Beiträge von flummoxer

I just edited the 'Shared Folders' section in the web interface, and clicked 'Edit' for each then switched Devices. It give a dialogue each time saying 'You gotta copy the data yourself'
    For replicating data I used
    nohup rsync -av /place/from /place/to 2>& rsync.log &

but maybe that's what clonezilla is using.

Hi,
    I'm switching from old data disk raid, to new bigger disks on a hardware raid, omv is installed on debian. The old raid disk was 15TB, the new is 81TB, when I use the web interface to format the filesystem ext4 it assigns 1.3 billion Inodes, which seems excessive. The 15TB disk had 4M, which is maybe a bit low but I was at 45% usage in inodes when at 90% space so.

Is there a way to lower the inode count for creation? I think fsck with over a billion inodes would have issues or am I living in the past?

Thanks for any insight.

In the Guide for reinstallation on debian, it says to copy your config.xml but it never says what to do with that copy.

After a reinstall of debian ( accidentally jessied myself ) and openmediavault ( version also incremented by .01 ), I copied the backup of config.xml over the new one, but this hasn't magically restored all my configurations. So maybe i just have the copy of config.xml to consult while I reconfigure?

The main thing I need to work is mounting disks, I see the file systems listed on file system page, but when I press mount it says

Failed to mount 'c615b345-5b9c-498d-84b8-610b1fce3cfe': mount: no such partition found

I can hand mount them and everything looks fine, not sure how to get the mount page working or if I should restore my previous fstab entries. any advice would be helpful.

deduplication and encryption.

duplicity (another rsync based one) has deduplication but it's based on directory and file names. If I run filebot on my plex movie directory or take another stab at organizing my music library, rsync, rsnapshot and duplicity will see any files with their names changed as new files. obnam/attic will see the movie/mp3 data blocks are already in the repository and just add a reference to them. As I rename/reorganize regularly this is a huge difference. They've both implemented what duplicity has plans to implement http://duplicity.nongnu.org/new_format.html

encryption is built into obnam/attic, obviously if you're backing to a remote site or taking a disc offsite for safety you'll want to have your backup encrypted. it's not built into rsync or rsnapshot, though it is in duplicity.

so far between the two, obnam has much better memory management than attic so is probably better suited. I'm going to keep using attic for a few weeks though to get a good sense of it.

suggestion for list that I haven't seen suggested.

obnam or attic. Both are deduplicating backup tools, there's backup plugin for they system now, yay, but these are for backup of data disks.
    they're both simple to configure and use, seems like they'd be good plug in candidates.

i'd been using amanda but that's 100x more annoying to setup, over 4x as slow on my system and doesn't have good deduplication.
    There's duplicity but I think it's deduplication isn't suited to media libraries where I go in and mass rename and relocate files as it's name based.

Both obnam and attic are hash of a blob of data deduplication based, so renaming/relocating won't trigger a whole file backup.

obnam is probably the more reliable as it's been out for years but i'm currently using/testing attic. attic was a bit more annoying to install.

neither has an up to date package in debian wheezy, obnams is old and attic is only in jessie+
    http://obnam.org/
    https://attic-backup.org/

* edit, adding annoying attic install steps
    and forgot to mention, they both let you mount the archive as a disk and directly and quickly restore files by cp/rsync. amanda needed to un-gtar the whole archive, took hours.

Code
    apt-get install python3-pip
    apt-get install libssl-dev
    apt-get install python3-dev
    apt-get install libacl1-dev
    pip-3.2 install attic
    pip-3.2 install python3-llfuse

I have a dumb question that googling isn't helping with, is the idea to clone then remove the target drive from the system?

Asking because after cloning ( had managed to clone mbr, I think it was ), both drives have the same uuid and I was trying to figure out if not finding images on reboot problem was uuid related. maybe grub with labels will work for me.

2 problems solved, 2 new problems. balance is preserved at least.

new problem 1) might be of interest to you. pressed the boot once from clonezilla then the reboot button. but headless server failed to come back up. attaching screen & keyboard and retrying i caught it saying this before pausing at the grub select menu.

so, put clonezilla on a usb key and tried manually, noticed that my boot /dev/sdcX disk become /dev/sdd and my target backup on the raid adapter (/dev/sdd ) becomes /dev/sdc. perhaps the trouble? target ssd is on hotswap port of megaraid as 'raid0'( standard weird way to have one disk on megaraid)
    the log from 'boot once from clonezilla' seemed happy,

Code
    Found linux image: /boot/vmlinuz-3.2.0-4-amd64
    Found initrd image: /boot/initrd.img-3.2.0-4-amd64
    done
    Done...

new problem 2) my second ssd is seen as 1gb smaller than the first, no idea why. they're identical, except the target was used for a bit as a cachecade disk and resides on a hotswap port of the raid card as 'raid 0' so clonezilla won't clone to it in disk to disk mode.

q: will imaging option work with the omv restore plugins?

solved problems 1. hadn't appreciated the note on the plugin page saying clonezilla iso was 130 mb, i now understand that's something to pay attention to. maybe a df check before download?

solved problems 2. dpkg --purge to remove old kernels freed up some space. mostly it was the /boot/*old-dkms files though. these were from dkms install of 10gbe solarflare drivers and upgrade drivers, appears one has to clear them by hand 'rm /boot/*.old-dkms' after that had 40mb at least left over after the clonezilla iso download.

