Beiträge von benitude

So I did some other test and find out the linux command to change these values.
    After trying to change it to 0 or anything, here's what I did (using hdparm -M; -B; -s) :

Advanced Power Management : 254 - Maximum performance, maximum power usage
    Automatic Acoustic Management : Maximum performance, maximum acoustic output
    Spindown time : Disabled

I've rebooted after and it is working as it was at the beginning ...

Hello there,

I did some testing in order to move my NAS from my living room to my room. I tried to change the advanced power management of all my disk and since it is not working properly.
    I got 8 Western Digital Red 3Tb drives in a RAID5 configuration (5*WD30EFRX-68E and 3*WD30EFRX-68A). Since I've installed these drives in my NAS the APM, AAM and spindown settings were all to "Disabled". I put all of there as below:

Advanced Power Management : 1 - Minimum power usage with standby (spindown)
    Automatic Acoustic Management : Minimum performance, Minimum acoustic output
    Spindown time : 5 minutes

After some weeks I find out it was not the settings I wanted (way too lok to wake up after a spindown time). So I decided to change the settings as below :

Advanced Power Management : 128 - Minimum power usage without standby (no spindown)
    Automatic Acoustic Management : Minimum performance, Minimum acoustic output

It was better than the previous settings I've put on but still if nothing was using the drives it was like 5-10s to access the data when it was under the "sleep mode". So I've decided to put back the settings my drives were running on all these years :

Advanced Power Management : Disabled
    Automatic Acoustic Management : Disabled

Seems like these settings are not applied or something. There is still a "sleep mode" like a soft spindown which make me wait 5 to 15 seconds to access my data through SMB. When I log into the OMV web GUI I got the "File system status" widget on the Dashboard. If my drives are in this "sleep mode" the widget will be refreshing until the data is accessible which tells me that the problem is probably no on the share side but on the drive/filesystem.

Any thoughts on this situation? How can I be sure that the drives settings are really applied?

Thanks a lot for your support !

Ben

Hello guys,

I have the C2750 (AsROCK C2750D4I).
    Most of the time I use Plex on my PC which is connected to a TV and I cast Plex on Plex Home Theater so no transcoding. Therefore I sometimes use transcoding to cast directly to my Chromecast.
    I've noticed that when I cast it to my Chromecast the CPU is really maxed out. I only look at full BluRay remuxed so maybe it is not strong enough?

I should do some testing again because I don't use my Chromecast that often tbh ...

You shouldn't need more than 100mbps. Even 4k at 60fps is a max of 68 mbps. The new FireTV does 4k and doesn't have a gigabit ethernet port.

I've made a huge huge mistake, you're right. I apologize to @johndoe86x for this misinformation :|.
    Therefore I've made some tests that drawn my attention. If I'm playing a video with a max 50Mbps bitrate, it will take at least 10-15% more.
    But yeah, finally the 100Mbps vs 1Gbps must be taken out of the equation.

Regarding the wired PC through a browser, there was no stutter that I could see. I wasn't sure of a way to test the connection.

Be sure to connect via the private IP, should be something like "http://192.168.1.100:32400/web/index.html#" and no "http://www.plex.tv....".

@johndoe86x, I am pretty sure that your problem comes from the TV App which is connecting and reading files on your PMS through the internet. Here's how you can test it to be sure if you don't got the required tools (network monitoring):

1) Play a file with a bigger bitrate than 20Mbps from your wired computer through the PMS web interface
    2) On the OMV's web interface, go to "System information" > "Performance statistics" > "Network interface" and monitor it while the video is playing (for 2-3 minutes for example). It should be bigger than 20Mbps and of course the video won't struggle.
    3) Play the exact same file on your TV through the app
    4) Monitor the network interface on OMV's web interface the same way to see if it is stuck around 20Mbps. If this is true, then you're sure that you're streaming it through the internet ...

Yes, on my Vizio smart TV that's wired in

Be sure that your Vizio smart TV got a 1Gbps ethernet controller. Most of media players and connected TVs, even high-end TVs got only 100Mbps (wich can handle only 12,5 MB/s). If you got a 1080p movie with a higher bitrate it will transcode it.

1080p/720p in HEVC on wired/wireless devices

The crappy thing with them "connected apps" is that often they don't get the full functionality like the Plex Network Discover. So if it is, your app will connect to your PMS through the internet. If you got 5-10Mbps in upload you're pretty fucked. Happened to me on my TV Box ...

To test it, stream it through the web interface on a desktop PC connected with a 1Gbps link so you can be sure that your PMS is not transcoding at higher rate.

Okay guys, thanks a lot paranoidjack pointing out that we were using the wrong repository.

So if I understand correctly since I am not an expert in these configurations etc ... In the last update of openmediavault-sickbeard they changed the SickRage repository from ""https://github.com/SickRage/SickRage.git" to "https://github.com/SiCKRAGETV/SickRage.git" and we all did the branch update?

However the "real" SickRage repository is not in the list of available repos anymore. To fix our problem, we'll need to change the repository by the "official" SickRage repo :

1) Add a fork as below :

2) Change the repository as it was before and restart the SickBeard service :

I did it and SickRage is now working fine.

PS: keep in mind that what I can be mistaken about the source of the problem so if someone could explain me exactly what happened that'd be awesome guys!

Dang !

Since I stopped the server and did some modification after installing the new motherboard I thought "let's reinstall OMV completely and start everything freshly!".

It hurts ...

Hello guys,

I "paused" my OMV server since the motherboard went on failure half-november. Got a fresh one back from RMA yesterday, put it back in and everything is working fine except SickRage.
    I can access it without problem but if I try to click on a show it displays a big error message (seem's like a python problem).

I've tried to uninstall python (apt-get remove --purge python), uninstall openmediavault-sickbeard but nothing to do.
    Here's the error message I got if I try to add a show (new or existing).

Any ideas?

Hello,

Since the plugin update (1.0.19) I'm unable to display the temperature's graphs. Before the update all was working fine. Since it was possible to display more information such as CPU, Core, MB Temp I've tried it and it broke the graphs. I've read a lot of past posts relating problems with OMV-sensors and tried to fix it but nothing worked. I have to admit that I don't understand a lot of these operations neither.

OMV version 2.1.17
    OMV-sensor version 1.0.19
    CPU Intel C2750
    MB ASRock C2750D4I

If anyone could help me that'd be awesome!

Hello everybody,

recently I messed up trying to "apt-get purge openmediavault-XXXX" but instead I typed "openmediavault[SPACE]XXX", didn't read and the pressed [ENTER]... yeah ... stupid I know.
    Anyway I purged everything after to get a clean system and reinstalld OMV using "apt-get install openmediavault". I reinstalled every plugins I needed and everything is great.

The only problem is that I cannot find the VirtualBox repository in the OMV-Extras.org plugin. which include I can't install the VirtualBox plugin. I've tried "apt-clean" but it doesn't work.

Any ideas?

edit 11/05/2015 @ 18:45: I restarted the server and I got the 1.22 OMV-Extras.org update. Updated it and now the VirtualBox repo is there. Everything is OK now, mod you can delete this post :thumbup:

Zitat von "Larrondo"

I am also planning to do an install on a new haswell board, an x-10slm-f. Am I correct that if I install Debian Wheezy + Kralizec they should work without having to mess with the kernel? Sorry if it's a dumb question, I'm a newbie.

Yes, with debian Wheezy you shout not have any problem (nromally). I've installed Debian Wheezy + Kralizec with my board and all was with the basic setup.
    Therefore, I've read a lot about this card on the internet. Plenty are complaining about the unstableness of the board ...