Beiträge von pct06

@ftriscari,
    I wld agree but davidh2k also suggested me to put it on plug in requests so I made both.

@ryecoaaron
    I guess you are probably right.
    Since I posted, I have discovered that if you just browse network shares from Windows explorer, you cannot see used space. If you connect your share to a local drive letter, then when opening your computer in the explorer, it shows the used space per driver, including the network drive (the one that are on the NAS), just as it does it for local hard drives.
    Because it's very quick, I guess this is a request at SMB level that return this space usage and that this is not returned by a "du" command launch on the server (the SMB server might maintain in real time the used/available space value per share?)

So maybe there is a mean, on the server, to send the same query to the SMB process instead of launching a long "du" command ?

I have to check how it behave on a Mac

Hi

I would like to suggest a new plug in to help to monitor in the WebGUI the space used per share, whatever the type of share.

As shares are first directory on the disk, it would be very simimal in monitoring space used per directory on a local Windows disk with the TreeSizeFree tool (look at http://jam-software.com/treesize_free)

Let's take an example: I have one disk of 1To with 3 shares S1, S2, S3 of respectively SMB, AFP and NFS type. This mean 3 directory named S1, S2, S3 on y disk. Overall, my disk is used at 80% per the 3 shares.

I can monitor this 80% on the Storage/File System page of the WebGUI, but no how this 80 is spread over the 3 shares.

We could imagine to enhance this by 2 ways:

1/ adding a "+" button in front of each line corresponding to a disk on the Storage/File Systems page (number 1 on the attached picture).

When you click on the +, it opens a tree with as many lines as shares you have on this disk, each line with different columns: name of the share, type of the share, total space used by this share and the % it represent of the 80% above.

2/ adding a new section on the Storage menu on the left (number 2 on the picture) called "Monitor Space Usage"

When clicking on this, it open a static page with list of disk and space used, and then all the shares per disk with name, type and space used.

This is a kind of "automatic" version of the option 1 above that might be more easy to implement.

It would also an easy and graphical way to see the link between shares and disk.

I think this would be a great and easy way to greatly improve the way to manage storage space when you have multiple disks with multiples shares per disk.

What do you think ?

thx david

1/ I will check tonight. Usually I access my share via Network browsing, without mounting them.
    2/ ok, is there a way to add this on any wish list ?

I think it would be a great improvment for space management: be able to see globally how several disks with several shares of differents type are using the available space.

Hi,

I am wondering how to monitor the available space on a share?

I am running several shares (SMB, AFP) on the same disk for differents users. Sometime, a user cannot write on his share as the remaining available space is not enough. This brings few questions:
    1/ I have not seen how, from the end user perspective, you can see the remaining space on a given share ? (as you can do on a local disk). At least on Windows 7, I have to check on MacOS.
    2/ on the OMV server side, you can check the space used per disk (see attached picture), but not per share per disk, at least not on my version. Is this available on a more recent one (Sardaukar ? Kralizec ? or a plug ins ?)

In fact, I would like to see what shares are available per disk with the used space per share and the remaining space per disk ?
    This is exactly what I do on a local disk with TreeSizeFree tool (http://www.jam-software.com/treesize_free)

Thanks for your help.

My config: an old PC with several SATA and IDE disks with one dedicated for the system. I installed one year ago Omnius 0.3.0.17 then upgraded to fedaykin 0.4.38, with kernel Linux 2.6.32-5-686, motherboard Gigabyte GA-K8N-SLI with an AMD Athlon 64 3700+.