Beiträge von iddqd

So, it has been a while. Due to a internship my time has been severely limited and the "home" of my NAS is not my place.
    But, it was built! Pictures as proof. Forgive the low quality, HTC One m7 owner.

Build went ok, except for the scare the manual had in store, cable management, I had to cut some sleeves (for hdd led I believe) and one of the trays in one of the hdd cages is missing a anti vibration rubber thingie (grrr).
    Manual explicitly states ECC memory is not supported whereas it is supported. Almost thought I had thrown 80 euros down the drain.
    There is room for cable management in the Arc Mini R2 but some wires of the Seasonic psu are simply too short to be properly managed.
    Still tweaking the hard disk cage position and that is why you see some nice red sata cables in the side shot.
    Only 2 disks in at the moment, had a 3rd one but it gave a lot of SMART errors so it was removed. Both formatted as ext4, one is data other one is snapraid parity disk.
    Some people may have noticed the esata bracket in the back. Had one laying around and put it in as an afterthought. Really advisable if you want to transfer a lot of data fast.

NAS up and running for around 2 weeks now. Really pleased with it. Now streaming music using subsonic ~55 km away from it :)

Since the PowerTOP package in the Debian repository is from around 2012, I looked into getting PowerTOP 2.6.1 to squeeze some more powersavings out of my NAS.
    Here is how it is done:

Happy powersavings!

Use

Code
    lsmod

to see if the necessay kernel module is loaded.
    If not try

Code
    modprobe -l

, which lists all available kernel modules. If the module is in there use

Zitat

modprobe module_name

If the module is not listed but somewhere else use

Code
    insmod /path/to/module_name

After building and installing my OMV box, I tried installing Virtualbox through the webinterface after installing the OMV-extra' s plugin (lovely work btw ;)).
    The webinterface showed that it was downloading stuff but it seemed it got "stuck" after a while. Tried rebooting and installing again to no avail.
    So, I tried installing via apt-get. Turns out virtualbox-4.3 downloads at a rate of 6-27 kB/s. Since it is a 71.8MB file it takes forever (=~1 hour)
    Now this could be just the case for me (as I live in the Netherlands and thus am far far away from Oracle's servers).
    Long story short: be patient when installing the Virtualbox plugin through the webinterface (or apt-get), download can be slow!

Zitat von "lmrdaddy"

That´s with the fan control set to 5V. The case is sitting in my living room and with that setting it is very quiet. That changes if you set the fans to 7 or even 12V, I wouldn't want to have that in my living room.

Thanks, good to know!
    Luckily, for me, the nas would go into a spare room. Quietness is preferred but not mandatory.

I think I have made up my mind about the final configuration. Will post some pics when the build is done and up-and-running!
    Thanks to all who have given me input/advice!

I thought the case looked bigger then the name implied but thanks for clearing that up ;) Good to know, the last time I built a PC was quite some time ago. Luckily stuff (usually) fits only one way :lol:
    Very good temps, is that with the fan controller on 5, 7 or 12V?

Zitat von "lmrdaddy"

That is not really true, the G3220 does support ECC, c.f. here: http://ark.intel.com/de/produc…r-G3220-3M-Cache-3_00-GHz

BTW, I am running quite a similar setup, ARC Mini R2, Supermicro X10SLM-F, 8 GB ECC RAM, Pentium G3220, 300W beQuiet PSU, 2 3TB WD RED Disks. So in case you have any questions, go ahead.

The i5 mentioned doesn't support ECC ;)
    How is the case? Is the build easy to do? What are your temps?

Zitat von "KM0201"

If that's the case, wouldn't the webUI be essentially useless for the OP(if he used btrfs). If the webUI kicks out this error.. is it possible after manually mounting, to add shared folders, shares to services, etc?

I'd consider a Modular PSU, and I'm not a huge fan of Seasonic.. but that's me..

Yup, but "only" CLI will be sufficient till there is official support (which will be there soon, hopefully).
    Why a modular PSU? As for Seasonic, they make a lot of very good PSU's (almost no voltage ripples, high quality (Japanese) components, nice braided cables). Do you have some bad experiences with the brand?

Still a bit in doubt about the CPU (i3 or Xeon, 95,- vs 175,-). Wanted to do some virtualization on the nas but that is more of a bonus. I could do the virtualization on my regular pc and thus save some money. Almost sounds like a decission :lol:

Zitat von "ryecoaaron"

The next version of OMV is based on Debian 7 (Wheezy) which does support btrfs but there is still no support in OMV's web interface (yet).

As for ECC, why not put a socket 1150 xeon in that board? It says on the spec page that it supports them. I have a xeon 1220 v2 in my home server :)

No WebIF support does not matter that much to me since I prefer terminal. As long as it works I am happy :)
    Mostly due to cost, but it is tempting. Argh, what to do? I think that is the one! Otherwise I am going to regret not spending those 24 extra euro' s.

Zitat von "ryecoaaron"

zfs (plugin has been started) and btrfs are not supported in the OMV web interface right now. CPU will be ok for light VM work but will struggle with 1080p transcoding. The i3 would obviously be much stronger. Everything else looks fine :)

Zitat von "tx.canyon"

I have that CPU in my server right now, would be willing to run some tests for you if you like. I can install Plex and have it transcode to my Sony Blu-Ray player via DLNA

Thanks for all your replies!
    ryecoaaron: from what I read, using ZFS should be easily doable. The next version of OMV, which should be out soon, should support btrfs out of the box right?

tx.canyon, thanks for the kind offer. It is appreciated!
    davidh2k, thanks for the info. Did look at that thread but did not see that.

I am now considering the cheapest i5 with VT-D, which is the Intel Core i5 4440.
    When buying only one stick of ECC RAM, the total price is just under 600,-. A bit more then what I originally planned but if you want to do it right... ;)

Edit: Just saw that the CPU doesn' t do ECC. Then no fancy VT-D support, the i3 it is!

Hi all,

New to the forum and fairly new to OMV.
    Have been testing OMV on a ASRock ion 330 desktop I had laying around collecting dust. Liking it very much, so it is time for a serious OMV NAS build.
    Based upon the research I have done on the internet I have selected the following setup:

Code
    Motherboard: Supermicro X10SLH-F (6 x SATA, 2 x GbE LAN and uATX!)
    CPU: Intel Pentium G3220 Boxed
    RAM: Crucial CT2KIT102472BD160B (16GB, ECC)
    System disk: Sandisk U110 64GB
    Power supply: Seasonic S12II-Bronze 520W (Overkill but futureproof)
    Case: Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 (six hdd bays + 2 3,5" bays)

Usage scenario: Expandable, future proof, nice & small setup. I'll probably start with 2-3 disks formatted in ZFS or BTRFS with 1 drive for SnapRAID. NAS is primarely for storage but also used for some transcoding and for ~2 VM's.

Potential bottlenecks: weak CPU, might not be enough for VM' s and or 1080p transcoding. Alternative CPU: Intel Core i3 4130 Boxed.

What do you experts think of my proposed build? Any flaws/tips/remarks/etc?