Beiträge von chrispy_chuck

I login using the user "admin" and the admin password I set in omv-first aid, is there another admin account I'm not aware of?

Seems the browser cache may have did it, I could have sworn I did this after the reinstall, regardless, thank you everyone!

I reinstalled OMV6 on a server due to me poking at things I shouldn't have that were unrelated to OMV. After the fresh install, I could not log into the webportal, so I ran the omv-firstaid program and reset my login (looking back I think I was using my old password instead of the default). Once I logged in, I do not have the person shaped icon at the top of the web portal that allows for Dark Mode, password change, etc. My other server with OMV6 has this icon. How can I get this back and what other issues could this cause that I'm not aware of? Thank you!

Been using clonezilla and it has become a pain to shutdown the server to run the app, so I tried fsarchiver from the gui. I set the shared folder to one of the drives in my unionfs volumes, the same one I use to store my clonezilla backups. I ran updates and in my research I found something about btrfs, I'm not running that. At about 96-98% the fsarchiver errors out saying :

Invalid RPC response. Please check the syslog for more information.

When I expand the details button, it says:

Error #0:
    OMV\Rpc\Exception: Invalid RPC response. Please check the syslog for more information. in /usr/share/php/openmediavault/rpc/rpc.inc:187
    Stack trace:
    #0 /usr/share/php/openmediavault/rpc/proxy/json.inc(97): OMV\Rpc\Rpc::call('Exec', 'getOutput', Array, Array, 3)
    #1 /var/www/openmediavault/rpc.php(45): OMV\Rpc\Proxy\Json->handle()
    #2 {main}

Any ideas on what the dealio is?

EDIT- This thread seemed to have done it:

Backup Plugin fails backup - Invalid RPC response

excluded the offending docker dir and bam, completed. Now off to verify the .fsa file and hope it works when I need it!

Wasn't sure where to post this, so if there is a better area, my apologies!

My server is slowly getting to capacity in the number of disks it can hold. Right now I can use an empty sled and bay to transfer contents when replacing drives, but one day all my bays will be filled and I'm looking for the best way to replace disks which is a mix of SATA and SAS drives.

The rest of my network consists of Windows small form factor computers and laptops with one compact desktop, so not much help there. I have thought about external enclosures, but I have a good bit of SAS drives and am slowly collecting more and can't find a SAS enclosure. I'm newish to Linux so be gentle, but I've been using OMV as a learning tool besides a media server.

The small desktop has a free PCI 16 slot and a 1x slot I think, so I thought about buying a SAS card, and a power splitter from the internal drive, then running Linux in VM to format the drive(s) and make transfers easier. When the time comes to change drives, I can connect drive(s) to this board and do a rsync? copy across the network to my desktop and then replace the copied drive in the server. If things get really sideways, I could connect multiple drives and do multiple transfers using the SAS card.

I also thought about yanking a parity drive and using that empty bay to do the transfer as well, but I don't think that is the best method.

I also thought about leaving a bay open for transfers, but am worried about needing to do a rebuild with 2x or even more drives if I'm having a bad day, then I'm kinda in the same spot of not having enough bays. I can't foresee the future, so do I leave one bay open, four bays open? I'll just use them and find a backup plan like the one I'm working on.

What would you guys do with full servers when it's time to replace drives? Which transfer tool would you use, rsync, clonezilla, other? Is there an easier method? I'm new to Linux, but not afraid to try things.

Installed OMV on a surplus server (Tyan 5512 in a SC836 case). What I can do is login through the web portal, and Putty. I've assigned this machine an IP in the router so DHCP, static doesn't matter.

What I can't do is install omv-extras with the command in CLI, can't install through gui (I've uploaded, but it won't install), I can't update OMV. I can ping IPs, e.g. 1.1.1.1, but not site like google.com. I have tried many different combos in Interfaces through the gui as well as omv-firstaid.

I've set the interface to static, my router ip (then my Pi-hole just because), dns as 1.1.1.1 or 8.8.8.8 I've just about ran out of ideas guys.

Edit- While waiting for replies and poking around I said screw it and reinstalled. Before I skipped the network setup, but this time, since I knew which nic to choose(board has two gigabit nics), I chose the right nic, and due to me having the router setup from the previous install to give the server an IP, everything installed fine. I updated everything, got plugins to update and install and am working on re-doing the settings. I hope this fixed it and this helps someone else.