Beiträge von biohazard

Hi,

I just wanted to share my history of "recovering" a RAID5 volume which was degraded. I am using my NAS described in this post Homemade Home NAS - (Large pictures!)

So, some weeks ago as I was in holidays, I received a mail from my NAS telling me the RAID5 was clean but degraded maybe because of my /dev/sdh disk.

I verified this message on the OMV interface, confirmed something was bad and as I wanted not to continue in this state, I chose to shut the NAS down.
    Coming back from my holdays, I went to the computer store and bought a spare 3 To Seagate disk. At home, I plugged it on my NAS, booted my NAS and went on another computer in my house (my NAS dosen't have a screen attached to it).

I could no connect to the web interface. No success neither with the SSH... the NAS was not even pingable. I came back to my NAS, plugged a CRT screen to it.. but black screen. I changed the CRT screen with a recent one working I was sure to be working... still black screen.

Ok... I unplugged all my hdds, removed my two IBM RAID controllers and installed a PCIe graphic card instead of the very old Matrox Millunium. Still NOT BOOTING. Grrr...

My mainboard does have two ethernet interfaces. I noticed that neither the eth port of the mainboard nor the one on the eth switch was blinking! But it was ok if I changed to the second NIC interface on my mainboard... I started to worry about a electrical shock (even if all the stuff was plugged on my UPS).

My last effort was remove one of my RAM stick and...the computer booted. Ok, It was a RAM failure. I suppose no hdd was bad in fact. I started the recovering process of my RAID volume in the webinterface. I received the mail:

On my 7 x 3 Tb RAID5 setup, it took about 5 hours to rebuild the spare disk.

I changed the hdd order when I re-plugged them so the trouble is not wit /dev/sdh anymore.

So, everything ends well... Just remember that RAM sticks can fail! I'll check the "faulty" hdd but I'm almost certain it's fine.

1. RAID 5
    If you mean software RAID 5, any RAID/SATA controller card with "passthrough" mode will present individual disks to the OS. You'll be able to create a software RAID 5 with these disks.
    If you mean hardware RAID 5, the M1015 in the basic setup isn't able to run a RAID 5 array. You can buy a special hardware key that plugs on the card and will enable the RAID 5 in the M1015 bios (46M0832, ServeRAID M1000 Advanced Feature Key for M1015 SAS/SATA Controller).

2. Performance with my RAID 5 software is good IMHO. I need to practice some tests but I don't know how to correctly test a RAID5.

If your 150€ card doesn't include the special key for RAID 5, it's clearly overpriced.

Yes, I'm french!

46M0831 refers to IBM part number (http://www.redbooks.ibm.com/abstracts/tips0740.html). The most important think to check is the bracket (as they are server cards, the high or low profile bracket is no always available).

105 euros is a pretty high price for this card. I payed 80 euros two cards (leboncoin).

If your system can run a M1015, i think it will be be far more stable than your current setup.

There is a pretty good thing with OMV: when I was using OpenFiler, I couldn't access SMART with smartmontools. With OMV, in IT mode, I can see temps and SMART directly in the interface.

Hi,

Each M1015 can handle 8 HDDs via 2 mini-SAS ports. In IT mode, the card acts just as a HBA: the HDDs will show up as separate disks (sda..sdb..sdc..etc.). There are no settings (and the bios is useless).

I will be using more HDDs in the future and I wanted to test my system with two cards already but yes, I could use just one. As you may read on others forums, some (none server grade) mainboards can fail booting with two M1015 (sometimes, even 1 card will crash it!). If I want to be precise: some mainboards won't be able to flash the card but will boot a flashed card.

My P5K Deluxe works perfectly with two M1015 (flash and run).

For you Sil4124 cards: maybe you could try deactivating all non-used onboard devices (serial ports, sound card, firewire, IDE...etc) to free some IRQ.

No tutorial in mind, but I've read all I could find on the M1015 before buying it!

Huh... you come here and ask your question as if you were buying a baguette.
    No info on money limit, usage, how many users... etc.

I think that LACP agregation with 8x10Gbe should do the trick.

Full Res: http://img21.imageshack.us/img21/5693/frontkct.jpg

Hi,

Here are some pics and specs of my NAS. I moved from OpenFiler 2.99.1 to OpenMediaVault 0.3.0.20 without any difficulty. It's running a nice 7x3To RAID5.
    I'm mainly storing movies, musics, pictures. SABnzbd running.

[Base]
    Case - NZXT Source 210
    PSU - Corsair 400W CMPSU-400CX
    Mainboard - Asus P5K Deluxe Wifi/Ap
    CPU - Intel Core2Duo E6750 @ 2.66Ghz
    RAM - Ballistix DDR2 PC8500 2 x 1Go
    Graphix - Matrox Millunium PCI
    UPS - Eaton Protection Station 800VA USB controlled

[Storage]
    HBA - 2 x IBM M1015 flashed in IT mode without bios
    HDD system - 80Gb Apple 2.5" sata on MB port
    Storage HDD - 7 x 3Tb Seagate st3000dm001 SATA3 (4 on first HBA, 3 on second)

[Cooling]
    2 x 140mm front intake
    1 x 120mm door intake
    1 x 140mm up exhaust
    1 * 140mm back exhaust
    PSU exhaust

Pics:

Back from the Rue Montgallet (chinese computer street)... it's quite heavy!

Full Res: http://img9.imageshack.us/img9/375/hddcasey.jpg

Full Res: http://img214.imageshack.us/img214/7195/backeok.jpg

Full Res: http://img842.imageshack.us/img842/9588/openeddoor.jpg

Full Res: http://img40.imageshack.us/img40/8564/insidepu.jpg
    HDD serial numbers are sticked on each hdd. If one fails, it's can be easily identified.
    First M1015 car is in 16x PCIe slot (16x electrical) and second in 16x PCIe slot (4x electrical).

Full Res: http://img689.imageshack.us/img689/4273/cablemanagement.jpg
    I tried some cable management to make all this stuff as clean as possible...

HDD Temp are betwenn 31 and 33°C (room temp = 25,8°C)
    UPS load:

Transfert rate = 55-60Mo/s in SMB (Windows 7 client). Will try some multiple clien transfert.

If you have any question... feel free to ask!
    Thanks!

Hi,

I had errors while creating filesystem on my large RAID5 (7*3To) volume.
    I solved them looking in the logs.

- Error when trying to create a XFS filesystem : MasterStorage is not a valid label because > 12 chars!
    - Error when trying to create a EXT4 filesystem: 18TB seems to be too large.

So maybe: limit the length of label (for XFS) and check the space (for EXT4)?
    Sorry, I don't know how to post bugs in Mantis tracker.

Thanks Volker!

Hi!

Well, I migrated from OpenFiler to OMV yesterday.
    I needed to copy my files from openfiler disk (lvm2 - XFS) to my new RAID 5.

I did it in command line ssh:

root@BioNAS:/media/a0e7e84c-b1t1-4e22-aab3-250404f7e015/OldVol# cp -R * /media/u458d856-t4f6-4e22-aaz3-485604f71458/NewVol/
    root@BioNAS:/media/a0e7e84c-b1t1-4e22-aab3-250404f7e015/OldVol# cd /media/u458d856-t4f6-4e22-aaz3-485604f71458/NewVol/
    root@BioNAS:/media/u458d856-t4f6-4e22-aaz3-485604f71458/NewVol# chmod -R 777 *

Don't know if it's the good way to do it but it works!

It should be ok using the mv command instead of cp.