Beiträge von flhtk2012

My most recent NAS employs a Ras Pi4 with 2 Hyundai Sata III SSDs, a powered USB hub, and (2) 50000 mAh power bricks powered by an Anker 2 port 20W power supply.

I run Docker over Portainer on OMV. I use the NAS primarily for file storage (1 data drive 1 backup). It hosts my mp3 collection for Sonos, and provides network storage for my scanner, and various other files. I run OpenVpn in a container, and use DuckDNS which I keep updated with an updater container. I also run a home brewed Streamripper container to record a weekly Internet radio show that I'm not always available to catch during its scheduled broadcast times. My next project is to employ SyncThing over OpenVPN to sync my summer location's NAS with this one.

So I recently upgraded from OMV5 to OMV6. My pi4 setup is headless and began with a wireless dhcp connection and then migrated to ethernet (static ipv4). During setup I needed to reboot a few times. Each time there was a huge delay during boot. I was able to troubleshoot by attaching a monitor and watching the boot process. What I discovered was that my eth-0 adapter was set to dhcp on the ipv6 protocol and since nothing on my network is serving ipv6 it hangs for minutes before failing and moving on. Disabling ipv6 eliminated the lag.

So it's bad enough that I'm battling through and unwanted OMV 6 upgrade and dealing with disk by uuid instead of labels and countless other petty BS things. I ended up doing a clean install of my headless Pi running OMV6. I Dragged it out of its home & into the living room so that I could use an HDMI port from my TV. I got is all configured and setup on wireless, took it back to it's home in the closet next to my router (hard wired Ethernet) where it failed to connect to the network repeatedly. I have a Black web power brick that serves as a psdeudo-UPS the brick was powered by a 'MyCharge' 4 A 3 usb port power supply that I probably bought from Amazon 2 years ago. This setup has worked for the past 2 years flawlessly with my OMV 5 setup. I have a Pi4 with 2 Hyundai 480 Gb SSDs powered though a USB hub and powered through the Black web brick. The brick in turn gets its power from the myCharge power supply.

So my problem was no Ethernet networking which I of course attributed to something in the new OMV 6 configuration. I troubleshot for 3 days. I could boot up to wireless ( on a different power supply or the brick without power) and then introduce a Cat6 connection but on reboot, nada.

I tried a new cable. Nada. I thought maybe I was getting interference from my camera NVR so I moved it. Nada.

Lo and behold. Disconnecting the power input from POS myCharge power supply and running from the brick batteries alone allowed quick network connectivity on reboot or restart.

it's hard to believe that a seemingly functional power supply operating through a battery power brick could cause total network failure but yet it happened. I popped a lower power Samsung phone power supply in and all is good again.

I haven't given up on my current setup yet. I'm somewhat handcuffed in that I'm 1000 miles away from most of my computer gear including a stinking usb keyboard. I did just lay my hands on a micro to hdmi adapter and found that my system is booting but not networking. I get 2 network errors during bootup:

1) failed to start openmediavault iptables firewall service

2) failed to start wait for network to be configured

So far I've verified that my /etc/netplan/20-openmediavault-eth0.yaml is correct & I tried introducing a new wpa_supplicant.conf file in hopes of gaining wireless access but to no avail. I'm scouring the neighborhood next for a keyboard.

So I've been running a headless NAS with OMV I believe it is ver. 5.6.25

I am running Docker & Portainer so that most of the services are containerized.

I found the mentioned Toms hardware article for upgrading to bullseye from buster, deployed it and was okay but updates wouldn't run.

I let the machine run in that state for about 2 weeks before getting around to troubleshooting it yesterday.

I had the pam_tally pam_faillock issue mentioned in the attached article and edited & updated the OMV config files to point to pam_faillock & all once again appeared well.

However updates from the OMV gui failed when all were selected because of various missing dependencies. So I began selecting small groups of updates and started running them. I successfully navigated through 2/3 of the list and came upon some php updates. (I did not take not of which ones ) Upon running the updates all hell broke loose. First the web interface crashed & then on reboot I lost network connectivity so no my pi is bricked.

In any past troubles I have always still been able to attach via network, with that option gone I need to search the sd card for the source of my troubles but I don't know where to start.

Can someone give me a starting point?

Thanks