Beiträge von fryman

I have a slightly less powerful machine (Core2 Duo E4700 @2.6ghz, 2 GB RAM) that can do everything you have listed. You should be fine.

For plex it won't quite be able to transcode 1080p, but doesn't sound like you need it. Just set plex media player on any connecting PCs to allow direct play and direct stream. This way the front-end machine will do the heavy lifting and put very little load on the OMV server. It will be able to transcode for 1 or 2 tablets just fine.

Don't bother worrying about the video card. You will use it once to install and then do everything from a web browser. My setup doesn't even have a video card...

It seemed a consumer-grade SSD was overkill so I got a Kingspec DOM. I haven't done any speed testing but manufacturer specs are on-par with low-end SSD drives and it seems plenty fast for OMV purposes. 16GB for $27 shipped. Bought on ebay.

Kingspec claims for write endurance: "8 years @ 100GB write and erase per day" or sometimes: "80 years @ 10GB write and erase per day"

I am not familiar with Kingspec so take this claim with a grain of salt. But for $30 I am ok if the thing wears out after a few years.

I have no idea how much write and erase occurs with OMV. I leave my system on all the time, and it's been running for 1.5 years without any hitches so far. Wish I could say the same for the data drives actually..

What is the output of:

grep -r stable /etc/apt/*
    grep -r precise /etc/apt/*

I still have the issue

Zitat

What is the output of (as root): apt-get update

When I attempt to update from the webGUI, the new window opens titled "Installing Updates" as usual but soon hangs. It displays the following:

Reading package lists...
    Building dependency tree...
    Reading state information...

Then nothing. Anyway I can fix this from command line?

Thanks,
    -Sean

Long post, lol. You might get more responses if you summarize just a few important questions.

I do know that you can grow a RAID5 in OMV (although I have never tried doing so). I imagine it would be similar to re-building an array (when a hd fails), which I have done and can say that it worked fine for me and was easy to initiate but took the system a long time to complete.

I haven't used a mac in awhile but I expect you could just set an SMB share for your music library and iTunes should be able to access the share location from any apple device. Also having a RAID5 in addition to a separate 1TB drive on a single omv system is not a problem. Although the RAID5 would be more secure for important files than the single drive since a RAID5 has redundancy in case of drive failure.

Don't know anything about rsync...sorry

good luck ;)

Exactly what I was going to say. Not sure how effective plex will be streaming over Wifi... but I guess you'll find out.

I do Plex streaming over wifi to my htpc and tablets, but everything is 802.11n. It works just as well as the wired pc. I don't really know what bitrate it's using, but plex on the living room TV looks just as great as any other HD content over cable to me.

I expect that 802.11b would be limited to low res and 802.11g *might* be able to do 720p. 802.11n or ac should be fine.

so I FINALLY got the replacement drive, swapped it in and rebuilt the array. It took like 5 hours but the array now says "healthy"

I didn't get the "degraded array" email this morning, but instead I got this:

This is an automatically generated mail message from mdadm
    running on Tabitha

A SparesMissing event had been detected on md device /dev/md/NAS.

Faithfully yours, etc.

P.S. The /proc/mdstat file currently contains the following:

Personalities : [raid6] [raid5] [raid4]
    md127 : active raid5 sda[0] sdd[3] sdc[2] sdb[4]
    5860526592 blocks super 1.2 level 5, 512k chunk, algorithm 2 [4/4] [UUUU]

unused devices: <none>

What's that about? I only ever had 4 drives in this server..

I've been getting the following emails from the server:

Email 1:
    CRON-APT RUN [/etc/cron-apt/config]: Wed Nov 5 07:35:27 KST 2014
    CRON-APT SLEEP: 2262, Wed Nov 5 08:13:09 KST 2014
    CRON-APT ACTION: 0-update
    CRON-APT LINE: /usr/bin/apt-get -o Acquire::http::Dl-Limit=25 update -o quiet=2
    W: Failed to fetch http://ftp.kr.debian.org/debia…y/non-free/source/Sources 404 Not Found

W: Failed to fetch http://ftp.kr.debian.org/debia…zy/contrib/source/Sources 404 Not Found

W: Failed to fetch http://ftp.kr.debian.org/debia…free/binary-i386/Packages 404 Not Found

W: Failed to fetch http://ftp.kr.debian.org/debia…trib/binary-i386/Packages 404 Not Found

E: Some index files failed to download. They have been ignored, or old ones used instead.

Email 2:
    /etc/cron.daily/openmediavault-mdadm:
    MAILADDR sfryman@gmail.com

Yesterday I checked manually for updates in the webgui, and it didn't show any. How do I address these errors?

