Beiträge von Damob9k

Oh Cr4p !! that's sort of ruined that plan then X(
    Guess I'll stick with RAID 6 for the time being, and maybe look at replacing my Mobo / RAM later on.

Cheers for the heads-up though guys, saved me from making a silly mistake !

Ta

Damob

Thanks blublub,

Can't do ECC RAM without swapping out my motherboard - so don't really want to do that, how much of a risk is it not using ECC ram ?

I use my NAS for storing my documents, and as my media server (MediaBrowser) so most of what takes up space are mkv's so encryption,compression and deduplication is not that relevant.

It's mostly the self healing aspect of ZFS that i'm interested in .. I want to avoid data rot as much as I can.

Hi Guys,

I currently have a 4x3Tb setup running in RAID6, but am starting to run out of space so I have just ordered another 2 3Tb drives.

I want to switch to ZFS now that is a bit more mature.

My question is ... will my hardware cope with it ?
    Current spec of NAS is:

Asus H81I-Plus Motherboard
    Intel Celeron G1840 2.80GHz (Dual Core)
    Corsair XMS3 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 PC3-12800C9
    IBM M1015 ServeRaid

is it still the case that you need massive amounts of Ram to run ZFS (I read a very early document about it few years ago) my board can take up to 16Gb of Ram but is this really necessary ?
    And will the CPU be man enough to deal with ZFS ?

What sort of specs are people using with ZFS ? I'd love some feedback / advice from you guys that have already gone down this route.

Cheers

Damob

Hello all,

I have just done a clean install of OMV 1 on my NAS (did have 0.5) and can't get the MediaBrowser pluging to show.

I had previously installed OMV 1 on a VM on my main PC and was able to install MB on it, so I went ahead on my NAS.

I have installed the OMV-Extras , enabled Mono in the secondary tab, refreshed the plugins, rebooted, ran the APT-Clean tool and refreshed the plugins, Removed Mono and done everything again from the start - but I stall can't see the MediaBrowser plugin !!

The only difference between my NAS and VM is that I have installed backports on the NAS - so I rebooted the NAS and selected the 3.20 Kernel and tried the above all over again, but with no luck :(

What could be wrong ? is the plugin not available at the moment ?

Please help !!!
    Thanks
    Damob

Ok ... to look at this another way ..

Would it be better for me to run ESXi and have 2 separate OS's running (OMV 1 + Debian 7 with MediaBrowser Server) ?
    I've heard a bit about jails being used, but don't know enough about them or Linux to go down that route without some help & guidance.

Anyone ??
    Thanks

Damob

Hi All,
    I have a home built NAS that has been running OMV 0.5.60 since it's birth without any issues, other than it doesn't show any updates from the web GUI (but this is a non issue because of what I'm planning to do)

What I want to do is run both OMV 1 and MediaBrowser Server from my NAS.

So based on my understanding of things, I have created a VM (so that I can test the procedure first) with a fresh install of Debian 7 with LXDE window manager.
    I have have successfully installed OMV 1 on said VM, but when i rebooted it, it boots and then displays the same text interface as my NAS with OMV on it.
    So I now can't log into Debian. I tried startx thinking that this may have been disabled, but it says that it doesn't recognise the command.

Is this behavior by design, if so how do I change it so that I can log into the OS ? - or have I done something wrong in the setup procedure ?

Any help or guidance would be greatly appreciated, please note I am in no way a Linux expert so please go slow with me :)

Thanks
    Damob

Thanks again crisman & ryecoaaron for your help.

All parts ordered now, apart from the HDD's, just need to hunt down the best deal on them and then decide if I can afford to buy all 5 at the same time (probably not !!)

Shame I only ordered them today, gone to have to wait until Tuesday now for delivery.

I'll start a new post in the NAS build section once I've got the parts, assembled and found the best deal on WD red 4TB's !!

Cheers

Damob

OK thanks ryecoaaron.

Still confused though :) as HighPoint's website doesn't say if this is forward or backward, and my supplier has both forward and backward versions, so which one is the standard version ? Forward ? anyone ?

Cheers

Thanks ryecoaaron,

I again hear what your saying ... but other than getting the HDD's I want to build this NAS in one go and then not fiddle with it !! plus with the price of the IBM-M1015b that crisman pointed me towards my build is still cheaper than buying a Mini ITX mobo with 8 sata ports (well sort of nearly !)

