Posts by Adrian E

Nope, no difference. It's frustrating not knowing if it's an e-mail settings issue or something related to my OMV setup.

I've tried setting up with gmail but it's a nightmare with 2 factor authentication and having to allow insecure access - not least as gmail seems to randomly switch security settings back on after 6 months or so....

Hi folks

Ever since I've upgraded to OMV5 I've been unable to setup notifications - tried all sorts to resolve in terms of e-mail accounts used, app specific passwords etc, but with zero success.

At the moment I have my notifications setup to be sent from Hotmail and received by a gmail account:

smtp-mail.outlook.com

SMARTTLS

my full hotmail address

recipient - my full gmail address

Whenever I try and send a test e-mail, the only entry in the system log is the following:

openmediavault CRON[13299]: (root) CMD ( test -x /usr/sbin/wakealarm && /usr/sbin/wakealarm > /dev/null 2>&1)

I do have a scheduled wake alarm for the server at 6.30am, but it makes no odds whether this is switched on or off - the error remains.

Any ideas very welcome - my main worry is that at the moment I have to log in to the webgui regularly, just to make sure one of my older storage drives isn't failing

Notifications in general seem not to be working very well, if at all. I've posted that I can't even get the test e-mail to work, and there's little to indicate the source of the problem in the log files. Tried with both hotmail and gmail accounts to set it up, and was working fine in OMV4....

Further log entries, but no idea of relevance to notification issue:

Still can't get notifications to work - switched to my Gmail account (with settings as per other posts for STARTTLS and app specific password) but there's nothing in the log files after attempting to send a test message......

ETA - this has popped up:

Jul 5 11:40:02 openmediavault CRON[15680]: (root) CMD ( test -x /usr/sbin/wakealarm && /usr/sbin/wakealarm > /dev/null 2>&1)

Jul 5 11:41:01 openmediavault CRON[15859]: (root) CMD ( test -x /usr/sbin/wakealarm && /usr/sbin/wakealarm > /dev/null 2>&1)

Hiya

I managed to get notifications to work when I first installed OMV5, but noticed a couple of updates that weren't triggering an e-mail to let me know. Tried various encryption modes and checked for any errors in the logs, but it's not showing anything at all related to failed test e-mails...

Any ideas why it's decided to stop working?

This is still happening in OMV4 as well - had it pop up after rebuilding my RAID post-drive failure.

Is there a version of this guide that goes back to first principles in terms of amending the value of spares from '1' to '0'? I don't know where to start (but presume it's in Putty or similar?!)

Thanks - I marked this as resolved, as did some further digging and got some advice from an IT tech friend. ordered a pair of new 3TB WD drives at 9pm and they arrived the next morning (one to replace the dead drive, the other as a spare in case the process of rebuilding the RAID caused one of the other drives to die!)

Since my HP microserver doesn't support hot swapping I shut it right down and physically checked the discs for the correct serial number - got the right one at 2nd guess. Interestingly (ish!) the drive that's failed is one of a pair of newer ones (albeit from 2014).

Popped in new disc straight out of the packet and went into 'repair' and chose the new disc. About 10 hours later everything was back to 'clean'. Now wondering if I can figure a way to house the new 'spare' drive within the server. Already have x4 data drives, an SSD for OMV and a spare 2.5" drive with a backup of OMV within the case (but not connected). I've got negligible redundancy on the RAID at the moment. I might be able to remove the 2.5" drive as that's housed in the optical drive bay at the moment with the SSD sitting on top of it!

Hoping those with greater IT skills than I can advise if this is what it appears to be:

I just had the following e-mailed message via OMV:

This is an automatically generated mail message from mdadm running on openmediavault

A Fail event had been detected on md device /dev/md/0.

It could be related to component device /dev/sdd.

Faithfully yours, etc.

P.S. The /proc/mdstat file currently contains the following:

Personalities : [raid6] [raid5] [raid4] [linear] [multipath] [raid0] [raid1] [raid10]

md0 : active raid5 sdb[0] sdd[2](F) sdc[1] sde[3]

8790405120 blocks super 1.2 level 5, 512k chunk, algorithm 2 [4/3] [UU_U]

unused devices: <none>Hi all

Looking under SMART and devices shows that sdd appears offline.

At the moment I can still access files on the server, but I'm pretty sure the RAID setup I have can only cope with one failed drive so I need to sort this before another falls over.

Anything worth trying before I assume it's dead?

Is there a walkthrough guide for replacing the drive and other steps to integrate a new drive into the RAID?

Many thanks for any and all advice :)

Adrian

Thank you for the pointer :) for some reason I had entered the static IP details etc but the config hadn't saved properly (I was having some issues with a Win10 laptop and Chrome browser which was blocking dropdown menus until I switched off hardware acceleration in the browser)

Set to 8.8.8.8 and now in business

In case it helps, I get the following when I run apt-get update which might explain why my list of plugins isn't quite as it should be.....

Hi all

Finally bit the bullet and installed 4.1.20 to replace my aged Stoneburner install in my HP Micro Server. Got it running OK with data drives reinstalled and RAID mounted and set most things up, but run into an issue with plugins. I installed OMV Extras, and from there installed Docker and Shellinabox. I tried to search Docker for Transmission, but the search box failed to populate as I typed and the direct link didn't seem to result in anything happening either.

I have tried to remove Docker to reinstall, but at the same time have noticed that the standard 'plugins' section now only contains my two installed plugins (shellinabox and omv-extras) and nothing else.

I'm now stumped as I've managed to lose Docker from under services, but Docker CE is still there and it makes no difference if it's enabled or not.

Suggestions very much welcome on how I resolve!

Adrian

Thanks for the reply - it more or less went smoothly! I had an issue with installing from a USB stick to an SSD, which I remember having an issue with before so some searching found the solution ref sorting grub post-install :)

Got most of the setup done but now having some issues, which I'll post about separately as this thread title isn't very helpful for that!

Adrian

Hi all

A house move and work means I've been ignoring the need to update OMV on my HP Micro Server for rather a long time! Although stoneburner is still working, I'm aware there is no longer support for it and I really should upgrade! I'm also aware this needs to be a clean install.

I have downloaded the latest version and watched the full install video, to remind me how to do it.

My question is how do I best ensure I don't mess up the date contained in my file system? I have x4 WD red 3TB drives in RAID5 and I'm using about 5TB of that, plus have a load of folder shares setup that I'd rather not have to try and recreate.

I'm also aware I need to remove the physical storage discs before I install the latest version of OMV (I have previously done an upgrade rebuild, but had an IT-savvy mate to assist me!) but I seem to recall it was a bit fiddly to 'mount' the existing file system once the install was complete and the data drives were reinstalled.

Apologies if this is covered elsewhere - not knowing what to use as search terms to find the answer has stumped me a bit! A link to what I should be doing would be great, or some idiot-proof guidance :)

Am planning on doing this either today or over the weekend, hopefully. I need to retrieve my server and find the key to access the drives first!

Thank you for any assistance

Adrian