Posts by fredfred

Dear all, can something like this be done?

A container running Wireguard configured as a client to my VPN provider.

On some of the clients on my network I just set Gateway and point to the container and they will get their internet access through the Wireguard tunnel inside the container.

Been trying to read up on this but I don't really get it OR if this is possible.

Like one thing I dont want is to have OMV defaulting out trough the Wireguard container - just some clients on my network through the tunnel.

If this cannot be done but you have another excellent option how to do this please let me know.

Heyyy, that was cool :)

Know if/how you can route traffic from one container to the other - so that ff container uses vpn/qbt container OR if there is someone who have made all of this in one?

So I've been thinking about this for a while.

Today I have a full VM, a desktop that basically runs just a webbroweser and qbittorrent and my VPN providers desktop client.

It works well and all that but I'd like to move that stuff to a container, using qbittorrentvpn would solve most of it but not the webbroser stuff that I use to get the torrent files or magnet links... is there a way to solve that ?

How do you solve that?

I solved it my way, it works - but I think there is a much better way of doing this.

The problem is not tvheadend per say, it's a shitty service I'm subscribing to...

Well anyway, tvheadend gets dirty info and chrases, the container is still running but tvheadend process have crashed inside the container.

What I do to keep it running is run a script on OMV that checks if the tvheadend website is responding every minute, if it's not responding I simnply restart the tvheadend container.

What do I think is the better way of doing this? Simple run a script inside the container with the same functionality.

Any of you do anything like this?

This is the container I'm using: https://hub.docker.com/r/linuxserver/tvheadend

Now, if you do something like this, please explain it like if you where talking to a child, I'm still pretty new at all this :)

May I ask what hardware you are running that on?

The one thing that I have never used is Docker - might have to look into the benefits of that as it seems to be very popular, now.

Well, I don't think I run OMV like most ppl here do, I run my OMV as a VM on a Windows machine, so in Hyper-V. The reason for that is my old Workstation is the family computer used by anyone in the house for checking some websites and our common schedule and things like that, was just sitting there and was almost always on - just lacked some disks and then it was ready to be "the house server".

Most ppl I think run OMV on hardware and part of that is to get RAID and stuff like that sorted. In my case it was just more convenient to get that stuff done on the physical Windows machine then wiping it and doing it all over again...

Also, may I urge you to run OMV (and anything else for that matter) run it in a VM no matter what platform you choose to run it on, specially since you a new to this stuff - the benefit of testing/running on a VM is that you can do a checkpoint/snapshot or whatever you wanna call it BEFORE making changes you are unsure off, that way you can easily come back to a running state and keep going. I think I went trough two or three installs and multiple checkpoints before starting to grasp all of this.

And when it's time to swap out that old hardware, you will be very happy that you are running on a VM that you can just give a new home and spin up and be all done with all config : )

That being said, other users here argue that OMV IS the platform and on IT you run the VMs, I'm not to say whats the better choice I'm just letting you now how I run it and why.

So.. spin up a VM and test out OMV, you WILL fall in love <3

There are some great videos made by Technodad and DBtech (and others) to get you started with dockers, but I urge you when doing dockers to ALWAYS go for a stack config (docker-compose), harder to learn and understand, but you will thank me later.

Anyway, for the config of my VM is like this: (the physical cpu is a Intel Core i7 39030k at 3.2GHz)

4 virtual processors

8 GB RAM

OS Disk for OMV = 10 GB (only for OMV, nothing else! 5 GB used)

Docker-Disk = 50GB (only for containers and config, 7GB used)

DataDisk = 1TB (only for mediafiles as described above, 650GB used)

Transcode = 40GB (Only for transcoding in Emby/Plex and Tvheadend Timeshift)

I hope this explains a thing or two, best of luck and welcome to the community!

I mainly use my OMV for media/TV, OMV itself is used for file sharing and storing docker things and that is configured in Portainer.

These are some of my containers and a little what they do.

TVHeadend, my OTA TV channels.

Emby, Movies/TV Shows/Photos - and Camera upload from my phone.

Plex (Some of my friends prefer it over Emby)

Wireguard (My home VPN)

Swag - Reverse proxy and certificate manager responsible for publishing some of my services to internetz.

Watchtower to keep containers up to date.

What service do you guys use for mail notifications from OMV?

I've been using outlook.com for a while, but that account is now locked due to "suspicious activity" .. my guess is that outlook.com dont want me to use their service just to get notifications from a system that never is online and view their ads or buys other products...

I dont want to use any or my normal accounts cuz I change passwords regularly OR use MFA to get access to them, and that would kind of break OMV notifications.

So... how do you do this?

I wont go in to what platform, how much performance you loose running what on where... but I must say running OMV (or anything else for that matter) as a VM makes backup and configuration much simpler.

If you need to change something that you are not so sure of use a snapshot or checkpoint or what ever you wanna call it, make the change and if things go bad just go back to the snapshot/checkpoint..

If the VM is backed up everything in that VM is backed up and configured just like it was when the VM was backed up, so a restore operation of the whole thing (or moving to different hardware) is sooo simple.

But there are also downsides to this, usually when you backup a VM its hard to exclude certain things from the VM that you normally would not backup - so if you have a large scratch space, temporary files and what not - those would be included too...

I run OMV on my Windows machine as a Hyper-V VM, every week I have powershell script that backs it up to another disk and that works just fine for me.

Then again, I don't have any specific needs for performance and do not need to get everything I can out of the hardware I have, just a simple OMV that shares some files and some light containers that run pretty simple things.

I've been running omv-upgrade as a cron for almost a year, no problems.

For all containers I'm using watchtower for the same period of time, and that works good to..

Both run weekly AFTER a compete backup of the VM running OMV.

So all my stuff is always updated, and so far so good :)

Dear all,

This question may not be directly concerning OMV, but OMV might be part of the solution. If a moderator thinks that this is to "off topic" please toss this post and notify me and I'll take it elsewhere.

So, where do you guys store your passwords and what solution are you using for it?

If may not be just passwords but other sensitive data like passport number and other things.

My toughs are something like this... If I use a cloud service like Bitwarden or others my passwords are accessible on "the internets" and from anywhere or anyone with my credentials. This may be useful but it also poses a risk. I can imagine that many people are very interested in obtaining not just my credentials but everyone's credentials... and we have seen many examples of data leakage in the past.

If I setup something local I have to manage everything, configuration, security, backup/restore and all that... If I go this route - what do you suggest and why?

First off, THANKS for taking the time!

On my router port 80 is forwarded directly to the docker container, to make sure I shutdown SWAG and connection is still fine.

I created another Wireguard container did all the bells and whistles, used the default port and opened the default port on my router and all that... everything connected and works fine. I now tried to PING some stuff and that works to, BUT I cannot even PING the container running Piehole. I tried to ping another container (also macvlan) and I cannot ping that one either.

So, I'm pretty sure it's Docker networking something... but I have no idea what or how to troubleshoot OR solve it.... anyone?

I do not route Wireguard trough SWAG, what I wrote is that I use SWAG on port 443, I use Wireguard on port 80.

I know that putting 0.0.0.0/0 will allow my clients internet access.

What I still do not know OR understand is WHY I cannot get my piehole working when changing from PEERDNS from =auto to PEERDNS=IP.Of.Piehole