Beiträge von Tomdcl

I tried installing OMV 7 on my old NETGEAR ReadyNAS RN516 which I succeeded. :)

I couldn't buy a new Disk On Module (DOM) higher than 4 GB, as it seems the DOM being soldered on the motherboard of the RN516.

Steps which I followed:

1. Connect a monitor via the HDMI port and a USB keyboard.
    2. Installed plain Debian following the Debian minimal install guide
      1. Removed the existing partitions on the DOM USB drive (soldered one). I don't care keeping ReadyNAS OS6
        1. In BIOS set SATA port to SSD
        2. One partition of 256 MB (FAT32 and made it bootable)
        3. Installed GRUB loader on this partition
      2. Used a dedicated SSD for installing OMV 7 (Losing one drive...)
        1. Used auto partitioning for this disk
    3. Then followed this guide to install OMV 7 on an existing Minimal Debian installation

In the BIOS you can set the drive type to HDD or SSD.

Maybe you can do it differently and doing it all from the OMV7 install image, but this is how I did it. Reading your blog and others put me there.

Thanks

Thank you for your input.

I believe there's a bug in the BIOS/Firmware for the interaction with the Intel i210 NICs. I tried a PCIe add-on card (Startech) which have two i350 NICs on them. There I get a regular speed. But I have another problem with that PCIe card, as it blocks booting. But pushing the power button twice within a second makes continue the booting process.

I wait until there's a new BIOS and retry later.

Hi,

What I already checked:

iPerf gives me a network speed between 320 Mbps and 350 Mbps. I compiled the latest Linux drivers from Intel for the igb drivers, but no luck. Thankfully with some good guide here.

I stumbled on a thread for another NAS system, which says there is a bug in the BIOS/Firmware of the Asrock X570D4U regarding the network performance. Read the post dated on 11/26/2020 in topic ASRock Rack X570D4U - Performance.

I will wait on a new BIOS/Firmware, in the meantime I ordered a PCIe network card based on the intel i350.

Hello,

I installed OMV 5.X on the ASRock X570D4U motherboard (the one without 10 GbE NICS). It has a dual NIC INTEL i210 ethernet controller.

Everything works out-of-the-box. But my network speed is slow, transferring a file has a speed around 25 MB/s - 35 MB/s. I tested directly between a laptop and the motherboard via a cross-cable, same issue occurs.

If I ping (also via cross-cable), then I get a response around 1.5ms - 2.5ms.

I use only one port, so aggregation is not configured. The box has static IP address set.

Via ethtool I see that the connection speed is set to 1000 Mb/s.

It is a plain installation, not yet plug-ins activated.

I installed Windows on the same motherboard, then I see a response of <= 1ms. Also the file transfer is around 80-90 MB/s.

Can someone give me some pointers to look for?

Thanks