then reboot. You should see a command prompt. Then enter update-grub. Shutdown. Connect the data drives and reboot.

The PC will post but when I try to boot into OMV, I don't get to the grub menu. Even if my boot drive is the only drive connected through the card it doesn't boot. It just flashes the _ symbol in the upper left corner and doesn't do anything. I tried updating grub like you said but it doesn't make a difference.

Also I did some digging and it looks like the Marvell chipset that this card uses doesn't have a linux driver, but apparently some other people have made it work with linux so I'm very confused.

Hi All,

First off, sorry if this is in the wrong place, didn't know where to put it (Mods please move if appropriate)

So I've been using OMV 5 for a few months now and everything works great. I had a few 1 tb drives lying around so I bought a 4 port sata expansion card and put it in my system but now I can't boot into OMV with the card installed. I figured it was a driver issue, but when I unplug the card, and the drives connected to the card, it boots. It just can't boot when all the drives are connected. Does anyone have any ideas? I'm specifically running this card on an old Dell Optiplex 390:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/prod…tle_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Thank you!

Edit to be more specific: I'm getting a quick flash of a Marvell 88SE9 screen during boot up.