Posts by rocketjordon

Ok, so...

One thing that I did not mentioned is that I had installed hplip from the jessie backports. While installing i did noticed that it also installed a large amount of dependencies, and it did in fact ask me if i wanted to change some systemd configurations but I chose not (keep current configurations was also the default option).

Well I did a fresh re-install (just in case I had messed something up) and while installing hplip today I noticed that it installed a newer version than last night. Checked the change log and indeed it seems like they pushed a new version last night (http://metadata.ftp-master.deb…epack0-1~bpo8+1_changelog). Also, haven't had any problems today... so... I guess that the older version of hplip (3.16.9) caused the problems I had last night...

Hello,

So I am trying out OMV 3 but I seem to have some problems with the firewall/iptables.
    I have basically setup my firewall according to this post (Help setting up firewall (iptables)) + some rules of my own. However if I add the last "Reject everything else" rule I get problems if I try to do a cold boot. Basically I have now network connection and when running ifconfig -a there is no IP for my eth0 device (but there are no errors during the boot process).

However, if I then restart the box from the command line (reboot), I get a "Failed to start Raise network interfaces" error during the boot process, and when checking systemctl status networking.service I can see several failures, including "run-parts: /etc/network/if-pre-up.d/openmediavault-iptables exited with return code 4". However, strange thing is that now I actually got an IP and I can connect to the box just fine. However, If I again do a complete shutdown and cold boot I get the exact same issues.

But removing the last "Reject everything else" line from the firewall/iptables seem to fix everything... So should I setup the last rule somehow differently in OMV 3 compared to OMV 2 (maybe systemd related)? I used the exact same firewall setup in OMV 2 for years....

Hi odinnn,

Well I am no Debian guru myself either, so I cannot give any conclusive advise, but my setup sounds similar to yours (except OwnCloud, burned by it once, would not touch it with a stick), and setting up my box only took about 1 hour. So I am happy I took that path and now I can sleep easy knowing that my box will not suddenly break.

Hi,

Raising this one from the dead...
    I basically got this HP DeskJet 1110 (most basic printer you can think of) for free and since I have the occasional need to print paper forms I thought "great I'll just install CUPS on my OMV box (2.2.13) and call it a day".
    Well it requires hplip 3.15.7...

I checked the Debian packages and 3.16.9 is available in the Jessie backports... so when OMV 3 is out of beta and I upgrade I should be able to enable the backports and install the driver from there (And afterward disable the backports, right? I have never used the backports before...).

Also noticed that CUPS was on the abandoned plugins list... so I guess might just as well install it from the CLI.

Just for future reference...

So I read up on fsck and booted in to a live cd of Mint, made sure that I had not mounted the drive and ran fsck. It found a bunch of "problems" which I tried to fix by running fsck -y, but unfortunately it could not repair the file system completely. So, I decided to just do a fresh install (OMV is just so easy to setup + I have my server documented inside_out).

Anyway thanks for the help!

Hello,

I was wondering if anyone here could give me some advise on a potential issue.
    This morning when I was updating my OMV box I noticed a "mildly nasty sound" coming from my rig.
    I had a look under [DISKS] and the OS disk showed a red dot, and when hovering over the dot it says "A few bad sectors" or something similar. So I guess the drive is dying...
    Now I have a spare disk and I was thinking of cloning the OS disk ASAP, but before doing that I have a couple of questions:

1. Anyway to tell if any data (conf files etc) have been corrupted on the OS disk?
    After updating I restarted and it booted just fine, and everything seems to be working (still).
    But I was thinking that if "half of the data" is corrupted I might as well do a clean install, rather than dealing with broken configurations and packages later on.
    So anyway of checking this?

2. If I clone the device with Clonezilla (device-device) and I do not screw things up, should I be able to just replace the old harddrive with the new one after cloning?
    I guess I need to change the boot device in the BIOS, but other than that I guess it is supposed to "just work" (all the GRUB settings and stuff like that are also cloned over to the new drive, right)?

Any other things to keep in mind?

Ok,

I had six cups of coffee and speed learned german :-).
    Found this thread owncloud - Probleme mit Verzeichnisfreigaben und Grundeinstellungen and this bug tracker http://bugtracker.openmediavault.org/view.php?id=1107, so in other words these are two different issues (session.name error probably caused by the php5 update as tekkb mentioned, and this other issue caused by the design of OwnCloud being "xxxxxxx" as votdev put it in the bugtracker :-)).
    So I guess this means that I'll just go ahead and remove OwnCloud and wait for better times.