I think i'm good to go with this plan

remove broken clonezilla download in /boot, purge old kernels with dpgk and I should have enough space.

re-try omv-backup install, backup, test restore, reboot from usb iso and resize /boot to be a bit bigger.

ls -ls /boot/
    total 228875
    135874 -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 138588888 Nov 15 20:18 clonezilla-live-2.2.4-12-i686-pae.iso
    105 -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 106193 May 13 2014 config-2.6.32-5-amd64
    128 -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 129206 Jun 6 09:51 config-3.2.0-0.bpo.4-amd64
    128 -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 129281 Oct 30 05:44 config-3.2.0-4-amd64
    5 drwxr-xr-x 3 root root 5120 Nov 1 20:42 grub
    10575 -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 10784185 Nov 11 18:19 initrd.img-2.6.32-5-amd64
    10079 -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 10278495 Oct 26 18:49 initrd.img-2.6.32-5-amd64.old-dkms
    3069 -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 3128727 Nov 11 18:19 initrd.img-2.6.32-5-openvz-amd64
    3069 -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 3128648 Nov 11 18:19 initrd.img-2.6.32-5-vserver-amd64
    3069 -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 3128721 Nov 11 18:19 initrd.img-2.6.32-5-xen-amd64
    11527 -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 11756000 Nov 11 18:19 initrd.img-3.2.0-0.bpo.4-amd64
    10873 -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 11088603 Oct 26 18:49 initrd.img-3.2.0-0.bpo.4-amd64.old-dkms
    3069 -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 3128743 Nov 11 18:19 initrd.img-3.2.0-0.bpo.4-rt-amd64
    12047 -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 12286093 Nov 11 18:19 initrd.img-3.2.0-4-amd64
    11557 -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 11786465 Oct 26 18:54 initrd.img-3.2.0-4-amd64.old-dkms
    12 drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 12288 Jan 9 2014 lost+found
    1637 -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 1668057 May 13 2014 System.map-2.6.32-5-amd64
    1991 -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 2029390 Jun 6 09:51 System.map-3.2.0-0.bpo.4-amd64
    2075 -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 2113839 Oct 30 05:44 System.map-3.2.0-4-amd64
    2381 -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 2426656 May 13 2014 vmlinuz-2.6.32-5-amd64
    2817 -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 2871344 Jun 6 09:45 vmlinuz-3.2.0-0.bpo.4-amd64
    2788 -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 2842464 Oct 30 05:42 vmlinuz-3.2.0-4-amd64

thanks, i'd *just* finally realized it didn't create the /boot. It is a non-standard install, lenny originally which picked my partition sizes though knowing myself I probably tweaked them. then upgraded to wheezy then upgraded omv from 0.5x to 1.x.

I added parted -l after the fdisk -l

Hello,
    I installed openmediavault-backup 1.0.6 for the first time, which went fine, then clicked install on the clonezilla tab which failed at ~80% ( lost the log sorry ) with a message that it ran out of boot space. It made a /boot partition on my system disk, but apparently too small. I have lots of room, perhaps configured oddly as this is omv on top of a debian install. Any hints on how/where to give it the space it wants?
    I want to backup to /dev/sdd which is a twin of my system drive but in a hotswap raid slot. /dev/sdb1 is for backing up data if it matters

partially answering this myself,

not necessary to do apt-get install postfix ( unsure if it would harm things still ).
    proper way is go to omv web interface -> notifcations, fill that out and enable it. this adds the start scripts to rc*.d/ and probably other stuff as well.

didn't notice it in a guide yet, so for google I think either port works 587, ssl/tsl enabled, smtp.gmail.com then have to 'enable less secure apps' for your google account. that enable less secure apps makes it seem like i've messed up somehow though ( https://www.google.com/settings/security/lesssecureapps )

edit: adding that, since mozilla thunderbird also has to 'enable less secure apps' it can't be too bad and not worth figuring out how to set up google oath with a mailserver on debian.

Howdy,
    I think I need to reinstall postfix, or reconfigure it but don't want to damage anything omv so wondering if there's an omv way to fix it.

I'm setting up a cron job to mail me when a disk fails in my raid ( lsi add in card, not managed in omv ), but having issues with using postfix to mail.

so i ran chckconfig which told me this
    chkconfig postfix on
    insserv: warning: current start runlevel(s) (empty) of script `postfix' overrides LSB defaults (2 3 4 5).
    insserv: warning: current stop runlevel(s) (0 1 2 3 4 5 6) of script `postfix' overrides LSB defaults (0 1 6).
    insserv: warning: current start runlevel(s) (empty) of script `postfix' overrides LSB defaults (2 3 4 5).
    insserv: warning: current stop runlevel(s) (0 1 2 3 4 5 6) of script `postfix' overrides LSB defaults (0 1 6).

and there's no S* scripts for postfix in /etc/rc*, but lots of kill scripts.

should I apt-get remove then apt-get install postfix? not terribly familiar with debian package management but if so, plan on walking through this page https://wiki.debian.org/Postfi…iguring_Postfix_on_Debian

thanks for any advice.

Hello,
    I went from squeeze to wheezy then did the upgrade of omv from 0.5.latest(forgot) to 1.0.29, downloaded new omv-extras deb package and installed through web interface, and refreshed. Problem is the plex plugin isn't listed, I get 2 pages of up to date listed plugins, with that one strangely absent. omv-extras plugin is 1.0.9 Does my source list look off? Or any ideas what to check?

root@omv:/etc/apt/sources.list.d# ls -l
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 15 Sep 30 01:02 omv-extras-org-custom.list
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 87 Sep 30 01:02 omv-extras-org-kralizec.list
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 60 Sep 30 00:45 openmediavault.list
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 45 Nov 2 2011 openmediavault-local.list

root@omv:/etc/apt/sources.list.d# cat *

# Custom repos
    # Regular omv-extras.org repo
    deb http://packages.omv-extras.org/debian/ kralizec main
    deb http://packages.openmediavault.org/public kralizec main
    deb file:/var/cache/openmediavault/archives /