Beiträge von miul84

So I have taken the 2TB Disk (the one with the speed issue) formatted it on windows with NTFS, filled it up with the same Data as befor via OMV and it still has performance arround 90 MB/s

So its not a physical Disk issue and must be:

- OMV

- the Formatting with Ext4

- the mounting

or what ever I'm out of ideas.

I find this solution nice:

• one Disk (#1) shared with read/write to users at home
    • one Disk (#2) shared with readonly to users
    • Rsync Job sending the entire content of disk #1 to disk #2 every sunday and or wednesday

Benefits:
    if one of your clients gets malware and it encrypts your shares on the OMV, only the data on the Disk #1 will be destroyed and you can use the data from disk#2 to recover.

If disk#1 fails, you replace it and recover from disk#2

if disk#2 you replace it and just wait.

I you like to can repeat the Rsync job more often. but you should leave you self some time to "interact" in case of malware has destroyed disk#1.
    If you Rsync every night you might not be fast enough to notice malware

On my pi4 I have two usb drives:

1. 2TB WD mounted as ext4
    2. 1TB WD mounted as ext4

Both drives when started and empty I could read and write with 90-100 mb/s

The 2TB disk is now less than half full and can only read and write with max 30mb/s

The 1TB drive more then 60% full can still read and write with more than 80mb/s

When I remove all the data on the 2tb drive speed still stays at 30mb/s even if empty....

When I format the 2tb drive on windows with NTFS it's back to old performance when I then plug it on the pi and format it as ext4 again.

When it fills up speed goes down to 30 mb/s again.

Any ideas?

What I'm gonna try next is format it as NTFS on windows and fill it up there and see if performance also degrades there...

But it's interesting that the smaller disk can hold up performance even being more filled up that the bigger one.

Maybe it's an issue with the larger one having more spindle.

I'm a bit afraid to buy new disks as I don't know whats wrong and if new disks will lead into same issues.

I really want to stick with 2.5 inch external usb drives, maybe I should switch to seagate. But this could be a waste of money.

Its the headless/lite version from the official raspberry page and not the desktop version.

I know this PDF, and the only thing important there is the installation script.

Yet I didn't remove the 99-default.link as in the described in the PDF. Maybe that was my fault. Not sure what's in that file and why the script doesn't delete it my itself.

Hi guys,

my PI is setup to retrieve IP from DHCP where it has a reservation

On the pi there was already some stuff running:

- Samba

- Wireguard ( via: curl -L <a href="https://install.pivpn.io/">https://install.pivpn.io</a> | bash)

No special network configuration besides my DHCP reservation, if I was asked (like from the wireguard script) if I want to setup a static IP I said no because I have the reservation.

And everything was fine and hunky dori.

Then i recently decided to try OMV just to avoid Shell configuration und make it a bit more casual to administer the Samba stuff.

So I installed this script on my Pi

Code
    wget
    -O - https://github.com/OpenMediaVault-Plugin-Developers/installScript/raw/master/install
    | sudo bash

I saw this in the middle:

Code
    WARNING:
    /etc/aliases exists, but does not have a root alias.

but I think what really fucked up every thing was this here at the end:

Then script automatically rebooted without giving my a chance to investigate or repair anything and now I doesn't get its IP-address any more.

I don't have any monitor connected yet so I cannot see what really going on and I might just restore the SDcard with my backup instead of bothering arround with a monitor and keyboard.

But I want to let you guys know that there is an bug with this script maybe with WireGuard or the dynamic IP-setting.