Posts by ellnic

Quote from "davidh2k"

And I highly recommend to not do that! The upgrade process is still not 100% smooth and it can be hard for normal users to fix theire systems if they encounter an error while upgrading. So, do not upgrade to 0.6 if you don't really need to.

Greetings
    David

Sorry I should clarify what I meant. I have never been a big fan of upgrading an OS via dist-upgrade etc and have always opted for a fresh install. What I meant by upgrade was 'move to'. I did a clean install of Wheezy and put Kralizec on it. This is how I would suggest it be done.

Quote from "ArmandH"

i have same issue, would love to see some new version, i am running omv 0.4.38

I would highly recommend updating to Wheezy and Kralizec. I've experienced no issues with the beta thus far, and you get your forked-dappd back :) Ryecoaaron's compiled ejurgensen's latest build, so you have a fix for the time out issue and a ton of other features.

Well so far so good. I've tested it this evening with a chunk of my collection (which is mostly ALAC/FLAC) and some MP3/AAC too. There are obviously some things I can't test due to not having a Soundbridge etc, but for iTunes, the time out issue and various formats it's a winner. I'll continue testing over the next few days and let you know if any problems pop up :)

Yes I am using a 64-bit system.... finally ;) The other half got fed up with my bitching about i386 libraries and bought me a HP N54L as a happy NAS day present a few months back.

Anyway.. you have hit the nail on the head with that package... have been running it for 15 mins and it hasn't cut out.

I started this album from the begining... it should have cut out half way through Tokyo..

..but it soldiered on ;)

I noticed the don't scan at startup config is in the conf - good stuff :D Exactly what Kralizec needs. THANK YOU :mrgreen:

This issue is something that plagued me for a while. It's an iTunes issue, but can be fixed from the server side.

Check this out: http://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=49928

The version there by ejurgensen completely fixes the iTunes issue as well as adding a host of other features - including the ability to not scan on each boot which is useful for me because I shut my NAS down and have 400GB of music. I would very much like to see this as the replacement plugin for Kralizec moving forward, as it's clearly the future of the DAAP service for Linux.

Quote from "tekkbebe"

I wish they would build a small arm device that had a case and 2 hot swap slots for 2.5 inch drives. It would be pretty cool, a perfect mini OMV.

Look at the ODRIOD-XU by Hard Kernel. It has USB3 as a compromise for speed and hot swap, grab a decent enclosure with RAID and you're done :)

The problem that I am finding with a lot of the arm devices is that they either do not have gigabit ethernet (like the RasPi) or it is not yet supported (Cubietruck).. I have a Cubietruck that I am planning to turn into a NAS, and the problem I have at the moment is that Cubietech haven't actually got a Linux image with gigabit ethernet.

On the front of OMV and Debain killing the flash, I believe most boards with flash have an SD slot also? That would solve the problem. :)

EDIT: I thought the ODROID_XU had gigabit ethernet, but it doesn't... so I guess the Cubietruck is the fastest thing in the way of arm... once they get the ethernet sorted :P

EDIT2: UDOO Quad has gigabit :P

I usually use linux with DAAP with no problems, but there is quite a bit of discussion on the Apple forums about this... tons of people have the same issue.. it seems like iTunes 9.2.1 and before work, so if you can use that, it will be fine. Oddly though, even with this bug, I still find OMV's DAAP plugin the best (providing I don't use iTunes).. for example some of the other NAS solutions DAAP plugins have issues you can't work around.. one of them refuses to convert flac on the fly... weird. Hopefully this will get sorted when 0.6 comes out :)

Hi all,

Just wanted to chime in on this topic..

I use OMV at home and I think it's a great solution for home users - at present. I would like to point out, that when I download the 32-bit ISO it is because my home setup uses an Atom sat in an ITX and not because I am unsure if the amd64 ISO is what I need. Maybe to solve this problem, the ISOs could be renamed simply with "32-bit" and "64-bit" suffixes to see if the download behaviors change? I realise that OMV can be installed on a Debian system - but some don't. If the 32-bit ISO is to be removed for the next release, there should be clear instructions for the users who are not sure what to do. This way, it will keep faithful followers from wondering elsewhere believing that this project dropped support for them. OMV is presently a home solution, so we can't forget how home users think ;)

OMV has a hell of a lot going for it. It's Debain based for starters which means... filesystem choice, package choice, HARDWARE SUPPORT! - and who doesn't love Debian? ;) I like the fact that OMV can be installed on top of an existing Debian installation with no effort. Try asking the two FreeBSD alternatives how to install their solutions on an existing FreeBSD install and you will get the answer "Why would you want to do that? Get real!". Well, like others here, I like GUIs :) Another plus point for OMV being Debain is ARM support... Whilst the Pi might not be quite what some are after in a NAS, there are a couple of others like the Cubietruck and the ODROID-XU which show massive potential for low cost NAS boxes. Both have gigabit Ethernet with the Cubie having a SATA port and the ODROID having USB3. FreeBSD for ARM is doesn't support Ethernet on either the last time I checked.

That said... I also agree with those who have said that ZFS should be a core component of the project and that the 64-bit ISO is the way forward - purely to benefit the business environments. At home my focus is on low power so my NAS is an Atom (soon to be ARM) with no RAID - my media center files are synced with an offline backup every week whilst critical data (family photos and videos) is sent to the cloud instantly - thus rendering ZFS useless when it comes to my home setup but it would be great to have OMV recognised as a feasible solution in small to medium business environments and I do think as others have said that this is the key item that would raise OMV in terms of it's competitors - this in turn will attract devs.

Just my opinions on the subject :)