Beiträge von fredfred

I have something like what you are thinking of doing BUT one major difference, I run my OMV as a virtual machine and one of the major reasons for doing so is to simplify backup. The VM is configured with these disks: OS, Docker, Media. OS+Docker on NVME and Media on HDD.

I do weekly backup of the whole VM with all disks and everything to an USB drive attached to the host.

I copy everything from the USB disk to my regular computer (I have an extra disk in it) and then copy everything on the extra disk on my regular computer to off site storage.

So this way I have two local copies and one off-site if the house burns down..

With this config I actually ignored the whole discussion of RAID and all that and went for "enough copies" of the data.

Food for thought, best of luck : )

Collect photos/videos from multiple people on a trip

I was recently on a trip with a group of people. All of us had phones and and took photos and videos we would like to share with each other. One of the guys on the trip said "if someone can facilitate all photos and videos I can put together an album for us accompanied by a video of our collective experience".

I said I'll look into how to collect the stuff and supply it to him.

So.. how can I collect all videos/photos from the trip?

Some simple way anyone know of?

This is a one time collection and not a continuous upload of all photos on a phone and so on... phones were iPhone and Android probably of all makes and models.

Preferably no authentication (or something very simple), not teach savvy ppl...

If anyone know any good solutions please let me know. A container or cloud service, feel free.

Thank you! :)

I've read this argument many times and still do not agree with it. I just like many others do use "sudo omv-upgrade" as a scheduled task and are annoyed by the "you have to do this manually" argument... and it's settings.

The way I do it (and have done it for TWO years now) is have to click the button once a month - and it have NEVER EVER gone wrong OR helped me troubleshoot any issue that have come from updating OMV.

What I (and many others I think) would like to option to have this done automatically, and YES we are willing to take whatever risk and tick whatever box you put in from of us to have this done automatically - you can be very very CLEAR that this is experimental, not supported or whatever you want to call it - and we would take that chance and understand that this may screw things up.

The way I do it... I run my OMV as a VM, this VM is backed up in full every month.

IF backup is successful and completed I run the "sudo omv-upgrade" (and would like to apply any changes... )

Below is how I do it, do not know the benefit of creating a .sh script and run that?

The only anyoing thing I have yet to solve is the ribbon that pops up when accessing omv webgui telling me to apply configuration or whatever it says.

Dear all, can something like this be done?

A container running Wireguard configured as a client to my VPN provider.

On some of the clients on my network I just set Gateway and point to the container and they will get their internet access through the Wireguard tunnel inside the container.

Been trying to read up on this but I don't really get it OR if this is possible.

Like one thing I dont want is to have OMV defaulting out trough the Wireguard container - just some clients on my network through the tunnel.

If this cannot be done but you have another excellent option how to do this please let me know.

So I've been thinking about this for a while.

Today I have a full VM, a desktop that basically runs just a webbroweser and qbittorrent and my VPN providers desktop client.

It works well and all that but I'd like to move that stuff to a container, using qbittorrentvpn would solve most of it but not the webbroser stuff that I use to get the torrent files or magnet links... is there a way to solve that ?

How do you solve that?

I solved it my way, it works - but I think there is a much better way of doing this.

The problem is not tvheadend per say, it's a shitty service I'm subscribing to...

Well anyway, tvheadend gets dirty info and chrases, the container is still running but tvheadend process have crashed inside the container.

What I do to keep it running is run a script on OMV that checks if the tvheadend website is responding every minute, if it's not responding I simnply restart the tvheadend container.

What do I think is the better way of doing this? Simple run a script inside the container with the same functionality.

Any of you do anything like this?

This is the container I'm using: https://hub.docker.com/r/linuxserver/tvheadend

Now, if you do something like this, please explain it like if you where talking to a child, I'm still pretty new at all this :)

May I ask what hardware you are running that on?

The one thing that I have never used is Docker - might have to look into the benefits of that as it seems to be very popular, now.

Well, I don't think I run OMV like most ppl here do, I run my OMV as a VM on a Windows machine, so in Hyper-V. The reason for that is my old Workstation is the family computer used by anyone in the house for checking some websites and our common schedule and things like that, was just sitting there and was almost always on - just lacked some disks and then it was ready to be "the house server".

Most ppl I think run OMV on hardware and part of that is to get RAID and stuff like that sorted. In my case it was just more convenient to get that stuff done on the physical Windows machine then wiping it and doing it all over again...

Also, may I urge you to run OMV (and anything else for that matter) run it in a VM no matter what platform you choose to run it on, specially since you a new to this stuff - the benefit of testing/running on a VM is that you can do a checkpoint/snapshot or whatever you wanna call it BEFORE making changes you are unsure off, that way you can easily come back to a running state and keep going. I think I went trough two or three installs and multiple checkpoints before starting to grasp all of this.

And when it's time to swap out that old hardware, you will be very happy that you are running on a VM that you can just give a new home and spin up and be all done with all config : )

That being said, other users here argue that OMV IS the platform and on IT you run the VMs, I'm not to say whats the better choice I'm just letting you now how I run it and why.

So.. spin up a VM and test out OMV, you WILL fall in love <3

There are some great videos made by Technodad and DBtech (and others) to get you started with dockers, but I urge you when doing dockers to ALWAYS go for a stack config (docker-compose), harder to learn and understand, but you will thank me later.

Anyway, for the config of my VM is like this: (the physical cpu is a Intel Core i7 39030k at 3.2GHz)

4 virtual processors

8 GB RAM

OS Disk for OMV = 10 GB (only for OMV, nothing else! 5 GB used)

Docker-Disk = 50GB (only for containers and config, 7GB used)

DataDisk = 1TB (only for mediafiles as described above, 650GB used)

Transcode = 40GB (Only for transcoding in Emby/Plex and Tvheadend Timeshift)

I hope this explains a thing or two, best of luck and welcome to the community!

I mainly use my OMV for media/TV, OMV itself is used for file sharing and storing docker things and that is configured in Portainer.

These are some of my containers and a little what they do.

TVHeadend, my OTA TV channels.

Emby, Movies/TV Shows/Photos - and Camera upload from my phone.

Plex (Some of my friends prefer it over Emby)

Wireguard (My home VPN)

Swag - Reverse proxy and certificate manager responsible for publishing some of my services to internetz.

Watchtower to keep containers up to date.

What service do you guys use for mail notifications from OMV?

I've been using outlook.com for a while, but that account is now locked due to "suspicious activity" .. my guess is that outlook.com dont want me to use their service just to get notifications from a system that never is online and view their ads or buys other products...

I dont want to use any or my normal accounts cuz I change passwords regularly OR use MFA to get access to them, and that would kind of break OMV notifications.

So... how do you do this?