Beiträge von kzrussian

I was trying to access this site: http://forums.openmediavault.org/index.php/Board/11-RAID/
    on 9/23/2014 at approximatly 3:07PM Pacific Time (-8:00) and I got this Internal Server Error.

Zitat

Internal Server Error
    The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.

Please contact the server administrator, [no address given] and inform them of the time the error occurred, and anything you might have done that may have caused the error.

More information about this error may be available in the server error log.

I don't know how to contact the server administrator, so I thought that posting it here might get it to the right people.

I played around with the online-demo a little bit and I notised that it does make a difference in the order in which the RAID10 drives are selected when creating the arrary.
    Here is an example of the array status in 2 different orders of selection.

Code
    Number   Major   Minor   RaidDevice State
           0       8       16        0      active sync   /dev/sdb
           1       8       32        1      active sync   /dev/sdc
           2       8       48        2      active sync   /dev/sdd
           3       8       64        3      active sync   /dev/sde

vs

Code
    Number   Major   Minor   RaidDevice State
           0       8       16        0      active sync   /dev/sdb
           1       8       48        1      active sync   /dev/sdd
           2       8       32        2      active sync   /dev/sdc
           3       8       64        3      active sync   /dev/sde

It appears that the GUI interface does pass the devices to the mdadm function in the same order as they are being selected.
    The mdadm function actually cares about the order of devices you give it.
    After doing a bit more reading about mdadm raid10 option, I have some more questions on how OMV uses it. ?(
    ryecoaaron (or anyone else who is able to), would you please be able to look at the code and tell me the 'command' that OMV uses when it creates a raid10 array?
    I would expect something like:

Code
    mdadm --create -l 10 -n4 -pn2 [new device name] [device1] [device2] [device3] [device4]

I'm asking because when configuring a RAID10 array, it is necessary to specify the number of replicas of each data block that are required (this will normally be 2) and whether the replicas should be 'near', 'offset' or 'far', so i'm curious to know how OMV implements this. :)

Sorry for being such a pain-in-the-a$$, i guess i'm just a controll freek :S

Thanks aggain for your time! :)

I just submitted for these features. Thanks davidh2k, I never knew that option existed.

Is there anyone that can answer this question:
    When creating a RAID10 array, does the order of selecting disks play any role?

Thank you everyone for taking your time to answer my questions. I really appreciate it.

lol,
    I'm trying to provide constructive criticism on ways to make the software even better / more flexible. I'm all for simplicity and I really like that someone can setup a raid10 array without worrying about minor details. But I still think that an option to show/hide advanced config. should be built into OMV.
    BTW, I think that choosing wich specific physical disk is mirrored to what other disk - is an essential (not advanced) feature.
    So the question still stands (i'll rephrase it): When creating a RAID10 array, does the order of selecting disks play any role?

I'm not talking about 1+0 vs 0+1 debate.
    I have 2 WD and 2 Seagate drives - and I would like to mirror each WD with a Seagate, then have them striped together (aka RAID10, RAID1+0).
    Reason being: If WD or Seagate drives both came out of a bad batch of drives, and both drives fail simultaniously, I would not loose any data.

Other advanced options would be: chunk-size, Stride, Stripe-Width

I was hoping there would be more options during the creation of RAID10 array in the new version 1.0, but it looks like its the same simple design. I do like simplicity, but I think maybe there needs to be an option to enable advanced configurations. My question from the original post still remains: "How do I know / How do I specify which of my disks are mirrored together?"

Thanks, but yes, I've seen it. Both of the links under LVM/RAID focus on RAID5 configuration.
    For example, I was expecting that the WIKI RAID page (http://wiki.openmediavault.org…php?title=RAID_Management) would say at least something like this:
    (I'm bluffing here, so don't take the phrases below as info about how OMV works)
    "The RAID levels on the Graphical Web interface of the OMV uses the Linux command mdadm"
    "These options are only for whole disk RAID arrays, not partitions"
    "The RAID10 option will mirror the disks in the order that they are selected. 1st and 2nd selection will be a mirror and 3rd and 4th will be a mirror. This option will create a chunk size of 4096 bytes. For a different chunck size, the RAID 10 configuration will have to be done through the Command Line Interface. See <link> on getting to and using the CLI. See <link> for different mdadm options."

After trying out some of the other NAS O.S., I installed OMV and created a RAID 10 array and then formated with ext4 filesystem. I was surprized on how easy it was creating the RAID 1+0 array compared to others. This simplicity also raises some questions such as:
    How do I know / How do I specify which of my disks are mirrored together?
    (I have 2 WD and 2 Seagate drives - and I would like to mirror each WD with a Seagate, then have them striped together)
    Here is a link that talks about this:http://www.finnie.org/2012/11/…x-md-raid-10-disk-layout/

Also, how would I specify a certain Chunk size?

I'm liking Open Media Vault so far, but I'm shocked at how little documentation / guides there is, when compared to others.

(PS: I don't have much experience in Linux, but I'm not affraid of the CLI)