Thanks

You had this error for 3 years? I was told the offline uncorrectable error indicated eminent drive failure. I have the same situation (only for a week or so), one of the four drives in my RAID-5 and so I'm replacing the drive.

Why not replace the drive?

I do know that you can turn off the email alerts, but I doubt you can change the setting to only report an increase in this counter.

I understand that I run more risk with only 3 drives, but if I shut down the server my wife & son stop being able to watch US tv. This would make my life much, much more unpleasant :thumbdown:

WD will not pre-send the replacement drive to Korea and the RMA process apparently takes several weeks. My concern is if there is a problem running a RAID-5 minus one drive for that long? It will probably still have writes going to the remaining drives, and I don't know how this is handled.

Thanks

One of my drives started giving a SMART error: Offline uncorrectable sector. I contacted WD and they gave me an RMA number.

The server still functions fine, but I don't have a spare drive on hand. I have 4 drives in a RAID 5. If I remove the defective drive, do I have to wait for the replacement?
    Can I continue to run the NAS while waiting for a the replacement? I understand that I would lose redundancy, but I have all critical data backed up anyway.

Thanks,
    -Sean

This is very minor but,

A couple times a day I get an email like so:

CRON-APT RUN [/etc/cron-apt/config]: Thu Oct 2 04:00:01 KST 2014
    CRON-APT SLEEP: 1840, Thu Oct 2 04:30:41 KST 2014
    CRON-APT ACTION: 3-download
    CRON-APT LINE: /usr/bin/apt-get -o Acquire::http::Dl-Limit=25 dist-upgrade -d -y -o APT::Get::Show-Upgraded=true
    Reading package lists...
    Building dependency tree...
    Reading state information...
    The following packages will be upgraded:
    openmediavault
    1 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
    Need to get 728 kB of archives.
    After this operation, 5120 B of additional disk space will be used.
    Get:1 http://packages.openmediavault.org/public/ kralizec/main openmediavault all 1.0.24 [728 kB]
    Fetched 728 kB in 28s (25.6 kB/s)
    Download complete and in download only mode

Any way I can tell it to just automatically upgrade? I couldn't find this option anywhere.

Thanks

I'm changing the thread to "resolved", since I have several solutions (even if not optimal).

For the time being, I'm using the 32-bit version on my DOM and haven't noticed any decrease in performance. The IDE to esata adapters I found were too expensive to be worthwhile. I did find some cheap esata to sata + usb (for power) cables. I think I could use these to install a laptop drive or ssd inside the NAS. I could also use them to expand my NAS capacity by adding any sata drive externally, although I haven't figured out what kind of enclosure I could use for that.

Thanks for the help & advice!

There have been changes for OMV ver 1.X (related to Debian "Wheezy") that affect installation on the SS4200

The ide module is now called pata_legacy for Debian. Replace ide_generic with pata_legacy in all instructions above.

The 64-bit debian kernel does not have pata_legacy. So, you have to use the 32-bit. I think it would be possible to compile your own custom kernel with the appropriate modules, but I'm not knowledgeable enough to do that.

Hmm.. what about putting the IDE drive in an external enclosure? Of course, one might argue.. it's time to let the IDE go, and pick up a SATA or SSD drive.

The internal SATA ports are all filled with data drives. The DOM is basically a small SSD. Booting from the DOM using IDE is pretty speedy actually, and noticeably faster than booting from USB.

Using an external enclosure I'd have to plug into either USB 2.0 (ug) or esata. I think the esata would be fastest, but it's less elegant. I'd rather have everything contained in one little box hidden under the printer. Plus I would have to buy new hardware.

One could argue that the whole setup is due for an upgrade, but it does everything I want. This is primarily a NAS, and xfer over the LAN is already as fast as it can be. Using Plex I was able to transcode a single HD stream or several SD streams. Sickbeard & couchpotato don't seem to tax the system at all.

I could just go back to ver 0.5, which was working fine. I upgraded mostly because I like to tinker ;) Also I do want to try the sickrage fork

During boot while installed on the PC I noticed the ide_generic module was giving an error (not found or something like that). I was using ide_generic in order to enable the IDE slot in my SS4200 (this is where my DOM is installed, used as boot drive). Did some googling & It looks like the ide_generic module is no longer in the wheezy 64-bit kernel. It is only in the 32-bit kernel

http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=114295

I cannot find a replacement module to get my IDE port back. I'm still looking...but even if I cannot find one I have a couple of options:
    1) switch to the 32-bit kernel or
    2) use a usb boot drive instead of the DOM

I am limited to 2GB RAM in this system anyway, so is it a big deal if I use the 32-bit kernel?

Thanks for the help!