Beiträge von Beamformer

Now I did a backup from the data drives (unbelievable long - because the NAS gives no peak performance, but I think this is another story :) )

no light at the end of the either tunnel

I think so too.

Now I did a Bios/UEFI Reset in the UEFI itself by setting all to standard values. kwon: this was not correct? I have to clear cmos?

Is suspend as bad as turning off the NAS? Then I will disable it.

But after this the NAS starts a couple of time directly (without the error from #14 - RE: OMV Volumes verkleinern/vergrößern)

The extended SMART test is not available, I'm not sure if OMV did it the right way. I have to double check.

Beside this I look after the RAM check within SystemRescueCD

mi-hol: I think you are right when you doubt if it is peak consumption, I think so too. I think the Eve smart plug tells me a middle value.

So back to the problem, the last days I did a backup from the data drives (horrible long) and then I reseted the UEFI to standard values and then I restarted the NAS a couple of times, it always boots directly without going off immediately.

But when the NAS wakes up from suspend it comes still the message from #65 (RE: OMV starting Problem "emergency mode" on every start)

geaves: But what I think suspicious is that the bios show me no option to boot from. In the boot option the stands only the name of the system drive (and not USB or Sata). But it seems to work (nearly fine).

1. SMART check

I scheduled a long-self test for each drive for tomorrow within the OMV GUI.

2. RAM check

I think I can do this by booting into 'SystemRescueCD' in the OMV GUI by selecting it in the kernel tab?! There should be Memtest included. But then the system boots to a promt/CLI? How to start the memtest then?

3. BIOS reset

should be possible without losing the LVM.

Not a good idea.

Not? I have a couple of computers/devises with hard drive which I always shut down, computers, Dreambox, TV, Xbox, etc.

You do not turn all these devises to off to preserve your hard drives? Whats about your electricity bill?

Parallel I will look for external hard drives for backup my data.

SMART info HDD4

SMART info HDD3

SMART info HDD2

based in Australia

I'm far far away from Australia :)

SMART info HDD1

Why is the status LED for the SSD red and for the data drives green?

I usually don't use LVMs for large datapools, but what exactly did you do?

How do you realize large datapools?

I installed the LVM Plugin for OMV and added the physical volumes to a volume group to create 2 logical volumes (partitions).

Better means, the last time I restarted the NAS I only had to press the power two times (instead 6 or 7 times) :)

Usually the NAS goes to suspend at night, not completely off.

BIOS-reset

not yet, cause I'm not sure to preserve, but it should?!

feel free to post them here

I can't interpret it but I posted it yesterday here RE: OMV starting Problem "emergency mode" on every start

I would *never* mess around with LVMs or any partitioning at all without a backup.

You are right, but with the 2 data harddrives (more or less) all was fine. The problems occur by adding the data drive 3+4.

Do not let the HDDs connected during that

can I do that without losing my LVM?

But you do have two 14TB drives ... so it might be a good idea to use those to first do a backup?

but they are already integrated in the LVM - this was my first step after installing them :(

Your system just turns off without reason.

I think it is much better with the new 120W power supply (at least the suspend mode)

I found the following in the OMV GUI

Can you do something with it?

Maybe you are right with a defect hard drive?!

Hi kwon, thanks for your response.

What is proper in your opinion? An internal power supply?

Yes, exactly I bought another power supply with 120W instead the 72W.

Coarse estimation: 4x7W + 3W + 10W for the system = 41W (therefore should be enough).

(And in my opinion the NAS starts better now, what means I didn’t have to press the power button many times as before)

I use two harddrives with 12TB and last week I attached two more 14TB disks (to the LVM). On this LVM I have two partitions (a small for backups and a large for multimedia files).

The smart status I can check via OMV GUI?

No, up to now I did not make a bios reset (by the way, I thougt about it, but can I do this without loosing all my data on the LMV?)

RAM isn’t checked up to now (because I thought I worked proper until the new data drives arrived)

Backup is on my focus since I started to build the NAS in summer last year (for the case the NAS is finished - unfortunately it isn’t). So now I have about 24TB of data without a backup.

By the way: I think these problems are related to other(s) posted here OMV starting Problem "emergency mode" on every start

There is also the name of my new power supply.

Hmmm I’m not sure if I did it the right way.

- Plugged in the usb drive

- rebooted

- checked the uefi if the system drive is active (by the way: here I cannot select something other than the system drive, looks like post 51)

- booted from the system drive (to the CLI)

- logged me in and entered the update-grub command

- rebooted

NAS still boots in emergency mode 😓

Yes I use suspend to safe the hard drives and my electric meter.

I made a new bootable usb drive (like TDL in the video) with an up-to-date Debian.

Now i do the following:

- plug in this usb drive to my NAS

- reboot the NAS

- boot from this usb drive

- enter the CLI (not installing something) (how do I this?)

- type 'update-grub'

- finally reboot the NAS and

- booting again from my USB system drive