Posts by MadED

Yeah I tried that too. I accessed the share using adress bar with afp://.

But in fact it's a software isssue on 10.9. With a VM of OSX 10.8 on my linux laptop, about 95Mbps R/W. Mystery solved.

I'll try to install hackintosh 10.9 on my laptop for further testing.

So as I suspected, AFP <-> Netatalk is pretty shitty in 10.9

OSX 10.9 : +- 35Mbps
    Hackintosh 10.9 : +- 35 Mbps
    Hackintosh 10.8 : +- 95 Mbps
    VM 10.8 on Debian : +- 95Mbps

Maybe a netatalk compatibility issue. Anyway I never doubted OMV :)

Yeah I tried that too. I accessed the share using adress bar with afp://.

But in fact it's a software isssue on 10.9. With a VM of OSX 10.8 on my linux laptop, about 95Mbps R/W. Mystery solved.

I'll try to install hackintosh 10.9 on my laptop for further testing.

You have to take those settings with a grain of salt. You only want to adjust that for writing performance issues, should not affect reads from the NAS. For my setup, 256 pages was working okay but it wasn't best. I reduced it to 128 pages and I was able to get constant 120MB/s writes. That's with my current setup of x3 drives on RAID5. For a friend of mine, the 256 pages cache for stripe was best, and he has RAID6 with about 12 drives. Going under or above has serious side effects on the writing performance, I don't understand how people can adjust that at such an insane high level and expect good results. There's a reason for the Debian devs to be conservative about this setting.

Yeah already tried adjusting striping (128k or 64k gives best R/W), and it works well on SMB, but nothing on AFP. But as I said earlier, I'm happy with SMB. I keep AFP for TimeMachine only and it's better that way. I'm only waiting for AFP being executed from Apple, and then I'll throw a big party.

Then reach for the Sandisk Ultra Plus, pretty much the same drive but 3 Y Warranty.

Avoid "Sandisk SSD", and "Sandisk Extreme II SSD", the first freeze sometimes on linux (Custom Controller), the second has a bad price/performance ratio.

As the G7N54L could be found around 150€ on Amazon during the last months, I bought it instead of building my own system.

HP MicroLiant G7 N54L - 149,90€ Amazon
    4 x 4To WD RED SoftWare MDADM RAID 5 (OMV) - 549,30€
    RAM 2Go DDR3 ECC - Embedded with the server
    HP ILo CARD - 40€ on eBay
    Plextor PX-AG128M6e (128Gb M2 SSD + PCIe 4x to M2) for system - 99.50€

- 11.3Tb Available
    - Around 100Mb/s R/W using CIFS/SMB Share from Mac or PC.
    - Used for TimeMachine via openmediavault-netatalk plugin.
    - Data is synched up to Hubic using Putty and the Hubic script.
    - Remote Data access using OwnCloud Plugin and WebDav.
    - Remote Data access from smartphone/tablet using OwnCloud APP.
    - OMV system is backed up to 128Gb USB 2.0 key on the internal USB 2.0 Port Once a month using openmediavault-backup plugin.
    - ClamAV Scan every 24H

The New Sandisk Extreme Pro is a pretty good deal. 10Y Warranty and very affordable.

Marvell Controller / 512Mb DDR 3 Cache / Toshiba 19nm Toogle NAND

Well fun fact, in Leopard 10.5 SMB/CIFS and NFS Share could be used as TimeMachines.

Since 10.6 they prevented it. Maybe it will be back in 10.10...

And maybe they will release update for 10.6/7/8/9 for allowing again SMB/NFS TimeMachines, and maybe the world will be at peace... Oh wait, it's Apple...

The will more likely extend iCloud capacity... Or make you buy a TimeCapsule for the price of a kidney with a crappy 5900RPM WD Green Inside...

Well I did not plan to transfer 10Tb in once, but since I've been refused to borrow 1.000.000€ from the bank to install a multimode optical fiber between my house and my best friends flat (2km), I stated to consider Hubic.

I'm also interested in it because hubic is OVH, a company established all around Europe and USA. So in case of legal issue, I can cease the French commercial court. With USA based company, they will gently urge me to f**ck myself with a bottle of (diet?)coke.

Any way, a plugin will be nice, for the moment i'm manually launching the synch using putty and the hubic script.

I've seen in the unstable plugin a SSH from the webgui, which can prevent me using putty. Since unstable freaks me out, did someone use it on a daily basis ?

Same issue here. My work folder is both shared in SMB & AFP (same folder on the same RAID)

Using a Mac to copy on the AFP Share : +- 35Mb/s
    Using a Mac to Copy on the SMB Share : +- 100Mb/s

Nothing too harmful, i just work on SMB and keep the AFP for TimeMachine