HI Everybody,

Has this been reseolved? When I endable (turn on) or disable (turn off) OwnCloud from the OMV interface I always get the "An error has occurred" message box, and I noticed that I also have the same "session.name cannot be a numeric or empty" messgae in my OwnCloud log. I tried changing the instance id like Rocologo suggested, but that did not help. However I might also have a problem that is unrelated to the instance id problem, every time I disable/enable OwnCloud, the OwnCloud conigurations is restored back to default.
    So, say for example that I create a user in the OwnCloud interface and the user uploads some files, if I disable/endable OwnCloud (or reboot my OMV box) that user gets deleted and all OwnCloud configurations are restored back to default. However files that the user uploaded can still be found in the OwnCloud directory.

Can these issues be related? Or maybe changing the instance id would solve the "session.name cannot be a numeric or empty" problem like Rocologo suggested, however since configurations are restored back to default when I enable OwnCloud it also changes back the instance id?
    Any ideas?

Hi,

I recently installed OwnCloud through the availble plugin, and after fixing the certification/trusted domain issue, everything seems to work fine.
    I was however a bit surprised to found out that the subsonic user that was created when installing Subsonic through the OMV-Extras plugin, was already listed as a user in the OwnCloud user interface when I first logged in as admin. First I tried deleting the subsonic user in the OwnCloud user interface, however even if it looked like it was successfully deleted, after refreshing the page subsonic again popped up as a user in the Owncloud interface. I then tried creating a a "test_user" in the OMV interface, and sure enough after logging onto OwCloud again as admin I could also find the test_user in the OwnCloud user interface. I then tried deleting the test_user in the OwnCloud interface but that did not work, however if I deleted the test_user in the OMV interface it also disappeared from the OwnCloud user interface. So it seems like OwnCloud automatically integrates system users...

So, is this something I need to think about? I haven't actually created any users in the OMV interface as transmission/subsonic/minidlna/btsync fulfill all my needs. However, it would feel "safer" if I could remove subsonic from the OwnCloud user list. I tried logging onto OwnCloud as subsonic, but it complained about the password (tried leaving the password blank as there is no password for the subsonic user). I guess that deleting the subsonic user from the OMV interface is not an option since it was created when installing Subsonic through the plugin, and also I have the permissions for my music folders set up in such a way that only root and subsonic can access them.

So, any ideas?

Hi,

After playing around a little bit too much with my OMV box I decided to nuke and pave.
    Before reinstalling I had taken notes of all important configurations including the firewall configurations. However, for some reason (most likely because the instructions was available here Example of OMV's firewall) I had not taken any notes of the first 3 firewall rules, the ones found in the linked forum post. Now, unfortunately it seems like the pictures from the linked post have been deleted from ImageShack.

So I did some thinking and digging on my own, and I think I have got the first two correct:
    1. Family: IPv4, Direction: INPUT, Action: ACCEPT, Protocol: All, Extra options: -m conntrack --ctstate ESTABLISHED,RELATED
    2. Family: IPv4, Direction: INPUT, Action: ACCEPT, Protocol: All, Extra options: -i lo

However I am not sure about the third rule, which allows clients to ping the OMV box. If I remeber I had it like this:
    2. Family: IPv4, Direction: INPUT, Action: ACCEPT, Source: 192.168.0/24, Destination: 192.168.0.163, Protocol: ICMP

(i.e. no Extra options). However, when looking at posts and guides on other forums everybody seem to give also some parameters?

Any one care to comment (Did I get any of them right)?

Ok, so I did some research and the troubles that I was having were caused by the fact that yle-dl (the python script) was trying to use enviroment variables in order to locate the rtmpdump folder on my system, and when the script was triggered remotely that failed for some reason. I read something about exporting a SECRET_KEY could fix it, however as I was not exactly sure if that could impact my system in some (for me) unknown way I just went ahead and hardcoded the path to the rtmpdump folder in my yle-dl script. Voila, that fixed the problem.

This is nuts...

I guess you are reffering to this being a good/bad idea in general, and yeah... What I would like to do is to create my own custom Firefox extension that would trigger the script remotely and pass variables to it, so that when I was watching a video over at areena.yle.fi (video-on-demand site for Yle, Finland's national public service broadcasting company) I could just right click anywhere on the page and select "Download to media server". That would then execute the script remotely and pass the webpages url as a parameter to it, and in a couple of minutes I could watch the same video on my DLNA tv.

Regarding security, my OMV box blocks all traffic on that port from outside my LAN, and neither have I forwaded any ports to it. So, triggering the script outside my LAN should not be easy but... Something that I am not thinking of?

Ok, so I ran

Code
    su www-data -c "php /var/www/openmediavault/yle_dl.php"

however the terminal became unresponsive and no output was printed. After a couple of minutes I noticed in the WebGui that my cpu and ram usage was sky rocketing so I killed the ssh session and rebooted my OMV box. Once it came back up I logged back in over ssh and had a look at my media folder, and it had indeed started donwloading the video however it was not finished although it had been running much longer than it usually takes to download a video.

