Beiträge von Nazgulled

Hey jhmiller,

How do I install the new v1.4 version on Kralizec?

I tried to add the stoneburner repos (see attachment) and updated all packages (both through the web interface and manually with apt-get update) but I only see v1.2 for installation.

What am I missing?

EDIT: Just disabled the default download managers repos and now I see v1.4 for installation. Can I assume there's no problem in doing so even if I'm with Kralizec for now?

This is really interesting but...

I quoted this because I posted this somewhere else first but maybe I'll get a faster/better answer here... Hopefully :)

~
    I still don't quite understand how they work but after testing a
    little bit more I found that the following actually worked for what I
    wanted:

Code
    create mask = 0664
    force create mode = 0664
    directory mask = 0775
    force directory mode = 0775

I'll us this for now... Let me know if you have an alternative that makes more sense.

If you would have btrfs with daily / snapshots you would have easily roll back with no hassle to wheezy in a single reboot.

If it's this easy, why isn't there a backup plugin for this? Seems like a no brainer to me to have such easy and quick backup system. Is this just because no one ever got around to it (maybe lack of time or something else) or just because there are other things to consider? Just curious, not trying to criticize anyone's free time ;)

I know I can research those up and I like to do so to learn more (and I'm about to fire up Google) but... You just used 3 keywords in one sentence that I've never heard of (rootfs, btrfs and subvolume) :D

Can you please just give me a short overview of each and how would I use them together?

I suppose there's no guide for that on these forums?

I've recently screwed up my system and although I had a backup, it probably wasn't the best type of backup and it was 3 months old. I've always wanted to have a better backup system in place but never got around to it.

Well, now is the best time for it, since I'm currently reinstalling everything from scratch.

What's the best/easiest way to do a full system backup, periodically (say, every week) and incrementally? Or, as an alternative to incremental backups, always keep the last X full backups (to conserve space).

Around the forums I see most people recommending CloneZilla but AFAIK (correct me if I'm wrong) that is a manual process and I'm looking for something automatic, unattended.

On another note... Although I said full system backup, there's a few things I don't want to backup, downloads. And what I mean by downloads is not the final downloads, those are stored on a different data drive. I'm talking about those temporary downloaded files that will be used by post-processors and moved to the data drive. I don't want that stuff to be caught in the middle of a backup and be included, it's pointless.

What would be my best option? Thoughts?

Well, my system needed a fresh install anyways and I've always meant to do it sooner or later (granted I wanted to do it later, but what the hell). For now I have a the base system installed with OMV and now I have to setup everything else, which is going to take a while.

Since I have a backup, I'll try to use it as reference to restore everything to the previous state.

Hopefully I've learned something to avoid a similar stupid mistake like that in the future.

Thanks for your help :)

So I just tried to follow your guide but since I was not going to restore to a new disk (but to the same one) I skipped a lot of steps. Basically mounted and ran rsync. I was only missing the grub-install step which gave me a few errors and it didn't work.

I then decided to try the guide again with a few more steps and the "dd if=/mnt/backup/grub_parts.dd of=/dev/sda bs=512 count=1" command screwed it up even further because after that I no longer had /dev/sdaX (only /dev/sda) and because of that I couldn't continue...

I'm going to bed now since it's late here... If I don't get an answer from you with an easy way out of this (there probably isn't one) when I woke up in the morning, I'll just install everything from scratch. I really didn't want to go that route (a lot of packages to install and stuff to configure) but it's probably for the best anyway.

If only I had paid attention to my sources.list file... :(

Given my disk structure above, I'm confused by the following commands in the restore guide:

Zitat

mkfs.ext4 /dev/sda1

cat /mnt/backup/uuids
    tune2fs /dev/sda1 -U uuid_from_above

mount /dev/sda1 /mnt/gentoo
    rsync -aAXv /mnt/backup/* /mnt/gentoo/ --exclude=/lost+found

Mainly because I have lots of /sdaX not just /sda1.

Here's the output from my uuids file:

Code
    amaral@ATLASBOX:/$ cat /media/3TBXFS/Backups/ATLASBOX/OpenMediaVault-Debian/uuids
    /dev/sda2: LABEL="SEVEN" UUID="86B4F666B4F6585F" TYPE="ntfs"
    /dev/sda3: LABEL="System Reserved" UUID="10E8F005E8EFE6C6" TYPE="ntfs"
    /dev/sdb1: LABEL="3TBXFS" UUID="4d98f9b3-512f-4d8b-96c6-4c6c4caaab40" TYPE="xfs"
    /dev/sda6: UUID="23954a7e-ecc4-4603-a749-f265f6b5878c" TYPE="swap"
    /dev/sda7: UUID="5954dbcf-99b9-4822-95cd-04dd7589f854" TYPE="ext3" LABEL="HOME" SEC_TYPE="ext2"
    /dev/sda5: UUID="f585b441-b3a4-465c-9ffc-bbd063ac568e" TYPE="ext3"

Also, you can see above that /media/3TBXFS = /dev/sdb1 and that /Backups/ATLASBOX/OpenMediaVault-Debian/ is where my backup is located.

Please help me get the restore commands right before I attempt to do anything...

Ok, I think I now understand how this all happened...

My sources.list file contained the word "stable" instead of "wheezy" which I didn't realize it meant Debian 8.0 "Jessie" (which OMV does not support). So, the reason there were "a lot of packages to update" is more clear now and I've done something I shouldn't have. Without realizing it, I just screwed up my whole system.

Now, I believe all my configuration files are still intact so... Is there a way to simply downgrade all packages to the latest stable version from Wheezy? I since changed my sources.list to "wheezy" instead of "stable" and ran "sudo apt-get update". This way I could just properly reinstall OMV and hope for the best.

If not, my second approach (and probably the recommended one anyway) is to restore my old backup (from March 14th) from the Backup plugin. It's one of those backups where grub.dd, grub_parts.dd, packages and uuids files exists in the root backup folder. I have read the restore guide, but I'm still confused by a few of the commands and how to properly do the restore process without messing the system further.

For the record, here's my block devices:

sda is the main system drive and sdb is where I store lots of stuff, including the system backup.

Since this backup is from March 14th, I've made some configuration changes to some applications that I'd like to keep. They are all stored at /home so my question is, how do I restore the system without touching the /home partition?

Basically what the title says...

I haven't updated my system for a while and today decided it was time to do it. Since there were a lot of packages to update, I opted to do it via the command line instead of the web interface so I could better track the update progress.

I used sudo omv-update to start updating the system.

Well, now I don't even have OMV installed anymore and I don't know how to fix it...

Here's the package state of my system:

And when I try to install OMV with sudo aptitude install openmediavault:

I don't know how to properly answer this...

What can I do to get my system up and running as before?

I'd like to upgrade to the wheezy-backports 3.16 series kernel, but there's an issue... I also run Kodi (formerly know as XBMC) on the same machine I have OMV installed and the nvidia-driver package version on wheezy-backports is 319.82-1 which only supports up to 3.14 kernel. Is it possible, and safe, to install nvidia-driver version 340.46-5 (assuming it supports 3.16 kernel) from jessie on my wheezy machine? What would be the best procedure to do that?

I also have that annoying problem of getting 2 e-mails about OMV updates. They are slightly different but basically tell the same thing.

I'd rather just get one of these e-mails...