Beiträge von texy

Disclaimer: I'm on OMV 2.2 - please don't kill me!

The other day I thought it would be a good time to upgrade my Plex Media Server on my omv server. I couldn't do this via the plugins, as I'm on OMV 2.2 and they are long since unsupported. I did this by going to https://akril.net/mettre-a-jou…rveur-plex-ubuntu-debian/

This didn't work, and plex stopped working. Not realising why (yet), I realised when I try "service plexmediaserver start" that plex didn't exist, and I have "plexmediaserverdpkg" or something like that. I followed a short guide on this forum to rename it, though that may have been a mistake.

And then I realised - the version of plex I installed is for Debian 8+ and I'm on Debian 7....

Really, I need to update to OMV 4, and that's a whole new installation that's required. Before I do that, I'll have to backup sickbeard, sabnzbd settings etc. Perhaps that's for another post.

In the meantime, can I get my old plex back? Or can I get the latest plex while still on wheezy using this: http://forum.openmediavault.or…ht=plex%2Bdpkg#post190167 ?

Finally, in case I mess something else up, I should back up my current plex settings. Can anyone point me to a guide on this forum as to how to do that?

Much appreciated for all your help!

I see, thanks.

Having looked again, it seems that sabnzbd/sickbeard/couchpotato are actually installed on the OS drive, but the plex database is stored on the WD red, and I can't change this in the plex plug in settings (it only lets me choose the WD red in the plugin page).

Regarding write to cache, I understand there was some advice against this?

Thanks for your input!

But I'm not sure what you mean - I am using the WD drive as a data drive. OMV sits on the 2.5 inch drive currently. Please explain.

I have OMV running in a mini-itx build, with one 2.5 inch hdd as the system drive, and one WD Red 3.5 inch 4TB drive for data so far. This build was meant for quiet, 24/7 operation. The case fans in my case (node 304) are excellent and inaudible, and the cpu fan spins so slowly I can almost read the logo! The machine emits a hum though, from the two hard drives. The system drive could be an easy fix, I'd just get a basic, small ssd, and no more noise. Obviously, I can't do that with the WD Red.

Thoughts:

1. Use OMV power management somehow. I've looked at the options here and set lower functions in Advanced Power Management, and Automatic Acoustic Management, but it made no difference. This may be because i don't know what I'm doing. I have S.M.A.R.T. setting set to Standby, so that SMART wouldn't spin up the drive just to check. I haven't enable write-cache, because I don't know what it will do.
    I've also set spindown time to 20 mins, though I imagine this will never happen. I have various plugins (including plex) that like to do a lot of reading and writing, and seem to be stored on the uuid matching the WD red, not the system drive.
    Maybe I could get a new ssd to replace the system drive, and then partition it so that its second partition can be used for data, and get all my plugins to install to this instead? I imagine that this would stop the WD red being accessed so much?

2. Get an hdd cage that has sound dampening, and place it outside the case, with some long sata cables? Is that stupid? I can't tell. I just need a way to silence these drives.

Any thoughts appreciated. :thumbup:

Hello guys.

I'm still having the main issue raised in a previous thread (files that require transcoding do not play). I've been through a few processes to get closer, and thought I'd share them here in case it helps someone.

Currently running OMV 2.25 on a purpose built amd64 build, 4gb ram, amd kabini.
    I use plex on:
    plex.tv (through browser on desktop pc)
    Plex app on Amazon fire TV 4k
    Plexbmc plugin via kodi on Amazon fire TV 4k
    Plex app on android phone

If I understand correctly, all of the above are set to transcode automatically, but I have set the Plexbmc plugin not to transcode unless it has to. Since this is my main way of using plex, I actually didn't know I had a problem until I tried watching transcoded media on my android phone. Currently, through all of the above methods of watching media through plex, nothing works except Plexbmc, presumably because it doesn't require transcoding.

I read through that whole thread recently, and thought I'd check which plex plugin I have installed from OMV-Extras. It turns out I was using 1.0.12. I saw advice here to use 1.0.15 but I couldn't find it!. Even when refreshing or rechecking through the plugins button under System->Plugins, only 1.0.12 was showing as an option. What I had to do was go to the OMV-Extras.org button under System->OMV-Extras.org and disable the plex repository, save then apply. Then do the opposite to re-enable it. Once I had done so, plex plugin 1.0.15 was now available for download

Next was to get the plugin. Having read through the thread, it seems the plugin has been edited by Tekkb (thank you) in order to fix the issues with codecs being put in a different location among other things. I understood that the problem could therefore be solved by disabling the plugin, then re-enabling it. I have downloaded 1.0.15, disabled then re-enabled it, though so far I still have the same problem. The next thing I've read here is Tekkb's advice to do a purge:

• Code
      apt-get purge openmediavault-plexmediaserver
      apt-get purge plexmediaserver
      userdel plex
      rm -rf /etc/systemd/system/plexmediaserver.service.d

I HAVEN'T done the above yet - happy to do so but just wanted to check it's the right thing to do.

