Posts by BernH

Yes i found it thanks. But i use ntfs formatted ssd so i cannot find the recycle bin in explorer or via mc. I want to delete the files who are in there.

I'll say it again. NTFS drives should not be used for data storage. They don't behave the same a a linux formatted drive because ntfs does not carry linux permissions and owners. NTFS should only be used as a temporary mount to copy to/from the linux formatted drives.

The lack of linux permissions and owners will cause problems with a lot of things such as plugins and docker containers.

If you wonder about these statements then perhaps this will convince you: https://lore.kernel.org/linux-…4.GX10769@hungrycats.org/

AFAIK, nothing much has changed since that was written in 2020. BRTFS RAID5 is not marked unstable simple because of a potential write hole.

My first time seeing an actual list of issues with btrfs, but it makes me very glad I didn't decide to use it. The self repair features make it attractive, but what good are they when bugs keep them from working correctly.

I will gladly stick to what I know works. As I said above ZFS or mdadm + XFS are my comfort level.

I have been personally using mdadm + XFS for about 12 or 15 years without any filesystem problems, and used ZFS on some test scenarios back then, but went with mdadm + XFS because my home system was not capable enough at the time due to the heavier RAM requirements of ZFS.

Both of those filesystems have long pedigrees. XFS was created by Silicon Graphics back in the early 90's (I used to sell SGI back then) and ZFS came from Sun Microsystems in the early 2000's. Both platforms were high end commercial servers and workstations, with a lot of expertise and testing put into developing their products, unlike brtfs which, from what I understand, is primarily the product of one guy without a large company backing the development.

Once again, I am not familiar with the router but if the isp firmware in it has broken static bindings the only other solutions are to remove the binding in the router and set the server as static. (Only do it in one place, not both), or, as I mentioned before, to insert another router I between and use that one as the lan dhcp server with its wan port connected to your isp’s router.

Unfortunately, some isp’s do break basic functions like this with their custom firmwares.

[…]

We may have already went through it, but you obviously don't understand what you are looking at and/or are reluctant to release the information required to help you. That picture is exactly what I was asking/talking about reserving an IP address. It equates a mac address with an ip address. That is a static binding.

If that mac address and ip address is the info from the server, the IP should never change. If you have that set to a static binding and you have set a different IP as static in the server, you will have network problems because you are trying to give the same mac address 2 different ip addresses.

I was asking what qbitTorrent docker, not what version of qbitTorrent is inside the docker. The reason I asked is because dockers are not maintained by OMV. They are maintained by someone else, and not all containers operate the same. You may be running one that someone else has tried and can pass on their experiences.

You said after configuring your network, you are getting Network

Unreachable errors. Is this from inside the docker container or on the server in general. If it’s the server in general, you likely have problems besides docker.

From the server console or ssh:

Can you ping google.com? Can you ping 8.8.8.8? If you can ping the ip but not the domain, you have a dns problem. If you can’t ping either, you have a network problem.

To alleviate most network configuration issues, I would recommend that you set the server to use dhcp and reserve the desired ip address for the server in your router. This way all network setting are automatic from the router.

The other possible network problems are usually bad/loose cables or wrong drivers loaded for a NIC (I see you have a Realtek NIC. If you are not running omv 7, you may not have the drivers for the card loaded as older Debian versions didn’t have the Realtek drivers in the basic install).

I don’t use a pi. An x64 based omv install creates a recycle bin if you enable it on a samba share. If you don’t enable it, it doesn’t get created. If it is created it is a directory called .recycle in the root of the share.

7. Local DNS and/or add blocking final steps

You can now configure your systems to use pi-hole as their DNS server by either setting up a manual DNS configuration on each device, or if your router supports it, setting it to give out the pi-hole IP address to any dhcp clients. However, with the wide variety of devices and routers, this is something beyond the scope of this tutorial.