@ crisman + others ... as far as these SAS cards are concerned, I'm a bit confused on the type of SFF-8087b cable I need i.e is a forward cable or backward cable (I can't find much that explains the difference well)
    This is going to connect to the back of the Lian Li PC-Q25B Mini-ITX which as far as I can tell uses normal SATA 7 pin connections, so is this one correct : http://www.scan.co.uk/products…le-05-metres-single-cable
    And is there much need to spend more money on these cables, i.e these are much cheaper: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mini…pters&hash=item43bf163a8b

Thanks for all your help again.

Damob

Thanks ryecoaaron for that detail.

Again looking at the LSI SAS9211-8I, they are not cheap in the UK £190.56 which puts me a bit over what I want to spend on the actual NAS box itself.
    I can get it for £62 from Hong Kong but customs will probably want to add a chuck to that as well !!

I will see if I can trawl ebay uk for any deals !!

Going to start buying some bits, case and mobo just to get this project started :D

Cheers

Damob

OK !! I get your point - I concede I may be over thinking / engineering things a bit. :?

And no I won't be running ESXi, but will be running my VMWare workstation virtual disks from the NAS - hopefully.
    One of the other things that I will be doing which makes me want the fastest transfer speed possible is re-encoding a whole lot of my blu-ray rips and .mkv's - I do this by copying them from my HTPC to my main PC, doing the encoding there as it's much more powerful and then moving the encoded files back to the HTPC, currently getting an average of 35Mb/s which is not maxing out my network at all (Gbit router/switch cat6 infrastructure cabling, and Intel Gbit NICs at both ends) - this is not from my PC RAID btw, I use a Seagate 1.5Tb drive as my scratch drive and WD EZRX in the HTPC, both speed test at well over 240MB/s.

This is the thing, if you take theoretical speeds at face value, then everything seems great, but the reality is that network stack overheads and PCI\PCI-E utilisation stops things from running at those theoretical speeds, so actually you do need to over spec things a bit to get closer to what should be possible - if that makes any sense !!

Going back to a previous question - does anyone know if you can use the RocketRaid RR2720SGL card in conjunction with OMV's RAID configuration tools, and if not is it possible to install the manufacturers linux utill (if one exists) ?

Ta.

Damob

Yes agreed, but I was thinking of using LAG and connecting another media centre to it at a later date, and also there would be occasions where I would be doing read/write operations on my main PC while streaming HD video to my HTPC.

D.

WOW thanks Guys (I'm assuming your are all male ! - if not I apologise)

Yet more really useful and interesting information here.

So..

Self build NAS = potentially faster/better than proprietary NAS = big thumbs up !!

SnapRAID = sounds good, but need to read up on it when home (does this replace the more conventional RAID levels and if so what is it's performance like?)

Logical Volumes - I had ideas of creating 2 volumes, 1 encrypted 1 not - but haven't investigated this yet - would that be possible ?

ServeRAID M1015 Controller - Tough to find in UK for not silly prices, also possibly not compatible with SnapRAID (I'm guessing)

RocketRaid RR2720SGL - I am assuming that this would still be better than using mobo raid controller + gives me the ability to run the SSD off the mobo and then still have the possibility of running the max amount of drives the case can hold (7) - as it's not a true hardware RAID card, would OMV be able to configure and manage the RAID from the webGUI ?

More questions !! :roll: I'll run out of them eventually :D

Thanks again.

Damob

Thanks for the comments again David.

That's interesting that you say most would recommend software over hardware RAID, I have pretty much only ever worked with hardware RAID with servers, but have software RAID on my home PC running RAID 0 with 2 x Velociraptors just for speed ! but all important data is backed up.
    I intend to keep backing up my most important data, but I also feel that with the correct RAID setup and good hardware and reliable software, having a 2 drive failure capacity would make the data pretty safe.
    I'm more concerned about the OS messing up the filesystem, I have read a number of posts about the cheaper NAS units destroying the filesystem for no good reason (Drobo & QNAP have had some serious issues, Drobo especially)

Out of interest .. what do the proprietary NAS units like the Synology use, software or hardware RAID, and how does a DIY build NAS compare performance wise ?

Also, If by the sound of things OMV is setup to work with software RAID, how does it all tie in when using hardware RAID ? i.e would you need to configure the logical volumes via the RAID cards interface and then just manage the shares from OMV, or does OMV have the capability to configure and managed the RAID array from withing it's own interface ?

Sorry for all the questions, I just want to make sure i'm doing the right thing before I start spending money !!

Cheers

Damob

OK Thanks for the comments, I will look into the ServerRaid card - so do you all think that proper hardware raid is still the best option ?

As far as cases go, hopefully I won't be needing to hot swap drives that often !! , size was really the main consideration, and also I think you guys over the pond get a better selection than we do here in the UK + your prices are much nicer :cry:

Thanks David .... I will have a good read when home.

Cheers all.

Damob