Beiträge von degudejung

Sorry for hijacking this thread but my question seems to line-up nicely here...

I (Dell T110 with Xeon X3440 16GB, 6 TB ZFS Pool) immediately switched to Proxmox kernel after a bare-metal installation of OMV 5 on the server. Honestly, I just did that because I followed a tutorial that mentioned the Proxmox kernel would work better for the ZFS I wanted to set up. Indeed, the ZFS runs smoothly.

I am wondering though if it is still necessary to opt for Proxmox kernel. If I had to choose between "latest and newest and highest performance" vs "stable and not bothering me and allowing me to easily follow tutorials the standard way", I would definitely opt for the second. I sometimes run into issues like, when trying to set up a VM with KVM or optimizing power consumption with cpupower and the error messages point into the direction of "you don't have the standard kernel". I really want to limit my time spent on such problems. Should I expect more trouble, like for my ZFS pools, when going back to the standard Debian kernel?

Hi,

I started using OMV a few three months ago and so far found it the best solution for my home lab needs. Thanks to the community for all the great work - and a free product!

What bothers me is power consumption of the old Dell server I host OMV on. In the old days, running Windows Server 2012r2 it produced little to no perceived heat from its exhaust. Now, under OMV with Proxmox Kernel, it actually turned a small room in the basement from a perfect wine storage (always pretty cold) to a decent sweat shop. The CPU fan is always spinning and blows out really warm air. CPU load though, is typically < 2%. Drives do spin down as they should. I guess, there is no active power management for the CPU. I will add intel on watts consumption of the total system asap.

I want to reduce the power consumption of the system and I am fine with creating some latencies.

What I tried:

- powertop shows that all 8 threads spend > 95% in C6 (which should be good = idle)

- cpupower frequency-info says, that "no cpufreq-driver is available or not recognized" (free translation from German output), full output:

then I checked:

Code
    root@omv:~# grep INTEL_PSTATE /boot/config* 
    /boot/config-5.4.124-1-pve:CONFIG_X86_INTEL_PSTATE=y
    /boot/config-5.4.128-1-pve:CONFIG_X86_INTEL_PSTATE=y

my hardware details are:

It looks to me, as if the kernel modules for intel_pstat are not available. Since I am using ZFS, I followed a recommendation to ditch standard kernel in favor or Proxmox VE kernel (current: 5.4.128-1-pve). So I went to see if the PVE forum had a solution for me and I found this post: LINK There, they recommend tuning the CPU governor to powersave mode. However, if I try that, I get:

Code
    root@omv:~# echo "powersave" | tee /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu*/cpufreq/scaling_governor
    tee: '/sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu*/cpufreq/scaling_governor': File or Directory not found
    powersave

So now, I don't know what to do.

1. What is the recommended ways to optimize power consumption on OMV?

2. Could it be that the PVE kernel lacks the features and that I have to go back to standard Debian? If so, will my ZFS drives still work as fine?

3. How can I check if my CPU supports that (pretty sure a Xeon does...) and that its activated - or if not, how to?

4. How can I add the missing modules?

Sorry for so many questions.