Two other outputs seems to be requested often:

• Code
      ls -la /opt
      total 32
      drwxrwxr-x 8 root users 4096 Aug 29 23:14 .
      drwxr-xr-x 24 root root 4096 Jul 9 18:00 ..
      drwxr-xr-x 6 root root 4096 Nov 24 2015 couchpotato
      drwxrwxr-x 6 couchpotato users 4096 Nov 24 2015 couchpotato_old
      drwxr-xr-x 3 plex plex 4096 Aug 29 23:14 plexcodecs
      drwxrwxr-x 14 sabnzbd users 4096 Jan 7 2015 SABnzbd
      drwxrwxr-x 9 sickbeard users 4096 Jan 15 2015 sickbeard
      drwxr-xr-x 2 sickbeard users 4096 Sep 16 2015 sickbeard2

I presume you are looking to see whether plexcodecs are present under /opt, and there are as you can see. Also:

• Code
      dpkg -l | grep plex
      ii libmpc2:amd64 0.9-4 amd64 multiple precision complex floating-point library
      ii openmediavault-plexmediaserver 1.0.15 all OpenMediaVault Plex Media Server plugin
      ii plexmediaserver 1.0.3.2461-35f0caa-debian amd64 Plex Media Server for Linux

I hope this helps in some way. I presume you are going to ask me to delete the plex library and directories (after saving them somewhere else), purge plex using the 4 lines previously mentioned, reinstall plex from scratch, stop the plex service, copy back my original folder over the new one while overwriting everything, then restart the plex service. Does this sound right?

Thanks!

Hello guys.

I'm still having the main issue raised in this thread (files that require transcoding do not play). I've been through a few processes to get closer, and thought I'd share them here in case it helps someone.

Currently running OMV 2.25 on a purpose built amd64 build, 4gb ram, amd kabini.
    I use plex on:
    plex.tv (through browser on desktop pc)
    Plex app on Amazon fire TV 4k
    Plexbmc plugin via kodi on Amazon fire TV 4k
    Plex app on android phone

If I understand correctly, all of the above are set to transcode automatically, but I have set the Plexbmc plugin not to transcode unless it has to. Since this is my main way of using plex, I actually didn't know I had a problem until I tried watching transcoded media on my android phone. Currently, through all of the above methods of watching media through plex, nothing works except Plexbmc, presumably because it doesn't require transcoding.

I read through this whole thread recently, and thought I'd check which plex plugin I have installed from OMV-Extras. It turns out I was using 1.0.12. I saw advice here to use 1.0.15 but I couldn't find it!. Even when refreshing or rechecking through the plugins button under System->Plugins, only 1.0.12 was showing as an option. What I had to do was go to the OMV-Extras.org button under System->OMV-Extras.org and disable the plex repository, save then apply. Then do the opposite to re-enable it. Once I had done so, plex plugin 1.0.15 was now available for download :thumbup:

Next was to get the plugin. Having read through this thread, it seems the plugin has been edited by Tekkb (thank you) in order to fix the issues with codecs being put in a different location among other things. I understood that the problem could therefore be solved by disabling the plugin, then re-enabling it. I have downloaded 1.0.15, disabled then re-enabled it, though so far I still have the same problem. The next thing I've read here is Tekkb's advice to do a purge:

Code
    apt-get purge openmediavault-plexmediaserver
    apt-get purge plexmediaserver
    userdel plex
    rm -rf /etc/systemd/system/plexmediaserver.service.d

I HAVEN'T done the above yet - happy to do so but just wanted to check it's the right thing to do.

