Beiträge von ENIAC

Zitat von "KM0201"

Scheduling the jobs is also a fairly simple matter. I had a lot of problems figuring out the scheduling at first, because it didn't make a lot of sense (and frankly, I still think it's a little odd). Then an explanation of how it was to be setup made it clear.. and it's worked flawlessly for me.

Oh cool, that sounds exciting what you do. I am going to play with RAID1 and will try your idea to see how this turns out. Logically, there is a small window for data loss in the Rsync method which is the period between two sync jobs. However, there is the flexibility of recovering mistake on file deletion. I suppose will likely run into the scheduling issue too. Is the documentation included in OMV? If not, do you still have the link? Is is a GUI to create cron jobs or is it a totalling different scheduling system?

Zitat von "ryecoaaron"

My backup server is a raid 5 array with three different hard drive manufacturers :) Never had an issue.

Oh wow, this is even tougher than my plan. So I guess it should be OK for me too then. Thanks.
    In anyway, I have to try to use the 2 different HD first, in case it doesn't work, I can always buy an extra drive later.

Hi,

I am preparing the hardware to build a NAS server with 2 x 4TB SATA drives, mounted in mirror (is it called RAID 1 in OMV terminology?)

Currently I am using 1 Seagate drive Seagate Desktop HDD.15 ST4000DM000 4TB. This HD is currently mounted as 2nd drive in my desktop computer. It will be reformatted later when I build a NAS server. I need to buy a 2nd HD, the model above now seems to be obsolete and the Seagate warranty has dropped to 2 years (was 3 years). There is a newer model which seems to be designed for NAS Seagate NAS HDD ST4000VN000 4TB

Question: Is it OK to use two different drive models?

Zitat von "davidh2k"

Surfing with your NAS? Who would do that ^^. Tough this and watching Videos should be possible with Haswell CPUs

Sorry I didn't clearly describe the context specific to my scenario. I plan to put the server in the family room. It will just sit besides the TV. Currently I use a crappy media player AVerLife ExtremeVision. I figure that it would be convenient to use the OMV Server to replace that media player. And because it's a computer, so may be we can use it for some casual surfings.

Do you think if this kind of usage is OK or is it a big no-no to avoid absolutey?

Zitat von "tekkbebe"

It is my opinion that you do not need ECC unless you plan to use ZFS down the road. I don't think most people are qualified to use ZFS.

Fortunately it is in my habits to follow exactly your recommendations regarding memory quality: always use same modules, buy quality RAM, and I test Memtest THREE full days.

So EEC RAM is required for ZFS? I'll read more about ZFS to learn what it is about. So we can do OK with ext4 for example? Nevertheless, if the hardware is of good quality. If I use ext4 with non-ECC ram, what would happen in case of unexpected events such as power loss or hang up due to a software bug (let's say I am playing a video on the OMV server and the player hangs the server)?

Hi,

Is there a hardware guide for OMV? I am looking to build my own NAS Server for the fun of the challenge. My goal is to have a low power server which can do the NAS function nicely while allowing to use the server for some light tasks such as surfing the web ans watching some videos.

Many experienced users had advised that it is very important to use ECC RAM. This requires a server board and the solution is expensive and not energy friendly. There are cheap 2nd hand, used servers, but they are rack mounted and probably very noisy and energy consuming.

What are the risks of *NOT* using ECC? I suppose the pre-built NAS like Synology or Thecus don't use ECC RAM. If so, how can they get away with non-ECC RAM? In case it's OK to go with non-ECC RAM. Can you please recommend a desktop CPU & Motherboard?

Thank you in advance for any help.