You will note that in my OMV interface configuration, I have my pi-hole lxc ip 192.168.2.53 set as the first DNS server, but I have configured other DNS servers as additional ones just in case my LXC isn't running, so that OMV can still get updates. My router is not configured to hand out the pi-hole as a DNS server currently. It does support the function, but I have not tried it as it is a new router I just got and I have a little bit of further network setup I need to do with my IPTV boxes before I can set that option.

Alternatly, you can even use pi-hole as a dhcp server, but that would require some extra network magic to set a static IP within the pi-hole LXC instead of using your router, and disabling the dhcp server in your router. The downside of this is that the LXC and consequently your OMV server needs to be running for your network to work at all.

In depth configuration guides for pi-hole can be found on the pi-hole docs site.

Post-Install - Pi-hole documentation

6. Updating pi-hole.

Since we are running in an LXC and it essentially behaves like a separate computer, we will have to manually update the OS and pi-hole periodically.

To do this, we will have to once again ssh into OMV and connect to the pi-hole console.

sudo virsh -c lxc:/// console pihole

Update the OS

apt-get update

apt-get upgrade -y

Update pi-hole

pihole -up

Once done, log out of the pi-hole console with exit and close the console with Ctrl+]

4. Install pi-hole

From here we will be following the official install instructions from the pi-hole docs page. In particular, I will be using the "One-Step Automated Install".

If you prefer you use one of their other install methods, such as cloning the git repository or using wget, please feel free to follow those instructions also posted on the docs page.

Installation - Pi-hole documentation

Since this One step install install requires using curl to get and run the install script, it's a good thing that we enabled the google dns servers in step 3.

If you have not run the apt-get update command do so now, and then install curl with the following command.

apt-get install curl

Next we will run the pi-hole installer.

curl -sSL https://install.pi-hole.net | bash

You will be asked to specify an upstream DNS provider and if you want to install the web admin interface.

I would recommend that you do install the admin interface for ease of further configuration.

On the last page of the install process, as well as when you return to the cli, you will be given the IP address of the server and a password for the admin page login. Please make note of this as you will need it to log in.

If you were unfortunate enough to not make note of this information, you can change the password from the cli with the following command:

pihole -a -p

If you prefer to have a more personalized password go ahead and run that command to change it now.

Once done, log out of the pi-hole console with exit and close the console with Ctrl+]

3. Accessing the LXC console and performing the initial setup before installing pi-hole.

To access the LXC console use the following command (replace "pihole" with whatever name you used when creating the LXC):

sudo virsh -c lxc:/// console pihole

The default login is:

user: root

password: openmediavault

If you wish, you can change the password using:

passwd root

Let's also change the host name so that the prompt is not showing LXCNAME, using the following command. This will be visible if you logout (exit) and log in again.

hostnamectl hostname pihole

Next we need to enable a DNS server to use for any further software downloads and installs. To do this we are going to use vi, my least favourite cli text editor, since it is the only one that exists on the LXC at this moment.

vi /etc/systemd/resolved.conf

Look for the line that starts with "# Google" (or another dns server if you are not a lover of google) and remove the # from it so that it looks like this:

Code
    Google:     8.8.8.8#dns.google 8.8.4.4#dns.google 2001:4860:4860::8888#dns.gooogle 2001:4860:4860::8844#dns.google

Next type the following to write the change and quit vi, followed by enter.

:wq

Now we can restart the network to load the new setting with the google dns servers enabled

systemctl restart systemd-networkd

Finally refresh the Debian repositories so we can proceed with the pi-hole install.

apt-get update

At this point, I would also recommend that you log into your router and configure the now active pi-hole LXC to have a static IP address.

You will need this set static to use pi-hole as a local DNS server, and the best place to do this is on your router.

As an optional step, if you desire, you can now also install a better text editor like nano and/or an ssh server so that you can directly ssh into the LXC instead of having to ssh into OMV and then use the first command in this section to connect to the console in the future.

If you do decide to do this, you will either need to edit the ssh server config to allow root login or install sudo, create a standard user and then add that user to the sudo group.