I then started wondering, should it not be

Code
    su openmediavault -c "php /var/www/openmediavault/yle_dl.php"

(echoing whoami in the php script also gave openmediavault when executing from a web browser)? I tried that and the script executed nicely in a minute or so, video downloaded and converted. So two things. The correct user was openmediavault rather than www-data, right? And why did the cpu and ram usage sky rocket when trying to run the script as www-data?

Also since the

Code
    su openmediavault -c "php /var/www/openmediavault/yle_dl.php"

executed the script without errors I guess that this cannot be a permission issue. So, I changed the yle-dl command in the script to:

Code
    $test = shell_exec("yle-dl $url -o /path/to/my/media/folder/video_temp.flv 2>&1");
    echo "<pre>$test</pre>";

After that I visited the yle_dl.php page in a web browser and got this output:
    Traceback (most recent call last):
    File "/usr/local/bin/yle-dl", line 1653, in
    main()
    File "/usr/local/bin/yle-dl", line 1622, in main
    rtmpdump_binary = which('rtmpdump')
    File "/usr/local/bin/yle-dl", line 227, in which
    for path in os.environ["PATH"].split(os.pathsep):
    File "/usr/lib/python2.7/UserDict.py", line 23, in __getitem__
    raise KeyError(key)
    KeyError: 'PATH'

So, it seems like "the script is run differently" depending on if it is execute remotely (visiting the ip_to_my_omv_box/yle_dl.php) or if it is run locally (su openmediavault)?

Hi davidh2k,

First of all, thanks for taking time to respond to my question. If you got the feeling that I did not really know what I was asking about you were totally correct :).

So, after you mentioned php5-cgi I started looking into php and realized that php enables me to do what I would like to do. So I started experimenting and came up with this script (called yle_dl.php) that I placed in the /var/www/openmediavault/ folder:

<?php
    $url = "http://areena.yle.fi/tv/1407300"; //later I will use $_GET["url"] so that I can pass the address through a HTTP query string
    $output = "filename"; //later I will use $_GET["output"] so that I can pass the output filename through a HTTP query string
    exec("yle-dl $url -o /path/to/media/folder/video_temp.flv");
    exec("ffmpeg -i /path/to/media/folder/video_temp.flv -vcodec copy -acodec copy /path/to/media/folder/$output.mp4);
    exec("rm /path/to/media/folder/video_temp.flv");
    echo "<pre>"script executed</pre>";
    ?>

Now, this works fine if I from the command line (as root) do php yle_dl.php, however if I from my laptop visit https://ip_to_my_omv_box/yle_dl.php nothing happens, except that the "script executed" line is shown (a videos should be downloaded to the media folder). I have setup permissions so that (the group called) openmediavault have rwx permission to the media folder and to yle-dl (which actually is a helper script located in /usr/local/bin/ (written in python) for rtmpdump). However, I think the problem is that openmediavault does not have permission to execute rtmpdump which I installed from the repos as root.

Does this sound like a possible explanation and how would I go about to give openmedivault needed permissions?
    Also, does this sound like a good or bad idea in genereal?

Hello all,
    I would like to be able to start and pass variables to a couple of customs scripts that I have on my OMV box from my laptop. Now, I am no "techie" but as far as I can tell the simplest way of doing this would be through cgi scripts.

So, first of all I am running 1.0.26 which I guess means that NGINX is installed by default. From what I have read running cgi scripts would be easiest if I had Apache2 installed, however running cgi scripts also seem possible on an NGINX system with the help of FastCGI or SimpleCGI. I tried checking whether any of these utilities were installed on my box (dpkg -s) but nothing turned up (maybe I was trying the wrong package name, fcgi and uwsgi). However considering all the things we can do through the OMV webw gui I guess there must be some cgi- thingy installed by deafult.

So, does anyone have any ideas or should I just go ahead follow some random tutorial for setting up FastCGI?

Also, are cgi scripts a good idea? I was thinkning of making it real simple for me and write the scripts in bash, however considering Shellshock I am not sure that it is such a good idea (obviously I have patched my S***, but you know...). My firewall is setup to only allow connections from my lan, and I have not forwarded any ports, so I guess i should be OK...

Hi again,

Thanks tekkbebe, I played around a bit with the source settings and I was I able to set it up just like I wanted , i.e. restrict everything to my LAN except the DAAP server, which I enjoying listening to while on the go...

Do you have any other security tips?

Hi,

First of all, since this is my first post, thank you for creating such an awsome NAS distro. I have been runing a small home server now for a couple of years (Win 7, Ubuntu LTS and FreenNas) but OMV is by far the most stable (for me at least) and easiest to setup that I have tried so far.

Now to my question, in your example what is 192.168.0.1/24 called? My router is running OpenWRT and it seems like my LAN Active IPv4-Routes Target is 192.168.0.0/24. Is that the one I should use (the ip of the router is 192.168.0.254). Similarly, what is the destination IP, the IP of your OMV box or? Also what are the two first rules in your example?