Beiträge von Sergio

errr, Yes! I suppose. Although I never thought I would read that from you, looking at your setup. :)
    Hello ryecoaaron.
    I was thinking that going straight to proxmox should improve on system backup and overall "undoability", to consider with a guy like me. And that a dedicated VM system should have a better performance.

But I'm sure that you have real experience on this setups. If you share your knowledge It will be appreciated.

I'm Sergio. Hi, Hello, How you are?
    After a long eyelids burning session, I decided that Supermicro board is what I need for my OMV build and I just ordered it.

I must say that while this machine is for domestic use, I'm a programmer and sometimes I like to do experiments on spare times. So I will be storing the media collection for my XBMC system (perhaps I would also give Plex a try), my project sources, my wifes (advocate) stuff, and if It's possible, the security repository and host my web pages.

My idea it's running OMV in a VM on top of Proxmox. I would pass the SAS controller to OMV and build a SnapRaid, then leave the main controller waiting for someday ZFS is supported :P
    But I have so many questions, perhaps you could give me a hand.

First It's the processor selection. My idea is having the rig up all day long, perhaps sleep at nights, but I want to economize as a could.
    At first I thought about the E3-1220v3. but as I got my sun tan from looking at the screen, the E3-1240v3 looked a nice selection. I guess if idle consumption would be higher compared to the 1220.

My 2nd question is something philosophical. If OMV is based on Debian... also Proxmox (IIRC) what would be more optimal, making the installation as I described, or install OMV in a full Debian and also install all the goods for visualization?

What would be the best disk configuration for the former setup? reserve to sata ports, one for SSD system and other for a 2.5" spinning backup (raid1??) ? that would leave me with 4 SATA ports free for RAID6... and what concerns me, how I would configure virtio for OMV to access those ports.

Thanks for been there sharing that splendid knowledge. (running home... running home... :lol: )