Two other outputs seems to be requested often:

Code
    ls -la /opt
    total 32
    drwxrwxr-x  8 root        users 4096 Aug 29 23:14 .
    drwxr-xr-x 24 root        root  4096 Jul  9 18:00 ..
    drwxr-xr-x  6 root        root  4096 Nov 24  2015 couchpotato
    drwxrwxr-x  6 couchpotato users 4096 Nov 24  2015 couchpotato_old
    drwxr-xr-x  3 plex        plex  4096 Aug 29 23:14 plexcodecs
    drwxrwxr-x 14 sabnzbd     users 4096 Jan  7  2015 SABnzbd
    drwxrwxr-x  9 sickbeard   users 4096 Jan 15  2015 sickbeard
    drwxr-xr-x  2 sickbeard   users 4096 Sep 16  2015 sickbeard2

I presume you are looking to see whether plexcodecs are present under /opt, and there are as you can see. Also:

Code
    dpkg -l | grep plex
    ii  libmpc2:amd64                       0.9-4                          amd64        multiple precision complex floating-point library
    ii  openmediavault-plexmediaserver      1.0.15                         all          OpenMediaVault Plex Media Server plugin
    ii  plexmediaserver                     1.0.3.2461-35f0caa-debian      amd64        Plex Media Server for Linux

I hope this helps in some way. I presume you are going to ask me to delete the plex library and directories (after saving them somewhere else), purge plex using the 4 lines previously mentioned, reinstall plex from scratch, stop the plex service, copy back my original folder over the new one while overwriting everything, then restart the plex service. Does this sound right?

Thanks!

Sorry for lack of info.

OMV 2.23 (I know it's a couple of fixes old, but it was happening with previous ones too). It is installed on a AMD kabini system, using a 2.5in HDD as the OS drive. I have separate storage drives in the box of course. It has been working fine for over a year, including backups (until recently).

Installing Backports kernel now to see if it will help - haven't been using it in the past year or so, and been fine. Happy to try.

Hello all.

As the subject says.

I have a windows 7 x64 install on my PC, on which I have set up a Windows Backup schedule, and told it to backup to my OMV box. It creates an image of the C drive on my windows PC, as well as some select folders.

It used to work fine for the last year or two, but recently every time it tries to backup, it fails and I can no longer reach OMV. This means no web access to the GUI, no ssh tunnel from Putty, no accessing certain apps on my phone, etc. The only way I can get it back is to reboot the OMV box.

One thing that is kind of good is that this happens 100% of the time - so it's easy to test. I have disabled Windows Backup for the time being until I find a way around this.

Any thoughts appreciated!

What hardware are you using ? (my motherboard had no connection when I restarted, installing realtek-firmware package solved it)
    You can also try to use the backport kernel, see if that fixes your isssues.

When you can access the machine, start analysing your logs and dmesg output, see if you can track as much info as you can like hardware failures, crashing software, etc.

(ps: yes votdev is the main dev on omv, and every of his commits are a blessing, kifflom)

I'm using an onboad nic, but the reason I don't think it's hardware is that my omv was working perfectly fine for ages. The only hardware that I know has changed is the router. Trying out another router and putting the isp one in bridging mode is a good idea, I will try that when I can. Is there anything else obvious that I could have missed? Even if the OMV box was on an ip address within the DHCP range of the router (which it isn't), the leases are 24 hours, and the problem takes longer than that to occur.

P.S. I can't believe votdev replied to my post! 8o

Hello,

I've been reading a few threads I saw in this 'network' sub forum, but I'm not sure my issue is similar. I can't do omv-firstaid (see below) and I'm not sure backports kernel will help since no hardware has changed and it was working fine for many months previously.

Since installing some updates AND changing isp, I've had omv become unreachable after a few days, only fixable by powering off the omv box then powering up again. I'm using omv 2.1.x (can't check right now because it's unreachable). I thought rather than restart it and wait a few days, I'll leave in unreachable in case someone has a bright idea!

I highly doubt it's the updates - this box has been working fine for almost a year and never had this issue. Since going to a new isp a month or so ago, this has been happening. The physical change was swapping the old isp router and settings for the new one. I've set up a static IP in the new router as best I could (it's terrible). I can't get to OMV-firstaid at the moment because I can't reach the omv box. This means I can't ping it properly, can't log in to web interface, can't get ssh via putty, and this is all from my desktop windows pc. I have an android phone on the WLAN and it also can't access any of the ports for any of the services I have installed (Plex etc) so it's not just this PC.

Any thoughts appreciated. I'm happy to restart the omv box, but then I'll have to wait another few days for it to happen again. The way I can tell it has happened is my windows PC is scheduled to make system image backups which it stores on the omv box weekly. Sometimes it beeps at me telling me it can't located the network drive, and I immediately know the issue has happened.

What am I trying to do?
    Using Kodi on a client machine (in this case an amazon fire tv stick accessing content from omv via samba), I want to be able to write directly to the folder in which the media (TV, film, music etc) is kept on the OMV box. This would mean "/Media/UUID/Video/Film/[title name]" as an example.

