Beiträge von kiwibum

Problems:

1. I can't get a remote client such as "Retune" to connect to fork-daapd on OMV. I've got the standard plug-in fork-daapd working for a DAAP client on my network (Rythmbox). The remote client, "Retune", is definitely broadcasting to the server (can see it when I run "avahi-browse -r -k _touch-remote._tcp") but I can't connect to it using the "/usr/share/doc/forked-daapd/scripts/pairinghelper.sh" script. I've noticed the remote section is missing in the forked-daapd.conf config file.

2. The standard config isn't setup to connect to local server audio output, which is how I want to use the server plugged into my stereo. I would go through and set this up in forked-daapd.conf however at the top of "/etc/forked-daapd.conf" there is the statement "# This file is auto-generated by openmediavault.... # WARNING: Do not edit this file, your changes will get lost." There is no web admin interface for making any changes other than the basics of one directory to scan for music.

3. fork-daapd plug-in in OMV is version 26.4 which was released on 2 Oct 2018. There have been a lot of improvements from what I can tell, the current release version is 28.2. I realise this is a Debian problem, since Debian maintainers haven't updated this package, not OMV. I understand this is also a Debian problem of why there is no web interface to fork-daapd.

4. There is no information about the fork-daapd plug-in in any of the documentation for OMV, other than a statement that it exists.

Question: I am correct to assume the current plug-in version is really only for sharing music to DAAP clients across the network where other configuration isn't required? And, for what I want to do, using the server as the media player connected directly to my stereo and controlled by remote on my phone, I need to either compile and configure the later version or install the latest docker version of fork-daapd?

fork-daapd has been renamed to owntone-server for anyone interested. :huh::saint:

kiwibum, did the docs at https://openmediavault.readthe…#creating-a-network-share not help to solve the issue?

No, because those docs assume that I had done the setup correctly and wiped the data disks in OMV. Once I realised my error and reformatted my data disks with OMV, following those instructions for creating shared folders worked. Actually, creating the folders worked using the drives formatted by Linux Mint, but accessing the folders via network was problematic. From what I could tell the problem was permissions based.

I did read the "Solutions to common problems" sticky post in the forums, and heeded the advise regarding changing things outside of OMV interface on config files. This is why I decided to start again with my data drives rather than try to fix the base ownership and permissions via the command line.

One of the reasons I posted my findings above, I had read a couple of threads where the poster had previous Linux experience and were blaming OMV interface for not doing things correctly. I now wonder if they made the same wrong assumptions I did, we always think we know better;).

I've noticed a lot of posts similar to the ones above with problems setting up share permissions while searching to fix my issues. I outline my solutions in case it helps others looking at this thread.

This is my first install of OMV, I am familiar with using Linux Mint, but not a command line guru.

Problem: couldn't access shared folders with permissions set, and even "open to the world/everyone" access there were odd behaviors. This was the same as others have outlined, no matter what permissions I changed, or setup on OMV, I still couldn't access shared folders.

Solution: Two things fixed all my issues, and both, were due to my miss-understanding of how things worked.

1. I used OMV "Disks" menu to "wipe" the disks and then the "File Systems" menu to "create" the file system.

= Reason: My error was assuming that since I had formatted the data drives as EXT4 with Linux Mint while I was testing them they would be just fine to mount and start using. This was partially correct but I underestimated the issues with the group and user ID assigned to the disks via Linux Mint. I realised the error looking at the permissions and users via SSH for the mounted drives using "ls -l /srv/" comparing with a disk I did wipe with OMV when checking for the problem. It was easier for me to just wipe all the data drives using OMV than muck round with changing owner/group and permissions on the command line, since I was starting with empty drives anyway.

2. I re-did the passwords for my two users in the "user" menu in OMV.

= Reason: I had read that sometimes the samba passwords and system password files can get out of sync and to re-do the password for the samba shares is sometimes required. I assumed because I had just install OMV this wasn't my issue, however after trying everything else and finding shared folders worked after wiping the drive as above but samba shares weren't working correctly I did the passwords again. Bingo, everything working fine!

Being a new user and not being able to find mention of these two things above in any of the posts I read I thought I would join the group and document it in case it helps someone else.