Beiträge von BagsOfFun96

So I'm still pretty new to all of this and I'm still learning, but last summer I recently built a NAS to have my own Jellyfin server and for samba. My media library is getting larger and larger and some of it won't be viewed right away. To my understanding, over time bit rot can silently corrupt your data unless the content is accesed fairly regularly. It's not super common, but common enough that I'm concerned about it. So I tried looking into it and some other NAS operating systems automatically scrub the data for you but I can't find any information as to if open media vault does. If it doesn't, is there a way to add a plugin to do this?

My NAS is currently setup in RAID 5 with EXT4. I've activated S.M.A.R.T on all 4 drives and I have it set where it's scheduled to run a long self test once a month, but that basically just checks the drives' integrity and looks for broken sectors and corrects them if possible. That doesn't look for, or fix bit rot correct? Since my server is still relatively new, I know that I shouldn't be too worried about it as it usually takes years for it to happen. But I'm just trying to help prevent a future issue.

So I just recently built my NAS and I'm definately a noob when it comes to using or configuring anything Linux. My NAS is working almost perfectly in a RAID 5 array serving as my mass media storage and as my JellyFin server. But I noticed the drives don't spin down when it's not in use. I did a little digging and I've read some people say it's better to have the drives constantly running because every time a drive spins up, it puts more wear and tear on the drive. On the other hand, it seems bad to have a drive consistently on. Can anyone shed some light on this as I'm not sure which is considered the correct way to have my drives operating. My NAS enclosure is and old HP Mediasmart EX495 so the drives are close together but it has 2 exhaust fans dissipating heat so having them on isn't an issue for me. Just wanna know everyone's opinion.

So I've literally just finished putting together my first nas. Obviously I installed Openmediavault 6.0 and when I go to the storage tab to set up RAID, I keep getting this error.

Failed to execute command 'export PATH=/bin:/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/local/sbin; export LANG=C.UTF-8; omv-mkraid /dev/md0 -l raid5 -n 4 -N Data Vault /dev/sdb /dev/sdc /dev/sdd /dev/sde 2>&1' with exit code '1': mdadm: You have listed more devices (5) than are in the array(4)!

OMV\ExecException: Failed to execute command 'export PATH=/bin:/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/local/sbin; export LANG=C.UTF-8; omv-mkraid /dev/md0 -l raid5 -n 4 -N Data Vault /dev/sdb /dev/sdc /dev/sdd /dev/sde 2>&1' with exit code '1': mdadm: You have listed more devices (5) than are in the array(4)! in /usr/share/php/openmediavault/system/process.inc:195

Stack trace:

#0 /usr/share/openmediavault/engined/rpc/raidmgmt.inc(300): OMV\System\Process->execute()

#1 [internal function]: Engined\Rpc\RaidMgmt->create(Array, Array)

#2 /usr/share/php/openmediavault/rpc/serviceabstract.inc(123): call_user_func_array(Array, Array)

#3 /usr/share/php/openmediavault/rpc/rpc.inc(86): OMV\Rpc\ServiceAbstract->callMethod('create', Array, Array)

#4 /usr/sbin/omv-engined(537): OMV\Rpc\Rpc::call('RaidMgmt', 'create', Array, Array, 1)

#5 {main}

I have four 2TB hard drives and they're all visible by openmediavault. I don't know why it says I've listed more devices than are in the array because I only have 4 drives installed.. how can I be selecting more if there's no others installed?? I've also tried Striped and other raid modes but I keep getting the same error. Until I get this resolved, all of my work was for nothing.. someone please give me a clue as to what I'm doing wrong. I'm very experienced when it comes to building computers and diagnosing windows based issues, but this is only the 2nd time I've played with a Linux based os.. In other words I'm a noob here.