What's the issue?
    One function of couchpotato is to use the couchpotato renamer, which is great. This allows couchpotato to create a subfolder in the folder of your choice, and name it according to conventions that you wish (such as name, year etc). When couchpotato does this, it does so as the couchpotato user obviously, and owns the folder. Since the kodi user (on the fire stick) is not couchpotato, it doesn't have write permissions, so it can't write to the individual folder name. Ideally, I'd like to be able to write to folders using kodi, but not delete - if this is possible.

What can be done?
    I've thought of some possible solutions, but not sure if any of my thinking is correct (or I will mess something up). Hopefully someone can point me in the right direction:

Option 1: Change the owner of the video folder, recursively. This might work straight away, but any new folder created by couchpotato in future would have the same problem again.
    Option 2: Reset permissions on the video folder, using the OMV gui. I'm not sure if this will work, or will have the same problem as the Option 1.
    Option 3: Tell kodi to login as the couchpotato user. Risky? Would this create more trouble than it solves? Kodi would then have access to write to the video folder, but some other files in there could be owned by a different user in future, so this would be a temporary fix.
    Option 4: Give the user on the kodi machine write permissions. Or give the user group write permissions. I did try to give the users group write permissions, but it didn't work. Perhaps I did it wrong.
    Option 5: Maybe someone has a better idea than all these?!

Advice appreciated - it's all a learning process.

A question for you then - how slow is the plex interface (either in the plex app or plexbmc via kodi)? Does it take a few seconds every time you click something? Does skipping 30secs ahead in a video take a long time?

Have you tried another shared folder for the backup?
    Does your shared folder end in "/" (forward slash)?
    Have you tried resetting permissions on the shared folders (on the shared folders tab)?

I have tried both backup and restore on a clean install and both work ok.

Thanks for your reply. I assume all three questions were about point no 4 - Sickbeard. If so:
    1. Yes I tried another folder - and it DID work
    2. Yes, the shared folder ends in a forward slash, as does the shared folder that did work for the backup, but I'm not sure why one worked and the other didn't. I'm sure it's something trivial I've missed.
    3. Yes, though this didn't help for the folder that didn't work to backup to.

On a side note, thanks for all your great plugins :)

I am having or have been having some issues with plugins for quite a while, which I can't help feel are all permission related in one way or another. I could be completely wrong and a massive idiot, but hopefully we'll find out!

1. PLEX
    I have the PlexMediaServer plugin, which seems to work fine in general. I've been reading on the plex wiki about transcoding and cpu power. They recommend some tests using verbose logging, then viewing the log files. However, I've enabled verbose logging, ran some videos, and then went to the following directory to check the log files:

/var/lib/plexmediaserver/Library/Application Support/Plex Media Server/Logs/

This is the directory that Plex logs are stored in by default on Debian (from Plex wiki). I found the files, but they all have a modify date of January 7th/8th this year, more than 9 months ago. That can't be right can it? I checked the permissions, and changed them to 755 just in case anyway (I know someone will tell me off for this)! They are also owned by the Plex user.
    Needless to say, nothing in this log file is any use to my recent tests if they weren't updated. What am I doing wrong?

2. SABNZBD
    I have the Sabnzbd plugin. Seems to work mostly fine, but every now and then I see the following warning:

2015-10-03 15:58:56,358 ERROR:Cannot change permissions of /media/[MEDIA ID]/SABNZBDworkingfolders/Temporary downloads

This directory has 755 recursively, and is owned by root. Again, what am I doing wrong?

3. Couchpotato (not errors, just information)
    I use both of the excellent sickbeard and couchpotato plugins. The sickbeard one appears to have been updated more recently than the CouchPotato one, in terms of web interface (again correct me if I'm wrong). The CP one has separate backup and restore buttons on the omv plugin gui. The backup button zips the relevant settings files and puts them at the root of your data drive of choice, naming the file CPBackup. The restore button lets you restore a CPBackup file from the root of a drive.

4. Sickbeard
    The Sickbeard plugin has a new backup/restore function, at the top of the plugin. This lets you backup or restore to/from a shared folder, not root of a data drive like before (or like the CP plugin). This meant I was unable to restore a previously made SBbackup file (as it was in the root of the data drive) and still couldn't restore it when moved to a shared folder (perhaps that was my fault, or the restore function was looking for something else).
    Now, if I try to backup the sickbeard data using this feature, I get the following error:

I've checked the permissions and owners of the shared folder that I'm trying to backup to, but it looks OK to me. Again, that doesn't mean that it's OK - please tell me if I'm doing something wrong.

Thanks for looking, and I hope this helps others too.