Since all of these other applications and regular user options are beyond the purpose of this tutorial, I will not cover them, but only mention them so you are aware of them.

2. Deploy an LXC to use for Pi-hole. I will use Debian 12. If you decide to use another LXC OS image, you will have to modify the instructions in the latter part of step 4 where it relates to networking settings,

as Debian 12 uses systemd by default to look after networking, while other OS versions will likely be using something else, such as netplan

Officially Pihole will run on the following OS's but I choose Debian 12 to keep it as light weight and as close to the host OS as possible.

Distribution----------Release-----------------Architecture

Raspberry Pi OS---- Buster / Bullseye-----ARM

Armbian OS----------Any----------------------ARM / x86_64 / riscv64

Ubuntu----------------20.x / 22.x / 23.x-------ARM / x86_64

Debian----------------10 / 11 / 12----------------ARM / x86_64 / i386

Fedora----------------38 / 39-------------------ARM / x86_64

CentOS Stream-----8 / 9----------------------x86_64

Pi-hole requirements state:

Min. 2GB free space, 4GB recommended

512MB RAM

Since this is an LXC and it's storage is just a directory on the host OS, we don't need to specify a storage amount.

As for RAM I never like to use the minimum amount, so I will allot 1GB (double the mimimum amount).

I will also allot 2 CPU cores, even though it can run on 1.

Make sure to specify the path for the storage directory and your network connection that we set up in step 1.

If you enable the "Show advanced options" checkbox, you can specify a mac address if required.

When all settings are made, click save.

When the LXC image is pulled, select the LXC in the VM list then enable the auto-start option and and finally start the VM

Please see the attached screen grabs for an overview of the settings and how to enable auto-start

1. Prepare a network connection so the LXC can get a LAN IP address.

The trick to using pi-hole for local DNS and if desired ad blocking, is to have it work like another computer by having it's own LAN address.

Docker deployments do this with a macvlan, and LXC's do this with a bridge or a second network port that is used by the VM and not used by OMV.

My network configuration uses a second port in my system that I have added to OMV but have not configured any settings on.

This is then configured in the KVM networks as a macvtap network.

I will include screen grabs of these settings for anyone wanting to do the same, but if you have only one network card, creating a bridge to it in KVM instead of a second port and selecting the bridge should achieve the same results. However, if you only have one network port and don't want to or can't add a second card, an even more functional option is to set up a host level bridge (br0)

Please reference the omv-exras wiki for details on these options

omv7:omv7_plugins:kvm [omv-extras.org]

Regardless of what network setup you choose, it needs to be configured before starting to deploy VM's and LXC's.

Btrfs with raid 5 is not a good choice. It’s raid 5 is not officially supported or stable

Zfs is good but does have higher ram requirements (official recommendations for zfs usually state ecc ram and 1GB per TB of storage if I recall correctly). It does have an optional gui plugin. For better support it is also recommended to install the kernel plugin and the promox 6.2 or 6.5 kernel as it make a newer version of zfs available.

The other option is to use a mdadm raid and your filesystem of choice. Ext4 is ok, but I personally prefer xfs as it is faster with larger files and allows for parallel I/O, but it does have the drawback of not supporting a filesystem shrink, although that is normally not an issue since shrinking a filesystem is rarely required.

NTFS drives are a problem. They don’t carry Linux permissions. OMV and all of its plugins and services are designed for Linux. NTFS should only be used to copy to/from the Linux formatted drives, and not used for your omv data drives.

That “Seagate doesn’t support Linux” statement doesn’t mean the drives don’t work in Linux. It has been taken out of context. It means Seagate as a company is not offering Linux software support, not that the drives don’t work with Linux.

This is quite understandable given the wide variety of Linux based operating systems and the differences in each Linux branch.

I can attest that exos x18 drives work fine in Linux and omv. I have a multiple servers at the office running Linux (Rocky and Debian/omv) that use Seagate exos drives (x16 and x18).