Beiträge von ibarot

Once done if you ever corrupt you main OMV partition this rescue system is available through GRUB to boot into and perform your dd restore operation. This means that there is always a Linux native system on the OMV box to easily recover your OMV system without recourse to other computers.

This seems like a good approach for systems that have monitor - keyboard attached. For SBCs running headless, I would guess having a separate up-to-date boot image on a different SD card / USB device is the way to go.

Well,

It seems USBImager on windows is messing the restore as the same backup on the same SD card worked when I created the Linux VM and used the gunzip command piped to dd.

The exact command i used was :

Code
    gunzip -c backup-omv-13-Dec-2020_12-23-28.ddfull.gz | sudo dd of=/dev/sdb bs=1M status=progress

Now my backup is restored and can boot from my Rpi...

Thanks much !!!

It looks like you packed the resulting file with gzip afterwards (therefore the .gz ending).

Thanks for replying. I used the Backup plugin within OMV Web UI and created the backup. The .gz extension was done by the plugin itself.

If you want to use windows, there are reports, that this can be done with rufus: https://rufus.ie/

I have not tried rufus. Although while searching for the solution to restore this backup I came across USBImager tool (https://gitlab.com/bztsrc/usbimager) which uses .gz as file extension to copy to SD card. Since this tool is available in Windows, I used that.

Using USBImager, the copy process completes successfully and I can see the partitions created in the new SD card. But it does not boot when inserted into Rpi. I also used my previous 2 backups but with same result. I am pretty sure my backups are not corrupted as I have them stored in two different systems and both have not worked.

Code
    gunzip -c /path/to/backup.img.gz | dd of=/dev/yoursdcard

Since I dont have a linux system, I am now planning to install a VM Image and try this command. Will update. Thanks :)

Hi All,

I hope I am posting this in the right place.

I have a OMV 5 on RPi4 running from a 16G SD card.

I have taken boot drive backup using dd full disk backup multiple times on ext4 drive attached to Rpi. I copied the backup files onto my windows 10 laptop as my primary laptop for office is Windows.

Due to some errors on my part which I am not able to undo myself, I decided to restore my backup. Now I read, I only need to use the .gz file and use usbimager. I am now using a new 32G SD card for this restore. I am however not able to boot after writing the .gz file onto this SD card.

I am doing the restore from my windows 10 laptop. Is this the issue? Do I need a linux system only to do this restore? Please guide.

Hello,

Am new to this forum, new to OMV as well as Linux and posting for the first time. I have successfully installed OMV 5 on Rasp. pi4 using all the knowledge shared here.

My shared folders are on 1 TB external HDD and am currently stuck during configuring USB Backup plugin. I thought I had it but later landed in a unique problem which I am not able to overcome.

I installed the plugin through OMV interface version 5.0.6-1.

Configured it to backup one of my shared folders to a blank freshly ext4 formatted external HDD which I salvaged from my old laptop. I ran a test using OMV UI as soon as I configured the folders and it ran perfectly.

I unmounted the HDD through the UI and unplugged it. As a test, I added some new files to my shared folder and plugged back the device. It worked perfectly. So I unplugged the device from my setup. [ATTACHED FILE - success.txt]

I wanted to do another test to delete a file from my shared folder to see it it deletes from my backup device. This is where I encounter the problem.

As soon as I plug the device the second time, I get an error. The sync does not work, nor my disks are mounted. I unplugged and plugged back in several times but I keep getting the same error. [ATTACHED FILE - error.txt]

Point to note, I then decided to mount the disk manually through OMV and ran the Backup through OMV web ui, it ran perfectly. (Wondering what I did for it to stop working automatically).

So at this point, manually executing backup through OMV Webui works, but it fails to run automatically every time I unplug and plug in the device.

I then disabled the service and enabled it back from the OMV UI. Now this is where it gets strange. IT worked, but again only for the first time. When i unplugged and plugged in again, it started giving the same error.

So, at this stage, everytime I disable and enable this job, the backup runs as intended the first time I plug my HDD but fails the second time.

What am I doing wrong?