Beiträge von new4u

Dear all,

I noticed that Samba got reported in systemctl as condition failed.

systemctl status samba  reports the following:

Code
    samba-ad-dc.service - Samba AD Daemon
         Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/samba-ad-dc.service; enabled; preset: enabled)
         Active: inactive (dead) (Result: exec-condition) since Sat 2024-03-09 06:03:02 CET; 1 day 4h ago
      Condition: start condition failed at Sat 2024-03-09 06:02:59 CET; 1 day 4h ago
           Docs: man:samba(8)
                 man:samba(7)
                 man:smb.conf(5)
            CPU: 35ms

Despite this, Samba seems to work. Maybe just a cosmetic error?

Thank you for your insights.

Dear all,

As always, first a thank you for OMV.

I noticed a presumably unintended change in Storage - Shared Folders - Access Control List. If any changes are made in the ACL in the permissions of the folder, choosing 'save' saves the permission settings. That is how it always has been.

New is that afterwards, when manoeuvring to another option of OMV (e.g. Dashboard) a dialogue box pops up, asking for "You have made changes that have not yet been saved. Do you want to discard them?". The options are "yes" (in red) or "no". If you choose "no", in fact the ACL modification panel cannot be left. Only "yes" lets you leave the current panel. However, this does not seem to make sense, because the status information on the right hand side of the screen indicates that the changes have been applied, and the subsequent dialogue box seems to be wrong.

Thank you very much for looking into this matter.

Kind regards,

Markus

Dear all,

I think I noticed a possible regression in the GUI of OMV regarding the scheduling of tasks under System - Power Management - Scheduled Tasks.

When I initially (months ago) set up a task of daily shutdowns every midnight, all was easy and clear. Now, presumably since a few updates, it is not possible to directly set a time for a new task or even only change a time of an existing task when choosing anything else than Certain Date. Consequently, for setting up / changing a scheduled task, Certain Date must be selected as first step for setting the time when a task should be run, and subsequently changed afterwards from Certain Date to e.g. Daily.

Am I missing something here, or is this in fact planned behaviour?

Edit: I noticed just before that the system did shut down despite the shutdown having been disabled it for this midnight, and also the changes, were confirmed, so no pending task remained open. Maybe something is in fact not exactly working as it should?

In any case, thank you to everybody for contributing to create such a cool solution as OMV is.

Kind regards,

Markus

Even if labelled resolved: Maybe you want to have a look at the SOPHOS UTM. Is free for individuals up to 50 IP addresses, and has the feature "country blocking", in which you can choose which countries are automatically blocked. I use this feature for the same reason as you; if I don't have people from foreign countries, these accesses from these countries can be automatically blocked/dropped without any further ado.

You need to register, and can obtain a licence free of charge for 3 years, with free renewal when expiring. Using it since almost 6 years, could not be happier. Download the ISO-file, and set it up on a refurbished PC with 2 network cards, it's an inexpensive, perfect solution.

Link to the ISO - you need to choose the most recent "ASG"-iso

I do my backups very conservative. But since it is data I want to keep, I invest some effort into it, otherwise I would delete. Also re-building a system to be working fully again is quite time consuming and grey-hair-generating, I prefer to go the easy way of backups while everything is working.

For OMV, I use clonezilla to make a full disk image, this is also copied to another PC as well as to two offline-disks, which are only plugged in for reasons to copy backups onto them.

The qcow2-images of my shutdown virtual machines I copy with "cp" via shell to a second disk on my NAS, and again to another PC as well as to two offline-disks, which are only plugged in for reasons to copy backups onto them.

Also the xml-files extracted with "virsh" for easier recovery.

So far, I am happy without data loss.

I can wholeheartedly support the usage of Openmediavault. What are my reasons for this choice:

*) Debian based, so no FreeBSD-stuff with which I feel less familiar

*) Friendly community here, always willing to help

*) Proxmox-Kernel for the pinch of extra testing from Proxmox for KVM-Machines

*) Developer listens to his users

I am using OMV since about 7 years, and it never let me down, never lost data, and it is continually and with prudence and foresight developed.

Seriously, I use it as my base for all my other virtual machines, and it is really stable and fun to use. Give it a try, you will not regret it.

Zitat

Apr 25 15:34:19 openmediavault smartd[489]: Device: /dev/disk/by-id/ata-ST1000VN002 [SAT], SMART Prefailure Attribute: 1 Raw_Read_Error_Rate changed from 77 to 78

Apr 25 15:34:19 openmediavault smartd[489]: Device: /dev/disk/by-id/ata-ST1000VN002 [SAT], SMART Usage Attribute: 195 Hardware_ECC_Recovered changed from 15 to 16

Could it be a hardware related issue? Because SMART seems not totally happy with your disk?

Did you recently install virtual machines in KVM?

Dear all,

Once again thank you for the input you have given me.

With filebrowser in a virtual machine I did not manage to include the shares I already have on OMV. It did not help that the maker of this generally useful program did not choose a less generic name for a distingiushed product; when googling for help, one gets lost.

The docker option is a bit a thing as I am not familiar with docker, so the learning curve only for one product was a bit steep, and I am not sure on how far to trust docker images.

The option of a separate FTP-client I will use for my more technical savvy friends, as I agree that FTP is actually great for file transfers.

Finally, and contrary to my own initial (and articulated) plan I used my virtualized nextcloud and the external storage plugin to include my nfs-shares of OMV. In fact it was even possible to avoid displaying folders to users who were not given access to them.

If anybody cares, I am willing to give a detailed explanation how I did it.

Thank you once again, and please feel free to let me know if I can provide any little detail which might be of interest for you.

Hello,

To my mind come two options:
    1) check in your router or firewall if the IP-address you used to have is still the same; maybe it has been changed, and this would be the easiest thing to rectify.

2) Maybe try running from the shell

Code
    omv-firstaid

omv-firstaid Usage

Maybe this brings you quick and easy back to normal.

Dear all,

Thank you for your comments and your input. I will look at the ideas you gave me.

To explain why I think that the browsers will really stop supporting FTP, I provide two links; one from a few days ago, and one already from March 2020 (unfortunately both only in German).

https://www.golem.de/news/mozi…hmeissen-2104-155786.html

https://www.heise.de/newsticke…-FTP-Support-4688393.html

I somehow hoped there might be an OMV-plugin in development enabling HTTPS for file access, but this does not seem to be the case.

Thank you once again for your input and consideration.